Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #21

The dealer found a few issues with the front AC units plenum which were corrected to help improve airflow. However the front AC still runs a long time with minimal cooling performance, even with cold air coming out of the unit.
I think I found the cause, the location of the thermostat itself!. The front thermostat location is getting hot from the outside sun exposure and is not cooling down enough from the inside cool air. After running for 45 minutes the front area was very comfortable but the temperature reading was still at 84 dec as also measured at the thermostat location.

I will see what it will take to change the thermostat location which is not impacted by the exterior sun exposure or just set the front AC temperature to 86 dec to keep the front area comfortable and not have the AC unit run all the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat front.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	242145

Name:	Thermostat rear.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	242146

Name:	AC front issue.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	242147
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #22

FWIW, after I've camped everywhere from -15F to 115F, I've just come to grips with the fact that setting an RV thermostat is not the same as setting a house. Way too many outside influences. As you have said there's the heat (or in some cases cold) from the outside, theres also sometimes sun coming in. Othertimes there's just not enough airflow.

Even to this day I scratch my head sometimes when the heat is running and my weather station says its 75 inside. In the end, I turn the Heat/AC on when I'm cold and off when I'm not. As you spend time with the unit you'll start to find the sweet spots for temperature settings in different conditions, regardless of what the thermostat says.

I know when its borderline heater weather, the thermostat set at 60 is plenty (sometimes still needs to be turned off) but when its the dead of winter I need to set it at 67 or 69 to have any hope of staying comfortable. Same goes for AC, sometimes its set at 72, others 67.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #23

I think that is a hollow chase for equipment that the front sensor is attached. It looks like it’s in direct line with dinette windows? If you moved it to the front and then plugged the hole with a plastic cover, maybe that would help? If the wiring is long enough, you could remove it and pull around to the front and tape in place and try it before you commit to moving it. I have not been in a 28SS but that is the same temp sensor have in the 30FW that ties to the AGS temp start and it’s in the same spot.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
National Sales Manager

We have seen others, put a gasket behind the T-stat (it’s just a couple of screws) so that the air in that chase behind the sensor does not affect the T-stat as much. Some have gone as far as making a little wood stile and adding some insulation behind it. It’s just mounted to the tower that runs from floor to ceiling and is not conditioned space…also has electronics in it.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
tanagnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanagnos View Post
We have seen others, put a gasket behind the T-stat (it’s just a couple of screws) so that the air in that chase behind the sensor does not affect the T-stat as much. Some have gone as far as making a little wood stile and adding some insulation behind it. It’s just mounted to the tower that runs from floor to ceiling and is not conditioned space…also has electronics in it.
Tanagnos, That might be worth a try.

Milkman, yes moving the sensor to the front would help as the temperature measured on that wall was 75 dec versus the 85 at the sensor closed to the dinette window.

Fourwhl, good points, but I believe in Kaizan based on my German manufacturing background. Anything can be improved to make it a better product for the customer. Judging from this forum, we made a great choice buying a Dynamax Isata 5 30FW, as I see great participation from Dynamax employees with the goal to improve the product and customer satisfaction.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #26

Name:	Solution 1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	242167

Name:	Solution 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	242168

Success: After 1 hour the front thermometer dropped 6 dec while the outside temperature went up by 5 dec. AC not running, just no longer false reading the pass through column inside temperature. Now the rear thermostat reads 2 dec higher than the front.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #27
National Sales Manager

Great!
Speaking of “Kaizen”…this was already in the works by engineering minutes after the first post.

"Dynamax Because We Care"
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
tanagnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #28

Great post! So there must have been heat coming up through the equipment post that was effecting the thermostat.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanagnos View Post
Great!
Speaking of “Kaizen”…this was already in the works by engineering minutes after the first post.

"Dynamax Because We Care"
Awesome and Kaizen works. I ran the AC units and now both units ran for 15 minutes and decreased inside temperature by 6 dec when started and stopped at the set temperature.

Cost of the fix $,05 cents and 10 minutes of time.

Done and dusted, let's find a new improvement project.