Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia

A/C model and start draw for Isata 5

I am looking for the model number and start-up power draw for the AC units fitted to the Isata 5? The Owners material on the Dynamax web site only has the Suburban and Airexcel material and none of the documents have any specifics and I believe neither of those are used on the Isata 5.

Are any fitted with Soft Start modules (other than the standard capacitors); and

Does the system have a load sharing capability if the current available is less than draw. Some systems are able to run 2 (or even 3) AC units on 30 Amps by not sharing the loads and Soft Start modules to prevent the circuit from tripping.

I did a search on Dynamax and could not find a single instance of Soft Start which is the only search term I know for the phasing capability of (say) Micro Air.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

We installed the MicroAir Soft Starts in our units and have not had any issues running the A/Cs off 30amp. Though they rarely run at the same time after the initial cool down. Took about 20 minutes to install each.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
Norwood Auto Italia

Thanks. What make/model are your AC units?
I too have had good experience with Micro Air but I heard that the latest AC units are coming with better start systems eliminating the need for an MA upgrade.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #4

Airxcel Mach 10's

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #5

Airxcel 45254-8792
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

As far as I know, the Isata 5 comes with the Coleman Mach 10. The REALLY new stuff coming off the line MIGHT be using something different, but historically it's been the Mach 10.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Airxcel 45254-8792
Many thanks. I uploaded the Data Sheet to the Library. The draw with Fan is 14 amps but the start requires 2.5X that amount which would easily exceed a 30 amp limit if one AC was already running. My experience with another 15,000 btu unit from 2014 after the Micro Air install was a reduction of the starting amperage to 15 amps so that it could get started by a Honda 2000 generator.

There is no microprocessor managed start sequencer fitted to the Coleman unit as standard
Old 01-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Well because the A/C's are ducted in a race track (in most many models), you can also just get by with one.

While I for sure do not recommend this, when I was at an unknown location in the wilds of Ohio, the facility I was at had very poor service capabilities. (no wash people for one...but I digress). The 50 amp service was already taken up. So, I had to make due with a 15Amp outlet. By tweaking some of the Firefly settings (incoming service and charge rate), I was able to run one air and pretty much everything else off of that 15A circuit. Temps were in the 90's outside and sunny, inside stayed at 72.

That was in a 28SS. The 28SS does NOT need two airs...everyone just wants them. One will keep up in all but the worse conditions.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

The "tweak" is the art of getting a gallon out of a pint. Gonna try that trick too. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:02 PM   #10
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well because the A/C's are ducted in a race track (in most many models), you can also just get by with one.

While I for sure do not recommend this, when I was at an unknown location in the wilds of Ohio, the facility I was at had very poor service capabilities. (no wash people for one...but I digress). The 50 amp service was already taken up. So, I had to make due with a 15Amp outlet. By tweaking some of the Firefly settings (incoming service and charge rate), I was able to run one air and pretty much everything else off of that 15A circuit. Temps were in the 90's outside and sunny, inside stayed at 72.

That was in a 28SS. The 28SS does NOT need two airs...everyone just wants them. One will keep up in all but the worse conditions.
At least you had a connection at that unrated joint, I had to run my gen the entire time I stayed there.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
At least you had a connection at that unrated joint, I had to run my gen the entire time I stayed there.
Yes, I know, it was a severe violation of the quiet hours that were clearly not posted.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #12
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:

Thankfully its set up this way because there are lots of "worst conditions" days in the Summer down South with no shade, lots of concrete and parking inside the bowl - aka NASCAR, Indy, SCCA, WRL, NASA, SVRA .... its just perfect!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:

I would love to know what the tweaks were
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
I would love to know what the tweaks were
The tweaks I have used are as follows:
Reprogram the charger to provide low amperage and only after voltage drops below 11.5 for a period longer than 3 minutes; Soft Start installation. I use Micro Air.

Inverter ON

No other electrical appliances operating or on standby; 12v draw minimized with minimum lights.

Honda Eco mode switched OFF; Start A/C; Fan switch ON; Dial A/C temp down to a level its unlikely to reach so that it stays on.

Wait 15/30 minutes for charge to batteries to return and then operate one or another 110v appliance as needed.

This assumes No solar; nothing else connected to that 15 amp socket and the 15 amp socket should have a 20 amp breaker.

If there is a decent Solar output, then the charge reduction from the Inverter can be 100% as the Solar output will be adequate.

I use this process regularly in the Summer with success as long as the battery set is good. If the batteries have been abused or are more than 3/4 years since commissioned, then their ability to sustain the inverter during the Start of the A/C may not be enough. But that statement is based on a 220 amp AGM. With a 400 AGM in good condition, batteries should not be a problem.

Also my Inverter has been set up to permit the A/C to be run through it and if its not getting enough amperage from the battery it automatically sheds that load and resets. I do not believe that the Isatas' are set up to permit the Inverter to drive or support the A/C so it may be necessary to switch it off. I will have to test that when the coach arrives.