Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

2021 will not start and slide will not operate

Hello All,

I am reaching out to see if anyone can share some insight as to why my brand new 2021 DX3 34KD will not start with less than 3200 miles. Picked up our DX3 in Texas before Thanksgiving and drove home to Florida, parked it then tried to start it with no luck. When you turn the key nothing happens, no click, nothing. All fuses are good, batteries are good. Had it towed to Detroit Diesel an hour away who got it to start one time after jumping the starter and then no start again. Had it towed 2 hrs away to a Freightliner dealership who replaced the starter. Drove it home and started it several times just to ensure that all was working. Then three days later the RV will not start again with same symptoms.

Second problem now is that the main living slide will not retract regardless of shore power or generator being on but has no fault lights illuminated. Bedroom slide works fine.

Great way to start my retirement looking at my new RV instead of being on the road!
gkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Norwood Auto Italia

First thing you have to do is disconnect from Shore power and turn off all the battery power to the entire coach. Something is draining your coach and truck batteries.

Wait for an hour for them to settle down at their "rest voltage"

Then measure the voltage at the truck and coach. Each one separately. They should be 13.6v if fully charged (13.8 for LiPo).

I am going to assume that at least one and possibly all are below this number and below a minimum of 12.? volts.

If its just one battery, you have a failed cell and the battery needs to be replaced. Probably under warranty by a licensed dealer for that type. If more than one battery, the problem probably lies in your battery input manager (BIM). In any event you need to put a HD automotive battery charger on all the batteries and at least get them up to a nominal voltage over 13.0 after a one hour rest. The switch on the coach power and start the truck engine or generator. The slides should move correctly but you need to monitor this voltage closely. Its not a file and forget situation.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkinney View Post
Hello All,

I am reaching out to see if anyone can share some insight as to why my brand new 2021 DX3 34KD will not start with less than 3200 miles. Picked up our DX3 in Texas before Thanksgiving and drove home to Florida, parked it then tried to start it with no luck. When you turn the key nothing happens, no click, nothing. All fuses are good, batteries are good. Had it towed to Detroit Diesel an hour away who got it to start one time after jumping the starter and then no start again. Had it towed 2 hrs away to a Freightliner dealership who replaced the starter. Drove it home and started it several times just to ensure that all was working. Then three days later the RV will not start again with same symptoms.

Second problem now is that the main living slide will not retract regardless of shore power or generator being on but has no fault lights illuminated. Bedroom slide works fine.

Great way to start my retirement looking at my new RV instead of being on the road!
bedroom slide works fine...key in or out? If it works one way (key out) try the front slide with the key in the ON position.

starting issues are normally related to the start (recently with FL). there was someone else having a stating issue and I posted a link to a video where a guy pulls a fuse in the engine bay and re-seats it. Try a search for "won't start" with bclemens as the user and see if you can track that one down. I about about to hit the road for a bit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

DX3 started this morning

Well happy Monday as I tried to start the RV this morning and SHAZAM it fired up. Slide is in but now my leveling system has every light illuminated and will not turn off or respond to any buttons pressed. I am driving the RV back to the Freightliner dealership today for further diagnoses.

Brian, thanks for responding yesterday. I appreciate any advice as to how to help the Fort Myers Freightliner dealership understand how to find the problem. Should I have them contact Dave Klockow from Hill Truck Sales for assistance?

Gregg
Old 01-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Yes, I would have them each out to Klockow. Start gets warm and this seems to happen.

As for jacks...hit retract all, see what it says then.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes, I would have them each out to Klockow. Start gets warm and this seems to happen.

As for jacks...hit retract all, see what it says then.
I have learned to to do a "Retract all" on the levelers whenever I am heading out. Even if they are not down because they seem to slip down a little bit over time and beep.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #7

Exclamation

Assuming you have the LCI leveling system, if all the lights on the leveler control pad are flashing, press all four of the directional arrows (front, rear, left and right) at the same time. That should reset it.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #8

I don't have a Dynamax but my LCI system would all light up when the flag breaker switch near the batteries was tripped. Flip the breaker flag back up and see if that cures the issue. Here's what one looks like...flip up the yellow part.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFla View Post
Assuming you have the LCI leveling system, if all the lights on the leveler control pad are flashing, press all four of the directional arrows (front, rear, left and right) at the same time. That should reset it.
It is not LCI levelers. We don't use them at Dynamax. We used Power Gear (way in the past) and Equalizer since at least 2015

Old 01-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #10

Problem found

Just picked up the DX3 from Freightliner and they are confident the problem was with a signal wire that was rubbing against L- bracket causing a short to the starter solenoid.

Leveling system is working properly after the power was restored from batteries.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkinney View Post
Just picked up the DX3 from Freightliner and they are confident the problem was with a signal wire that was rubbing against L- bracket causing a short to the starter solenoid.

Leveling system is working properly after the power was restored from batteries.

Thanks for all of the advice.
I've been watching your thread (not contributing because I didn't have anything intelligent to say) but am super happy you got it resolved. Nothing sucks more than buying something new and having problems already.

I've had several manufacturer's RV and even my last Newmar Diesel pusher that I thought was going to be so great turned out to be the biggest POS of all of them. My Dynamax though has an issue once in a while has been FANTASTIC.

I'd hate to see someone buy a new Dynamax and have issues right off the bat but it looks like a freak thing and you can now enjoy your new unit.

I will say one thing... Between Brian and Dynamax's customer service, they make the painful spots much better.

Happy camping...

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, slide