Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Consumer of Space

37BH TV Upgrade

I'v been thinking of upgrading the stock Sansui TV in the front of the coach to a level closer to my OLED TV's in the house. The problem is, there are limited TVs in the 50" size. My first instinct was to get a QLED or OLED, but the smallest size is 55". 50" is relatively hard to find in what I wanted, so I looked at 49". After measuring the cabinet, and reading different reviews I decided on a 49" Sony 900E.

Here's what it looks like installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3694.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	151516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3698.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	151517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3699.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	151518  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
Consumer of Space

I went through a few iterations to get it to sit flush.

First I tried to install it without moving the mount. The mount wouldn't quite lock in and the new TV was sitting too high.

I took a few measurements for the second iteration and centered the TV in the opening by moving the mount. The TV fit and would fully seat, but was sticking out. a bit more than an inch. I noticed that I could see the screws around the perimeter of the board holding the mount and got an idea...

I took everything back apart and removed the mount from the equation.
Measurements were taken and holes drilled directly into the board. Longer metric screws were used to fasten the TV directly into the board. The TV was test fit and the board/TV assembly were mounted to the cabinet using the perimeter screws.

Once I was happy with the fit, everything came apart one last time to make openings for wires directly into the board. Washers were used to provide a few mm of space behind the TV to allow some of the back vents to breathe.

If I had to do this again, I think it would take about a quarter of the time. I may revisit the project to try to emulate the swinging bedroom TV. There's quite a bit of unused storage behind the TV. For now, the smart TV/wifi from the house along with the improved picture quality are well worth the upgrade.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #3

Great job, TV looks like it belongs there.

Was the HDMI splitter box behind the TV?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
Consumer of Space

Yep, there's a HDMI splitter in there, along with two outlets. Lots of room for storage, too.

I dry camp quite a bit so I used outlet strips in a way that enables me to cut power to the DVD player and TV when it's not in use. I never liked that every time the inverter is powered up, the DVD players start up. I left a strip in the upper cabinet, and the lower shelf so we could plug random things in easily. The outlet in the upper cabinet is too far back, even for someone 6'2" like me.

I'm going to put in a WiFi Ranger soon and I'll post how everything is wired then.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
tagalex

sconnors11,
I'm in HB as well and recently upgraded to the DX3 and had some question about your TV mod. Is it on a removable mount or an arm? Im always messing around with my tech and would like to access the space and components back there with ease.
Thanks!
tagalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Consumer of Space

Drop me an email and you can stop by to see for yourself! It’s my user name @verizon.net
Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Consumer of Space

To answer the question, it’s not on an arm, but I’ve considered a hinge. It’s on my list... my very long list.

As it sits 6 screws come out and the whole panel comes off. Not very convenient.

Tags
upgrade