Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2024, 10:37 AM   #1

2021 Isata 3 - Significant water leak in overhead bunk cavity

Summary: Leak in 2021 Isata 3 with overhead bunk due to missing gutter rail screw - worth a quick inspection for other owners to prevent costly damage.

This weekend we took ours out for a local trip. During the trip to the campground, my son reported "rain falling on him" in the front passenger seat. Upon arriving at the campground and exploring the overhead bunk, and removing a few of the plastic surround panels, we discovered a veritable lake of water in the overhead bunk area. As we traveled, the water sloshed around, spilling out on us below in the cab area.... and whats worse is it sloshed just enough to land on the backside of the Firefly display panel, rendering it fried and no longer usable. (and an expense of $380 from Firefly through their new online store). I'm thankful - This could have been much worse.

We ran home, grabbed some hoses and were able to siphon out the (alarming amount) of water from the area enough to stay in the campground. As it turns out, we learned that if the panel goes out, the only thing you can't run is the heat/ AC which we didn't need on this trip so at least the weekend wasn't ruined.

When I got home, I did some further inspection in the area, and found a post which led me to the discovery that just as in the post by member maifimd, a missing screw in the black rubber screw cover at top corner led to the leak. I have no way to prove this but I suspect that the screw may have been missing since the factory. I removed both rubber seals end to end to inspect other missing screws and this was the only screw missing, but enough to land loads of water in the overhead bunk cavity.

Given the impact of this original poster impacting the MB electronics, and my now fried Firefly screen .... other Isata 3 owners with an overhead bunk - I recommend a removal those black rubber screw covers near the roof and ensure you have all of your screws intact, or at least take a peek with a flashlight to see if you have any moisture in the overhead bunk. It may save you some $ and some headache on a trip.

Original post from user maifimd (could not reply due to age):
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nk-263318.html
sdbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbruin View Post
Summary: Leak in 2021 Isata 3 with overhead bunk due to missing gutter rail screw - worth a quick inspection for other owners to prevent costly damage.
Given the impact of this original poster impacting the MB electronics, and my now fried Firefly screen .... other Isata 3 owners with an overhead bunk - I recommend a removal those black rubber screw covers near the roof and ensure you have all of your screws intact, or at least take a peek with a flashlight to see if you have any moisture in the overhead bunk. It may save you some $ and some headache on a trip.

I found about 1.5 gallons of melted snow and rain water in the cavity this spring and discovered that the horizontal seam above the passenger door needed to be resealed again since last fall. I could see a white track on the inside from the seam area after removingthe pooled water and drying the cavity. No further leaks during a trip to Florida in March and more spring rains.

Cheers!

Mike
(Winnebago Journey 34Y)
maifimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:

This weekend we took ours out for a local trip. During the trip to the campground, my son reported "rain falling on him" in the front passenger seat. Upon arriving at the campground and exploring the overhead bunk, and removing a few of the plastic surround panels, we discovered a veritable lake of water in the overhead bunk area. As we traveled, the water sloshed around, spilling out on us below in the cab area.... and whats worse is it sloshed just enough to land on the backside of the Firefly display panel, rendering it fried and no longer usable. (and an expense of $380 from Firefly through their new online store). I'm thankful - This could have been much worse.

We ran home, grabbed some hoses and were able to siphon out the (alarming amount) of water from the area enough to stay in the campground. As it turns out, we learned that if the panel goes out, the only thing you can't run is the heat/ AC which we didn't need on this trip so at least the weekend wasn't ruined.

When I got home, I did some further inspection in the area, and found a post which led me to the discovery that just as in the post by member maifimd, a missing screw in the black rubber screw cover at top corner led to the leak. I have no way to prove this but I suspect that the screw may have been missing since the factory. I removed both rubber seals end to end to inspect other missing screws and this was the only screw missing, but enough to land loads of water in the overhead bunk cavity.

If you could post a couple pictures of the area in question, it would be much appreciated!

I would agree with you that if there is a rubber seal over the screws, the screw had to be missing from the factory. I could see it loosening and backing out a bit but it would be hard for it to just fall out.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge64 View Post
If you could post a couple pictures of the area in question, it would be much appreciated!
Good idea- here's photos of the area and the flood remediation underway.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Good idea- here's photos of the area and the flood remediation underway.

Thanks!

Any pictures of where you replaced the screw?
Old 05-03-2024, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge64 View Post
Thanks!

Any pictures of where you replaced the screw?
Old 05-03-2024, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:

Perfect..... thank you kind sir!

Tags
2021, bunk, leak, water, water leak