Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #21
Commercial Member

We're not even sure that 100% of the scope of the vehicle is affected. I am working right now with them to see if we can have a dealer visually inspect. If not affected, then we can clear it. If affected...well, then that's a problem as I think it needs some parts and those parts are not available in the quantity they need.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #22

Please keep us posted , Thanks
DRVmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I wish...

In a meeting with MB, they spouted the normal PC line of "we have 60 days after announcing the recall to file the forms and then another 60 days for customer communication".

OK, great, that's not what I asked. Just because you get 60 days does not mean you need to take 60 days. Do we need parts? Can't we just repair?

They have offered to "get on a call" with me to discuss further. I hate calls...it just means they don't want to put anything in writing.

I have (20) sitting here I can't ship and more every day. With the shortage of E450's and now this recall...we're running out of chassis to build on.

No one wants answers on this recall more than me.
It seems to me that MB has had a very long time to figure this out...according to the chronology report on the NHTSA website, they have been aware of the problem since June 2021, and did their engineering tests in October 2021. So in essence, they've had almost a year to plan for the remedy.

So, 120 days from March 8, 2022 to provide a remedy...ugh! Looking at July before I get my new RV!

Mr. Clemens, thank you for your follow-up and please keep us in the loop if you do have that 'call' with MB!
Old 04-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVmoving View Post
I am doing alot of research as well . MB will not say its ok to sell or not
This is what MB told me in an email:

"The RV store if it is being sold as a new Sprinter is unable to sell without the recall being completed. It is not though a stop drive recall but customers are being told to be aware of the situation."

Of course, as bclemens said, it's not really 'new' because it's only 'new' when it gets to Dynamax...after that, it's a 'resale' but I'm not comfortable taking ownership or driving it if it has a safety issue...my dealer has 4 units on their lot waiting for the recall remedy.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:11 PM   #25

What year Sprinter chassis are affected by this Torsion Bar recall? Just 2021?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
What year Sprinter chassis are affected by this Torsion Bar recall? Just 2021?
Thanks
Only about 2,000 chassis that were built between February and September of 2021.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:01 AM   #27

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated…
Old 04-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #28
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno 2022 View Post
Only about 2,000 chassis that were built between February and September of 2021.
Is this a typo?
2,000 (two thousand) chassis built over 8 months?
No wonder there’s a shortage of MB units in the RV world.

BTW……when was YOUR MB built for your 2022 Isata?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Is this a typo?
2,000 (two thousand) chassis built over 8 months?
No wonder there’s a shortage of MB units in the RV world.

BTW……when was YOUR MB built for your 2022 Isata?
Not a typo...2,153 chassis during that period were affected. I didn't say that was the total number built. Probably why they are not in a hurry to fix them...just a drop in the bucket of the total Sprinter inventory.

My chassis has a build date of May 2021.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #30

I wouldn’t be afraid to use the coach. 25% is a long time.

And from NHTSA: "In October 2021, the engineering team determined that a failure may occur, but not before approximately 25% of the required useful life of the vehicle.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I wouldn’t be afraid to use the coach. 25% is a long time.

And from NHTSA: "In October 2021, the engineering team determined that a failure may occur, but not before approximately 25% of the required useful life of the vehicle.
I think I have decided that I will pick up the RV if either:

a) the recall is remedied or
b) Dynamax decides to start shipping units to dealers.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Just 2021's are affected.

I doubt that we will start shipping without clearance from MB.

I have reached out to them and suggested they do a dealer visual inspection. They have no way to know that 100% of the units are affected. Best way is to have a local dealer do a visual and clear what we can. We'll see if they can respond like that.

I let them know we have already had Ford and Stellantis do the same thing. let's clear what we can.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just 2021's are affected.

I doubt that we will start shipping without clearance from MB.

I have reached out to them and suggested they do a dealer visual inspection. They have no way to know that 100% of the units are affected. Best way is to have a local dealer do a visual and clear what we can. We'll see if they can respond like that.

I let them know we have already had Ford and Stellantis do the same thing. let's clear what we can.
It would be great if some kind of inspection could be done in the interim before the final remedy is available.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:01 AM   #34

bclemens, Any news this week for those of us in limbo? Of course I would rather just have my RV now and get fixed later.
jmac705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #35
Commercial Member

Nope. I will post as soon as I hear something. MB seems in no particular rush to solve this. I have given them suggestions, I have no idea if they even care to try them.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #36

I know it probably is not going to help any, but I have sent an email to MBS to kindly ask them to get off their arse.
jmac705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #37
Commercial Member

At this point. I’ll take anything.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #38

[I]“ … has determined that the torsion bar on certain Sprinter vehicles was not bolted to the torsion bar linkage by the component supplier during front axle assembly in accordance with design specifications. The shim on the torsion bar was incorrectly installed between the nut and the torsion bar, rather than between the ball stud and the torsion bar. “[I]

As I read the recall the torsion bar was miss assembled, i.e. the shim was installed in the incorrect location. Why can’t it be dis-assembled and re-assembled correctly? It is new after all and the parts, I would think, would not be damaged.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno 2022 View Post
Unfortunately, I have no updates...I sent a message to the company that makes the torsion bars (in Germany) asking when they thought they would have the parts ready, but I don't expect to get an answer. It just made me feel better to send the message.

Maybe @bclemens knows something new.
Do NOT take it before it is fixed. MB is really backlogged and you will be put "in line" - a long line to even get an appointment AND if there is no part now, it may be 60 or more days before there is even a part. We had a different problem with our MB and it was months and months.
SalmonAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkmann View Post
[I]“ … has determined that the torsion bar on certain Sprinter vehicles was not bolted to the torsion bar linkage by the component supplier during front axle assembly in accordance with design specifications. The shim on the torsion bar was incorrectly installed between the nut and the torsion bar, rather than between the ball stud and the torsion bar. “[I]

As I read the recall the torsion bar was miss assembled, i.e. the shim was installed in the incorrect location. Why can’t it be dis-assembled and re-assembled correctly? It is new after all and the parts, I would think, would not be damaged.
One would think.

Tags
2021, isata 3, recall