Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2024, 12:14 PM   #1

2024 Isata 5 30FW - RAM real wheel extensions

Iím getting to know my new 2024 Isata 5 30FW, and noticed the rear wheels DO NOT have any air valve extensions for the inside tires thru to the outside tires. In other words, to check tire pressure on inside real tires, you would somehow have to crawl under the RV to check the inside tire pressure. This canít be correct Ö. Right??? Shouldnít there be a stem extender thru the wheel of the outside tire?
Tommyp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:20 PM   #2

Also, I thought these came with RAM trucks OEM TPMS systems. Lookís like an aftermarket TPMS system was installed ( 2023 chassis), and installed very unfriendly so you canít even check the pressure. See photos of the 2 outside rear wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	298691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2471.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	298692  
Old 04-14-2024, 08:07 PM   #3

Thanks for posting that issue. I'm glad you discovered that at home and not on the road somewhere. I looked at 2023 models and they had valve extensions. I'll be sure to check mine when I pick it up in a few weeks and post my findings. That's just not right.
Hach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:04 PM   #4
Commercial Member

They do not come with ram OEM. We had too many issues with them not reporting. Ram blamed us, but clearly it was a wide spread issue because they dropped them mid-2022 chassis as I recall.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:19 PM   #5

That's good to know. Thank you for the update, Brian. That's something I'll want to address before a long trip.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:11 AM   #6

Well, OK, not OEM. But why install them like this with no way to reach? And I donít see any valve extensions from inner wheel to outside wheel so you can check pressure. This seems like a safety thing, certainly a requirement for easy checking of tire pressure before trips. Doesnít Dynamax install these on the back tires?
Old 04-15-2024, 05:39 AM   #7

Looks like those are the inside extensions. ie The the inside rim valve extensions are on the outside rims. Can easily happen when tires are rotated.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:51 AM   #8

Brand new RV, only 300 miles, doubt wheels were rotated. Those look like outside tire extensions turned into the wheel hole instead of pointing out to be able check tire pressure. Inside extensions are much longer Ö. And I donít see them on the RV.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyp001 View Post
Brand new RV, only 300 miles, doubt wheels were rotated. Those look like outside tire extensions turned into the wheel hole instead of pointing out to be able check tire pressure. Inside extensions are much longer …. And I don’t see them on the RV.
May have been done at the factory. Either the frame factory or at Forest River or at the dealer or tire supplier. Those are the inside valve stems would only need an extension.

If all six are that type the tire supplier probably installed them.

I do not know at what point the tms / rims / tires are installed on the coach / frame.

Maybe those were set up to be on the front? Usually the inside dual and the front rim sit the same way.

I have had several dually's over the years.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:29 AM   #10
Commercial Member

We don't do anything with the tires/rims. We are likely adding the flow through sensors to the stock configuration...though, I agree, maybe we should just leave them off if it is adding complexity.

I do know the rears never have an extension, they are designed for the use of a reverse chuck.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:41 AM   #11

Hmmmm ÖÖ. OK. 3 questions: 1. What is a reverse chuck and what does it do. 2. Almost every guide would recommend checking tire pressure before leaving on a trip, without an extension on inner rear wheels, how is that done without crawling underneath RV to check inner wheel pressure? 3. If Dynamax doesnít add the TPMS and the Dealer says they donít add the TPMS and we arenít getting RAM OEM TPMS, who added these sensors?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:44 AM   #12
Commercial Member

1. https://www.amazon.com/LUMITECO-Exte...3184980&sr=8-4

2. That is what TPMS is for. It should display the PSI on each tire/wheel (unless you are saying there is no TPMS on the inner? That would be odd)

3. I said above, we added the flow through sensors (TPMS) to the stock configuration (valves).

Old 04-15-2024, 10:25 AM   #13

Brian, really not trying to be argumentative, but that is still is not an answer.

I have one of those tire pressure testers ( chucks ), and have used them all the time on the Dutch Star I just got so;d to move to the Dynamax. Not the issue.

