Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #1

34kd question about overhang

Wife and I have decided the DX3 is the best fit for us. We have been looking at the 37Bh and the 34kd. After seeing both in person the 34kd is a perfect fit I believe, but it comes with a question.

So my question, may sounds silly, but with the 34 being 3 ish feet shorter, does that distance really allow for more clearance to make a noticeable difference in dragging the rear on steeper drive ways, or while dry camping in some of the less groomed terrain.

With the price being so similar, either models floor plans work great for us. But if I can have a little more lead way for my drive way, the 34 would be the perfect fit.
Jetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #2

Actually according to the specs, the difference is 2' 4". I'm not sure that's going to make much difference, but it probably depends on what the grade you're climbing will be.
The 34Kd has an 18' awning where the bh has only a 13'6" awning... otherwise the specs are similar.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #3

It's actually 2' 6" shorter, but the wheelbase on both models is identical. So, all of this length has been shaved from behind the rear wheels (the overhang). My guess is that it would be a pretty noticeable difference.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Actually according to the specs, the difference is 2' 4". I'm not sure that's going to make much difference, but it probably depends on what the grade you're climbing will be.
The 34Kd has an 18' awning where the bh has only a 13'6" awning... otherwise the specs are similar.
I actually did not notice that about the awning when at the dealer or while reading online! Thank you very much!

Our driveway sucks, the FR3 dragged the hitch pulling in or out.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
It's actually 2' 6" shorter, but the wheelbase on both models is identical. So, all of this length has been shaved from behind the rear wheels (the overhang). My guess is that it would be a pretty noticeable difference.
That’s exactly what we were hoping for, in our case a little shorter could be great. I’m going to go back to my dealer and see about a test drive to my house to see how she does with the driveway. (I didn’t think about that till my cup of coffee this am looking at my drive way lol)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #6

The overhang doesn’t hurt me much and I’m always dry camping in off road areas. I’m not sure my unit will ever see an actually hookup (except at the awesome Ohio rest stops!)

Once you move the hitch up and cut the brackets I haven’t had an issue, much more clearance.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

I should add in here since your looking at the DX3. First of all it’s a solid Coach. Zero issues with mine. Drives like it was meant to drive 24x7 for years. Solid!

A few things you want to do if your ordering.

1. Drivers seat. Looks comfortable and seems comfortable but after driving in it for a few hours I never could get comfortable. There are tons of chooses for seats for an M2.

2. Couch. I have the couch that turns into a bed. That part about it is great but the lack of reclining sucks. I wish I could have both but you should consider the theater seating, I hear it’s very comfortable.

3. Raise the hitch as I said in previous post. Do this right away.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
The overhang doesn’t hurt me much and I’m always dry camping in off road areas. I’m not sure my unit will ever see an actually hookup (except at the awesome Ohio rest stops!)

Once you move the hitch up and cut the brackets I haven’t had an issue, much more clearance.

—john
Thank you for the information. We were in AZ at Munds Park, an off-road Park and we really got to experience dragging issues on the FR3 we were in.

Hitch and rear air bag mod were definitely on our list of minor upgrades! This forum is such a great tool!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

As a side note, I'm pretty sure the 'hitch raise' mod is already incorporated on the new coaches (not really a mod from the factory...just a different setup to accomplish the same thing). So, if you're ordering/buying new, you shouldn't have to worry about that one.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
I should add in here since your looking at the DX3. First of all it’s a solid Coach. Zero issues with mine. Drives like it was meant to drive 24x7 for years. Solid!

A few things you want to do if your ordering.

1. Drivers seat. Looks comfortable and seems comfortable but after driving in it for a few hours I never could get comfortable. There are tons of chooses for seats for an M2.

2. Couch. I have the couch that turns into a bed. That part about it is great but the lack of reclining sucks. I wish I could have both but you should consider the theater seating, I hear it’s very comfortable.

3. Raise the hitch as I said in previous post. Do this right away.

—john
1. Will definitely look at different chair options for sure.

2. Absolutely will be doing the theater seating, the power recliner, massager, and heated was a huge plus for us.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
As a side note, I'm pretty sure the 'hitch raise' mod is already incorporated on the new coaches (not really a mod from the factory...just a different setup to accomplish the same thing). So, if you're ordering/buying new, you shouldn't have to worry about that one.
We will be ordering new, dealer has a few spots available in the retail order que I was told. We were told Feb/March delivery. We are in no rush, we just want to make the best decision, as we tend to keep toys till they wear out. With the 34kd being so new, we haven’t seen a used one anywhere.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
Thank you for the information. We were in AZ at Munds Park, an off-road Park and we really got to experience dragging issues on the FR3 we were in.

Hitch and rear air bag mod were definitely on our list of minor upgrades! This forum is such a great tool!
We already started raising the hitch. We had the lower ears removed, the hitch raised and we trim the cap to accommodate.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #13

Awesome to hear and thank for the update! That is something I wasn’t aware of!
Old 10-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

What are we talking about now? Major topic shift on this thread!

"Hitch and rear air bag mod were definitely on our list of minor upgrades!"

The forum wants to hear more about the rear air bag mod.

I would not consider that a minor upgrade. Is this vaporware? A unicorn sighting? I have never, repeat, never found a Freightliner shop or rep that would discuss moding the air bag spring system.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
"Hitch and rear air bag mod were definitely on our list of minor upgrades!"

The forum wants to hear more about the rear air bag mod.

I would not consider that a minor upgrade. Is this vaporware? A unicorn sighting? I have never, repeat, never found a Freightliner shop or rep that would discuss moding the air bag spring system.
From what I gather, it would allow Me to air up the rear for temporary situations for extra rear ground clearance. On this forum is where i heard about it, https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-131881.html

We are hoping to be ordering our first DynaMax dx3 this week, so I am brand new to this rig and the forum.

My father who ran a Prevost service center for 20 years says it’s a very simple installation, with his help. ��
Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

Vaporware

So, a legitimate Freightliner or other commercial air bag mod kit does not exist and you don't know anything about this subject - do you Jetguy.

Air bag mod kit is an interesting topic, but not the subject of this thread. I'm out.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
So, a legitimate Freightliner or other commercial air bag mod kit does not exist and you don't know anything about this subject - do you Jetguy.

Air bag mod kit is an interesting topic, but not the subject of this thread. I'm out.
Not sure if I am thinking too hard, or if I struck a nerve with you. Either way, you said you had never seen or heard about it, so I showed you where the information could Be found. I have tried to read every dx3 thread I could find in doing my research.

I read the thread that was posted in the link above. Very informative and in my opinion a great explanation. I am a mechanical engineer and although I do not work on motorhomes or buses for a living, with the assistance of my Father who has done this type of install on many busses I figured it would make a great father-son project. My father is in his 70’s, and he loves turning wrenches. Do I currently know anything about the actually install (beyond what I read) I would say not until we get underneath and access exactly how it would be installed, or if it was worth the trouble. With the 34 having less overhang it may not be necessary.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #18

That is my thread about the air bag mod. I can tell you it works just fine, I have to air up my rear bags every time I park or pull my rig out of it’s parking spot at the house. I can get about an extra 5” of height at the hitch.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
That is my thread about the air bag mod. I can tell you it works just fine, I have to air up my rear bags every time I park or pull my rig out of it’s parking spot at the house. I can get about an extra 5” of height at the hitch.
I can’t thank you enough for your detailed explanation of the install, I to have a very steep driveway so this definitely sparked my interest! Have a great weekend
Old 10-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
Señor Miembro

Tail swing

The shorter rear after axle will also help reduce tail swing which, IMHO, is alot bigger problem than dragging.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote