Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

2021 MB Sprinter Chassis Torsion Bar Recall

I have a dilemma. My 2022 Isata 3 FW is waiting at the dealership and, for all intents and purposes, ready for me to take possession. But there is a recall on the chassis.

From the MB website: "Mercedes-Benz AG (MBAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans, has determined that the torsion bar on certain Sprinter vehicles was not bolted to the torsion bar linkage by the component supplier during front axle assembly in accordance with design specifications. The shim on the torsion bar was incorrectly installed between the nut and the torsion bar, rather than between the ball stud and the torsion bar. Due to the incorrect assembly, the torsion bar may not meet operational strength requirements. Settling effects may occur between the journal flange and the torsion bar. These effects might reduce the bolt preload at the connection, which could increase fatigue on the journal and lead to a fatigue fracture of the journal, which could increase the risk of a crash."

Also from the MB website: "Due to the incorrect assembly, the torsion bar may not meet operational strength requirements. Settling effects may occur between the journal flange and the torsion bar. These effects might reduce the bolt preload at the connection, which could increase fatigue on the journal and lead to a fatigue fracture of the journal, which could increase the risk of a crash."

And from NHTSA: "In October 2021, the engineering team determined that a failure may occur, but not before approximately 25% of the required useful life of the vehicle."

Sounds kind of dangerous, and although this does not appear to be a stop sale recall, MB has directed dealers not to sell any of the 2,153 units currently in stock until the torsion bar is corrected. Currently, it appears that the parts to remedy the torsion bar are not yet available and I can't seem to get an answer as to how long it will be before they are available.

So do I take possession of this RV or let it sit at the dealer until the recall is remedied???
Juno 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #2

Doesn't sound like you have a choice. The dealer can't sell it to you until it's repaired if the MB directions are followed. Sounds a bit dangerous to drive.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Doesn't sound like you have a choice. The dealer can't sell it to you until it's repaired if the MB directions are followed. Sounds a bit dangerous to drive.
Actually, the RV dealer wants to go ahead and have me pick it up...I'm not sure the MB directive is meant for anyone other than MB dealers. But my comment to the RV dealer was 'If MB won't sell them without the fix, why should the RV dealer sell it?'
Old 04-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #4

Because he wants the sale and the space in his lot. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I wasn't planning on driving it. Of course, you risk losing the rig and having to pay more in the future for another rig. Not a good choice to have to make.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:07 AM   #5

I think the key here is a failure could occur at approximately 25% of the vehicle life. That’s seems like a very long time in the future. If it were me, I would pick it up and use it until the parts come in.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I think the key here is a failure could occur at approximately 25% of the vehicle life. That’s seems like a very long time in the future. If it were me, I would pick it up and use it until the parts come in.
That is the RV dealer's take on it. And I'm sure there are some units out there that have already been sold and people are driving them without worry. My only concern is that once I take ownership, the RV dealer is absolved of all responsibility for the fix.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno 2022 View Post
That is the RV dealer's take on it. And I'm sure there are some units out there that have already been sold and people are driving them without worry. My only concern is that once I take ownership, the RV dealer is absolved of all responsibility for the fix.
This is a Mercedes issue. The RV dealer has no involvement in the recall.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I agree. You'll get a recall notice from Mercedes and it'll be a Mercedes dealer who does the repair.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I agree. You'll get a recall notice from Mercedes and it'll be a Mercedes dealer who does the repair.
OK. I get that...but let's look at it another way...I understand that Dynamax is holding other units for shipment pending a fix for the recall. They won't release them to dealers.

Who owns the RV right now? Not me. Does the RV dealer own it or does Dynamax own it? The owner bears the responsibility for fixing the recall. Would I purchase a used RV from a private owner if there was a recall on the unit?

I emailed Mercedes yesterday and was told that if the unit is being sold as 'new' the RV dealer is not allowed to sell it until the recall is complete.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Its a gray area that I have complained about for some time.

It is a stop sale for an MB Dealer. The RV Dealer is not an MB dealer, they are technically the 2nd owner. Dynamax buys from an MB dealer (so we are first owner of the chassis).

We choose not to sell as a precaution. MB off the record tells us we can, I have asked for that in writing. Another technicality that I do not like...this is not a recall, but a "Pending recall". They have 60 days to actually have the fix and assemble repair parts.

Its a dumb mess.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Its a gray area that I have complained about for some time.

It is a stop sale for an MB Dealer. The RV Dealer is not an MB dealer, they are technically the 2nd owner. Dynamax buys from an MB dealer (so we are first owner of the chassis).

We choose not to sell as a precaution. MB off the record tells us we can, I have asked for that in writing. Another technicality that I do not like...this is not a recall, but a "Pending recall". They have 60 days to actually have the fix and assemble repair parts.

Its a dumb mess.
Thank you for your reply! It is indeed a dumb mess! It is a huge relief to know that MB has to provide the fix within 60 days.

One more question: Does the 60 days start on the date that MB and NHTSA issued the recall (March 8) or on the date that MB notified owners (April 11)???
Old 04-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #12
Commercial Member

March 8th from my understanding

Old 04-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #13

I have been waiting 9 months now for my Forester 2401T and supposedly my RV is built waiting on this recall with a do not ship. Hoping for a solution as 10 months is quickly approaching.
jmac705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac705 View Post
I have been waiting 9 months now for my Forester 2401T and supposedly my RV is built waiting on this recall with a do not ship. Hoping for a solution as 10 months is quickly approaching.
Bummer. I haven't been waiting that long, but I'm still disappointed that I won't be able to pick up my RV next week as I originally planned.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:29 AM   #15

Good Morning , any updates on recall ? I am also patiently waiting to pick up new RV
DRVmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVmoving View Post
Good Morning , any updates on recall ? I am also patiently waiting to pick up new RV
Unfortunately, I have no updates...I sent a message to the company that makes the torsion bars (in Germany) asking when they thought they would have the parts ready, but I don't expect to get an answer. It just made me feel better to send the message.

Maybe @bclemens knows something new.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #17
Commercial Member

I wish...

In a meeting with MB, they spouted the normal PC line of "we have 60 days after announcing the recall to file the forms and then another 60 days for customer communication".

OK, great, that's not what I asked. Just because you get 60 days does not mean you need to take 60 days. Do we need parts? Can't we just repair?

They have offered to "get on a call" with me to discuss further. I hate calls...it just means they don't want to put anything in writing.

I have (20) sitting here I can't ship and more every day. With the shortage of E450's and now this recall...we're running out of chassis to build on.

No one wants answers on this recall more than me.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #18

Is this a DO NOT DRIVE recall ? Or a DO NOT SELL Recall?
Old 04-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Do not sell. And then there is a gray area even with that.

It is a "dealer" do not sell. We are not a dealer, we are a 2nd stage upfitter. An RV Dealer is not an MB dealer. But that is where it gets gray on "letter of the law" vs "spirit of the law".

Old 04-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #20

I am doing alot of research as well . MB will not say its ok to sell or not

Tags
2021, isata 3, recall