You canít even see the inner wheel tire pressure stem or connection. Iím 70 years old and requiring customers to crawl under the RV to use the ďchuckĒ to check the tire pressure is not ideal.

Yes, all wheels have the TPMS on the tires. And yes, you can use the TPMS to check the pressure before each trip ÖÖ. But if the tire pressure is low and needs to be increased, you still canít get to the inner wheel easily. There should be an extension provided to the outer wheel. Plus the way they are installed on the outside wheel ( see picture ) is not ideal and even makes adding air to those tires difficult.

Iím not new to this game and Iím just saying I expected more on this detail from a quality manufacturer like Dynamax. For instance, until I weigh the MotorHome, it would be reasonable to have the air pressure at the door frame suggested Tire Pressure. It was delivered 7 PSI lower than that number at 88 PSI. So, as of now, I have to crawl under the RV to fill the inner tires, and figure out on the outside tires how to get off that TPMS and get an air connection on those stems that are facing inward thru the wheel holes.

Itís just not ideal and not good attention to detail.

I know you are trying to help.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:00 AM   #14
Commercial Member

I'm not even sure it should have TPMS yet.

The OEM version did not work, we took it off of the brochure at one point. I think when Ram finally stopped installing it, we might have tested a TPMS install, but I am not sure we ever signed off due to the space we had for install. I think the guys are just putting them on.

You are correct, it is likely not ideal and the TPMS should be removed.

The only right way to do it, is to break down all (6) tires and wheels and use a banded sensor. That is not priced into our build at this time. We certainly can...it was just not, as we got caught in the middle of Ram dropping their TPMS system and not having any other reason to break down the tires and wheels.

On the Sprinter, we installed aluminum wheels standard, so when we replace the wheels, we use banded sensors.

On the M2. They have large enough holes that we can use pass through sensors screwed onto the end with no issues.

The Ram is not condusive to either at this time.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:19 AM   #15

Well, TPMS system is listed in your 2024 brochure, so you should be installing them. And it looks like they work.

From a safety and convenience standpoint, I think having an easy way to check and adjust PSI on the inner wheels of a duly truck is a must Ö on all your product lines and should be looked into. Right now, looks like us RAM owners are crawling under the RV to adjust inner tire pressures.

Unless others have found a way to easily check the inner tires and adjust PSI. I guess, that is what I was hoping to find.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:16 AM   #16

Crossfire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5718.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	298746  

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:42 PM   #17

Borg Dually tire valve stems. Great quality. I have put these on all my RVs including my Isata 5. I put the TPMS valves at the end. Work great. The only issue is you lose the built in pressure monitoring but the rear pressure monitoring doesn't work well anyway.
ncrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:31 AM   #18

I'm not looking forward to dealing with this on the road, nor am I anxious to breakdown 4 brand new tires on a brand-new coach to modify it without experience before a long trip. I'm not worried about the outside wheels as I have plenty of experience with a dual head reverse chuck tire inflator. I am wondering if these are Alcoa 19.5" x 6" wheels and what the exact size of the holes are for the rubber stabilizer.

My thoughts are that this might work until my first tire change and make us all safe and satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/ALCOA-125392-.../dp/B07ZX9PWPF

Brian, if you would be kind enough to let us know if this approach could work, I would be very grateful. Thank you for that assistance. It would also be a cheap quick fix for Dynamax and their dealers. I'd do it myself, but my coach is currently being outfitted 400 miles away, and it's not due to be delivered to me for another 3 weeks. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alcoa Valve Extension Kit_.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	298870  
Old 04-20-2024, 01:42 PM   #19

Long post but to the point:
1. Do we have Alcoa rims?
2. What are the wheel hole sizes?

If those results permit this solution, then that would really help me get through my first couple of years with this coach happily. Thank you.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:47 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Depends on how ram indexes their wheels. They used to be Alcoa, but Alcoa sold the tooling. I have not verified if it is the exact same wheel or not, I suspect it is.

If they are indexed at the same hole, then this would not work, unless you pull the tire and offset it. You would have to pull the sensor, put on the extension, add the sensor back on, i suspect.

Tags
ram, wheel