Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK_Isata5 View Post
Does the 3000 have a built in RV-C? I just noticed on the electrical bay photo that there was a ME-RVC so I assumed it was not the 3000 inverter but I could be mistaken.

DK
It does....and that does not look like the Hybrid case, so it is likely not.

However, it could also be that it is not using the inside Magnum remote and is using the RVC bridge instead. That would also trigger a different Inverter model

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It does....and that does not look like the Hybrid case, so it is likely not.

However, it could also be that it is not using the inside Magnum remote and is using the RVC bridge instead. That would also trigger a different Inverter model
Apologies for the delay in response folks. Still having the same issue.

Brian, I am kinda lost when you mention the RV not using the inside magnum remote and the RVC bridge. Would you mind dumbing that down a bit for me?
Code3bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3bell View Post
Apologies for the delay in response folks. Still having the same issue.

Brian, I am kinda lost when you mention the RV not using the inside magnum remote and the RVC bridge. Would you mind dumbing that down a bit for me?
Do you have a Magnum control panel inside?

If not, then it is using an RV-C (RV Communication Standard) bridge to communicate with the Firefly system and thus it is controlled by the Firefly panel and not a hard panel on the wall.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #24

Updated screenshots

Here are some updated screen shots from VictronConnect connect and pictures of my firefly settings. I wanted to mention again that I can only see one solar controller one VictronConnect still after removing and reinstalling the app several times.

The solar did start working suddenly getting around 700w daily but has since done dropped back down to 10-40w daily and the SOC is around 50-60%. This is quite the mystery to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA6C824F-332A-4F79-9319-222F189E8601.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	262155   Click image for larger version

Name:	7305F6C1-0FB2-4A2A-A93A-B50FB9679415.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	262156   Click image for larger version

Name:	E75D34EB-9A30-4CA0-AB7B-0B1ED487F501.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	262157   Click image for larger version

Name:	47A500A6-7A1A-4920-8F7A-55FCCA3FDEC5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	262158  
Old 09-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Do you have a Magnum control panel inside?

If not, then it is using an RV-C (RV Communication Standard) bridge to communicate with the Firefly system and thus it is controlled by the Firefly panel and not a hard panel on the wall.
Ah, no sir. I do not have the Magnum controller inside the RV.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
Commercial Member

And just to clarify...this really would not have anything to do with the Firefly or the Inverter anyway.

The focus should be on the Victron portion. You say SOC is 50-60%, but the battery shows 13V? Is everything properly set up in the victron app? AH's, batteries, etc?

Old 09-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #27

I believe so, however I’ve attached screenshots for verification.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C51E1CF1-DBD6-4C7F-9DA4-49FADDD239BB.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	262159   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C505BA1-C6DD-45DD-9524-9D46F5B20CC2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	262160  
Old 09-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Discharge floor is likely very low. That is why the SOC is off....

toshu posted a very detailed list of settings that might be helpful.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...xhCpRr2yDMSPWU

Old 09-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #29

Thanks Brian, and thanks Toshu. I’ve set the discharge floor to 0% and mirrored all settings shown in the thread you linked. No effect.

Do you think the controller(s) or the RV-c is bad? Anyway for me to diagnose them?
Old 09-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #30

I have my max charged voltage set to 14.6
I see yours is at 14.3. I don’t think this will change anything but you might want to take out as many variables as possible?
DK_Isata5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Brian, and thanks Toshu. I’ve set the discharge floor to 0% and mirrored all settings shown in the thread you linked. No effect.

Do you think the controller(s) or the RV-c is bad? Anyway for me to diagnose them?
No effect on what though?

RV-C is only for the inverter and we do not have an inverter problem. That's why I said to take the inverter and Firefly out of the equation, only need to focus on Victron. Solar seems to be "working" at times. So either it is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, but maybe you don't see it that way (IE it is not charging because the voltage is fine), or it is working intermittently which would typically be a loose connection.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #32

The MPPT controllers WILL output battery voltage even if there is no connection to the battery.

Use a voltmeter between the MPPT battery + output and the battery +. There should be zero volts. Same with the negative terminals. If not, measure each connection in the path until you find the "open".

I notice you have circuit breakers between the MPPT battery outputs and the solar master switch. Make sure these aren't tripped/bad.

For the MPPT that is not showing up in VictronConnect:
Look on the phone's bluetooth page and see if it's reporting there. If it is, try deleting the device from the bluetooth menu. Make sure you have the PIN code because VictronConnect will ask for it again!!! Do NOT attempt to connect to the device in the bluetooth menu. Do this only from VictronConnect.

If you need to reset the PIN code for any Victron Smart device, you will need the PUK code. This is generally on a sticker somewhere on the unit, possibly on the back/bottom.

If you are not seeing the device in the phone's bluetooth menu, try removing both solar and battery power from the controller to reset it. Then connect battery power only. Check to see if it shows up in VictronConnect. If not, suspect a bad MPPT controller.

