Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #1

28SS Shakedown - Isata 5 vs Mama Squirrel

Doing two night shakedown on our one week old 28SS.

A few hours after arriving in the campground, I started smelling propane.

Got out the soapy water, and started working through all the propane connections.

Up under the differential, found a "rupture" in the low pressure propane line.

Repaired the line with silicone self annealing tape so we could finish the trip. We only need propane for hot water, so I kept the propane off except for dishes and showers. And this line is less than 1 psi, so should be minimal risk.

Next morning, smelled propane again while the heater was on. Mama Squirrel had returned and chewed the same spot, and started a second that you can see towards the back:

The good news is that this is an easy line to access through its entire run. I plan to take it out this afternoon to measure and hope to find a stainless replacement.

The best news is that she found the low pressure line instead of the high pressure fill to the tank.

For my first extended time crawling under the coach, I am pleasantly surprised how much room there is, and for the most part how easy it is to access things under the coach. Of course, Mama Squirrel found the same thing - the area above the rear differential is a perfect rodent winter home. I plan to try the moth ball trick on some of the areas, and maybe put some split looming or other protector where the high pressure line is accessible.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I have never seen a rodent chew on an LP line. I did have a customer that a mouse chewed the fuel pick up tube on the generator...that was a nightmare.

Great catch...I cannot fathom why a squirrel would choose that to chew on. He/she was obviously pissed at your choice in parking spot.

At one time, Mercedes-Benz used peanut oil (allegedly) to pull their wires. Mice loved that wiring.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

I had this happen a few years ago on a pup. You might try putting steel braid on any exposed lines. Try here: https://buyheatshrink.com/braided-sl...UaArzVEALw_wcB