Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

2021 ISATA5 28ss Awning Wire Covers falling off

On our last trip, we opened our awning at the campsite when one of the awning covers fell off (right one over door). I noticed the other side is also lose and about to come off as well. I duct taped them back on for now. It looks like there was some caulk or dark goo that was originally used in manufacturing to try to secure the covers.

Does anyone know how to re-secure this faceplates to keep them from coming off when opening the awning (besides duct tape? ;-)).

Thanks for any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF509310-8981-46DF-ACCA-2CEC112799F0.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	255226   Click image for larger version

Name:	75819E76-27D0-40A0-8D78-AB4B20D95EF9.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	255227  
Old 05-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #2

Personally based on my experience in autobody I'd probable use 3m VHB tape like is used often to secure various automotive trim.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Those covers are magnetic. If they are falling off, then it is more likely that sealant used to seal the hole where the wires come out, are actually preventing the cover from being close enough for the magnets to work.

Those awnings never used to come with covers. It was something that Carefree added as an "option" fairly recently (year or so). So the cover is not really necessary...but, check where the magnet is (as I am not 100% sure) and make sure it is seating all the way down for the magnet to work.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Those covers are magnetic. If they are falling off, then it is more likely that sealant used to seal the hole where the wires come out, are actually preventing the cover from being close enough for the magnets to work.

Those awnings never used to come with covers. It was something that Carefree added as an "option" fairly recently (year or so). So the cover is not really necessary...but, check where the magnet is (as I am not 100% sure) and make sure it is seating all the way down for the magnet to work.
Will be looking for that magnet as ours is falling off as well on our 30FW.

As always, Brian thank you for your solutions to our nitpick problems.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #5

On our 28ss, I had to rearrange the lighting wiring so it enters through the provided cutout. The wiring was preventing the cover from sitting down flush.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks Brian. As always, I really appreciate the insight to help us understand our vehicles better. I have the strand of LED lights out on my left awning arm (was that way at dealer pickup last month). Carefree sent me a replacement wheel of new LED’s under warranty. When I replace those lights, I will check both covers to make sure they are clear of sealant for the magnets to touch. If not, I’ll look to seal up better than with duct tape.
:-)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #7

Looks like ours is doing the same thing. Thanks for the fix.
Mike946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:

Brian, my coach never had with these covers when it was delivered. I know I was somewhat at the vanguard of awning delays and they may no longer be available. What is the easiest way to source them? There is no mention or illustration that relates to them in either the Paramount or Apex IPC on the Care Free web site.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Brian, my coach never had with these covers when it was delivered. I know I was somewhat at the vanguard of awning delays and they may no longer be available. What is the easiest way to source them? There is no mention or illustration that relates to them in either the Paramount or Apex IPC on the Care Free web site.
I'm not really sure it ever became a standard feature. They did not exist for several years that we were using the Latitude. Carefree started making them, we asked to try them out, we got a handful and then they said they didn't have any more. We got them in sporadically since. We may have them.

part number for the set is R001977

Old 06-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #10
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
I'm not really sure it ever became a standard feature. They did not exist for several years that we were using the Latitude. Carefree started making them, we asked to try them out, we got a handful and then they said they didn't have any more. We got them in sporadically since. We may have them.

I know how that works. Thanks for the P/N.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido79 View Post
…I have the strand of LED lights out on my left awning arm (was that way at dealer pickup last month). Carefree sent me a replacement wheel of new LED’s under warranty. When I replace those lights, I will check both covers to make sure they are clear of sealant for the magnets to touch. If not, I’ll look to seal up better than with duct tape.
:-)
All set on the LED lights. They were wired in reverse in manufacturing. I switched red-to-red & black-to-black and now we have a fully lit LED awning without replacing lights!

For the covers, I left the globs of sealant to prevent issues down the road with moisture. I used Phreak480’s idea of 3M VHB tape to stick the covers on more securely than the magnets. Looks way better than duct tape. ;-)

Thanks for everyone’s help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	075623F5-1F60-4560-8145-2DF74285C70D.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	255932   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5B6ECC4-7E5B-4258-9D82-4B767330083A.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	255933  
Old 06-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido79 View Post

For the covers, I left the globs of sealant to prevent issues down the road with moisture. I used Phreak480’s idea of 3M VHB tape to stick the covers on more securely than the magnets. Looks way better than duct tape. ;-)

Thanks for everyone’s help!
Glad you got it worked out, that 3m tape should serve you well for all kinds of stuff. If you ever have to remove it you can "saw" through it with dental floss or fishing line to split the tape and then more easily remove it from the surfaces. I like to use an eraser wheel to remove it, but have at time been known to just get it warm (either in the sun on a warm day or use a hair dryer) and rub it with my thumb.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #13
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
I know how that works. Thanks for the P/N.
These must be Unicorns. There is no reference anywhere on the Carefree or 4 of their dealers web sites to the existence of this part number or its function either as a part of the install or as an accessory.

So to those that have them, guard them, because there does not seem to be any way or source to replace them.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
Commercial Member

yes, I tried to verify that I had the right part number and it does not show up anywhere.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
These must be Unicorns. There is no reference anywhere on the Carefree or 4 of their dealers web sites to the existence of this part number or its function either as a part of the install or as an accessory.

So to those that have them, guard them, because there does not seem to be any way or source to replace them.
You may want to e-mail Carefree of Colorado to see if they can help you. They placed the order for the LED strip that I thought was burned out fairly quickly last month.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #16
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:

Brian - this is the correct part number and they are available from Carefree . Took ages to get through but once I did they were very helpful and I acquired a set.

The reason for the Guido79 problems is because these are secured by several magnets that attach only to the bolts used to secure the awning. So there is one magnet on the front upper leading edge exactly where Dynamax places the wire sealant. So that part of the cover that "must' be secure to resist air pressure is the one that has no means of attachment. I am going to try VHB tape as a work around but I think it will force that corner away from the coach and into the slipstream. It might make sense to silicone seal a metal tab to the top of the sealant covering the wire to which the magnet can attach. A strip of steel as used in magnetic shutter attachments is a lot thinner than VHB tape.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #17
Norwood Auto Italia

Update - I fitted the covers and as expected the upper leading edge cannot mate with its magnet. There is an indent in the center of the cover which places the rear of the cover much closer to the mounting bracket than anywhere else. This took 2 layers of VHB tape to set a secure fix.

The I retracted the awning and noticed that the front rubber snubber holds the cover on very securely when the awning is fully retracted. So in a sense all this discussion about securing these things is redundant because those covers (front and rear) are not going anywhere when the awning is retracted. I could see a scenario where the snubber end "adhered" itself the to the cover and when the awning was extended, the cover would be pulled off its magnets. This is easily addressed by coating the snubbers with a little lithium grease.

The ends of the snubbers are quite soft and I noticed 2 black marks on the side of the coach where the 2 center snubbers rode against the coach wall when underway. i can see that becoming an issue over time (scratching or even permanently marking the coach wall so I placed some clear film (for headlights) on those spots after some energetic polishing.

Tags
2021, awning, cover, wire