If everything checks out wiring wise, make sure your MPPT controllers are programmed properly. If the absorption voltage is set too low, this could explain why they think the battery is already charged.

Absorption voltage: 14.2-14.6
Float voltage: 13.2-13.4
Equalization voltage: 13.2 to disable equalization
Temperature compensation: 0
Tail current: 4% of battery bank capacity

Check your battery specs for exact values.

On the BMV:

Turn OFF Battery starts synchronized or your SOC will be reset each time you power cycle the BMV.

According to Victron, the Battery Charged voltage for the BMV should be set to 13.2 volts for a 12 volt battery.

The "Discharge floor" only affects the remaining time calculation.
kwindrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #33

Thanks for the help this far, folks!
Old 09-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #34

Kwindrem, I’ve measured the voltage open and found nothing “open.”

I removed/forgot the MPPT controller that was missing from my VictronConnect app from my Bluetooth menu. It is stil not appearing on the app, however it does appear on my Bluetooth menu, see attached photo. I removed and reinstalled the app, again, still no joy.

I also adjusted the settings yesterday morning as you mentioned.

To Bclemens point, maybe the solar is working correctly and I am just ignorant to the fact? As a layman I tend to believe that is my SOC is at ~30% and dropping, and my solar is showing a max daily output of 10-40watts that something is not working properly. Am I way off here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3627C575-78FA-4938-B86D-D7865485D54A.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	262542   Click image for larger version

Name:	3BE249C3-F8EB-44A9-8711-EAA49CB3F0A2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	262543   Click image for larger version

Name:	EF96F5DF-80B1-405C-BC6E-FE3F112133D9.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	262544   Click image for larger version

Name:	27CB2FCE-1BF6-4639-B00C-CFE35FD29B2E.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	262545   Click image for larger version

Name:	8EDCA724-934F-4A26-8A4F-1F7183E4AFCB.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	262546  

Old 09-09-2021, 11:43 AM   #35

Also, I should mention that the rig is sitting in my driveway with 7-8hrs of sun daily. We have nothing turned on in the rig (lights, fridge, etc..).
Old 09-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #36

Quote:
I removed and reinstalled the app, again, still no joy.
If you didn't clear cache and data (on android phones anyways, no clue about iphone) before removing and reinstalling it might not remove all settings FYI. Not sure if that's the issue here, but just something to know.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #37

Thanks, good info. I’m running Apple IOS devices though.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Kwindrem, I’ve measured the voltage open and found nothing “open.”

I removed/forgot the MPPT controller that was missing from my VictronConnect app from my Bluetooth menu. It is stil not appearing on the app, however it does appear on my Bluetooth menu, see attached photo. I removed and reinstalled the app, again, still no joy.

I also adjusted the settings yesterday morning as you mentioned.

To Bclemens point, maybe the solar is working correctly and I am just ignorant to the fact? As a layman I tend to believe that is my SOC is at ~30% and dropping, and my solar is showing a max daily output of 10-40watts that something is not working properly. Am I way off here?
Note the voltage reported by the MPPT is 14.2 volts while the BMV reports 13.1 volts. These two should be the same! The difference indicates there is an open somewhere in the wiring between the two.

First, measure the voltage across the MPPT's battery terminals and verify it's the same as reported by the MPPT in VictronConnect (not the BMV). If they are different at this point then there is a problem inside the unit and it needs to be sent in for serivice.

To avoid the MPPTs from providing voltage on the battery output, disconnect one side of the PV connections on each controller. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals. If there is a connection to the battery, you should see battery voltage. If there's an open somewhere, the MPPT's battery terminals will read 0 volts.

Each MPPT goes to a circuit breaker, then through the switch on the left, then tothe switch on the right. My guess is the wire from the first switch simply connects to the battery side of this second switch.

Test each circuit breaker for continuity. If there is no continuity the breaker is tripped or defective. Manual breakers will have a small button on one end or side. Auto reset breakers won't have the button and if these are open, they need to be replaced.

Next check for continuity between one of the MPPT positive terminals and the stud with all the red wires, one which leads through the fuse to the inverter. If there is no continuity the left switch is probably bad (or turned off).

There could also be bad wires or crimps.

The negative path could also have opens but I can't offer specific troubleshooting since the MPPTs go to a stud then the white wire leaves the compartment. This should be connected to load/system side of the BMV.

The batteries are located elsewhere so you'll need to continue the testing on your own.

Until you get battery voltage to both MPPTs I wouldn't worry about the missing MPPT in VictronConnect.
kwindrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #39

Kwindrem,

I'll go try all you suggest in a few moments.

When you say measure voltage at the battery terminals, do you mean the battery terminal connections at the MPPTs or the actual battery terminals on the batteries?
Old 09-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #40

Measured volts at the MPPT battery terminals, they matched what is showing on the vistronconnect app (not the bmv).

Disconnected a PV lead from each MPPT, had battery voltage on the MPPT battery terminals 13v.

I checked breaker continuity, got 0 readings.

Tags
2021, solar