Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
By boondocking in the early spring, I see a need for the battery warmers in the middle of the night. In the early spring in the mountains, I have seen an 80 degrees difference between day & night. (60F in day & -20F at night) I want to be able to run the furnace.

What good is a heater if it only works when you have enough charging current?
You don't need the heater to use the battery, only to charge it.
WanderingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingPhoto View Post
You don't need the heater to use the battery, only to charge it.
Battle Born: "The batteries will no longer accept a charge once the temperature drops to 24 degrees F, but they will continue to discharge until the temperature reaches -4 degrees F."
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #23

Once again, a huge argument for installing batteries in a heated area.

I believe babcock said it best "if I'm not freezing, they're not freezing.

If in storage chances are no need to keep on charge like lead acids. If spending a night in the cold, batteries will either be warmed by furnace with no extra power draw if inside. If in an outside or exposed area, adding some foam board insulation and routing some furnace heat to the "battery box" would accomplish the same thing. Lithium require so little attention the compartment could almost be sealed from the outside.

Hopefully the internal heaters work well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #24

Thanks for the discussion. I had read the battleborn statement and was a bit reserved on the jump (money aside) because of the charging issues and storage as well. It seems solar charging may be the largest problem with not enough current to run the heaters and charge but then you would not want to anyway because you would only discharge the batteries.

Just a thought. Rather than move your batteries inside could you just run a furnace duct to the area and seal it up a bit better adding insulation or are they just sitting outside? Even building a box in the storage area and running ventilation to it would work.

With as much weight as you are taking on I would think this is a better alternative than adding more weight with supports. Not sure about your configuration and if this would be a problem with say a generator in the same compartment or not. Flexible tubing and insulation weighs very little.

What happens if 1battery in the group will take a charge but the others do not or is this an all or nothing thing and they are all synced? I thought each battery had it's own bcm which is why I am asking.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries