Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #1

6-8 Months In Our Isata 3 - What Spares Needed

We are planning on traveling in our 2018 Isata 3 for 6-8 months, mostly boondockimg, national parks and state parks in the West. I have an assortment of fuses, batteries, tools, etc. but looking for suggestions of spares that I should bring. For example, should I have a spare water pump? Suggestions?
akkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

If you carry spares for all your working (or non working) parts, you won’t have room for your stuff.

What about spare lights, water heater element, water filters, furnace fan, A/C parts........it’s never ending.
And I haven’t even covered vehicle parts.

If you do your periodic maintenance, hope for the best and carry the tools you can do something with.
Parts can be bought while on the road and delivered to where you are if necessary.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Commercial Member

When I leave for any trip (at least in the US). My final comment when walking out is "well, if I need it, I'll buy it"

If I am walking out and say "I feel like I am forgetting something" my wife now even says "well, if you need it, buy it"

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

I know you cannot carry everything, but I keep:
- selection of fuses
- silicone repair tape
- electrical tape
- small roll of gorilla tape
- hose washers
- little bottle of wood glue
- small piece of butyl seal tape
- small piece of eternabond tape
- random selection of fasteners
- a few electrical connectors & wagos

That should get you through the night until the next day when hardware store opens.

edit: this will all fit in a Plano medium tackle box and one 1/2 size container store shoe box.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Credit card with a high limit.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

Definitely a roll of Duct Tape. If something come loose, you can hold it in place until it can be fixed. If you have the Atwood AC unit, then carry an extra filter so you can alternate washing one and let it dry. In the conditions you are describing, the AC will pickup a lot of dust.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #7

Ditto on the roll of duct tape and also a small bottle of glue.

The part you DON'T buy will be the one you need and you can't foresee the future.
I don't know if you've traveled out west before, but keeping an eye out for gas stations is recommended because distances can be deceptive and if you're going to be boondocking, you're probably going to be using the generator.

We'd be interested in you starting a thread on your trip and updating us as you find problems or advantages to using your rig. Of course, if you're boondocking internet access might be challenging... especially in the mountains.

Stay safe.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #8

Spares

Pack of heavy duty zip ties

2014 Jeep JK Rubicon
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #9

I carry a spare water pump. While the Shurflo pumps are very reliable, they can fail. Not having water while boondocking takes the fun out of it quickly. Sounds like an adventure.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

As others have mentioned, an adequate tool box including heavy tape, glue, etc. Otherwise, I'd only plan on buying as needed as you go. Maybe a jug of DEF and some gallon jugs of distilled water. And if you haven't checked out Harvest Hosts I'd recommend giving them a look. We easily pay our yearly subscription in savings and have found it a really nice way to spend a night here and there along the way. Last I read they were up around 1,800+- places to stay in North America.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #11

Agree with a lot of posters here,

Duct tape, tie wraps, fuses, credit card. I carried more but really now understand that what I had was rarely what I needed. Maybe some self sealing type of tape?

Enjoy your trip and again agree with tip about harvest hosts, spent time at many and enjoyed meeting the hosts, learning about the operation(zoo, lavender farm, Air Force museum, cafe, winery)
Good luck and have fun

Chris
Old 02-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! The credit card was at the top of my list! Found some other things things in the suggestions that I will add.
akkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #13

I have most of common items listed. I ran into a situation where I needed Wheel seals that keeps grease out of the breaks. I needed it right now and had a very hard time finding them. I now have a small box with bearings and seals. I can get most anybody to install them if ever needed.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #14

I didn't re-read the suggestions, but make sure you have a lug wrench that fits your trailer tires, and the spare. Sometimes the spare has a different nut. Ask me how I know.

One other thing, a volt ohm meter. A must have for troubleshooting.