Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Flux Capacitor!
If only I could hit 88mph!
Jetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
She doesn't know that I added more solar to rig, figured add it before we took delivery so she wouldn't notice the RV missing lol. Lucky for me I doubt she will be doing any maintenance on the roof. As she says boys and their toys.
Yup, man stuff. zero interest!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #23

Hope Brian is seeing this!

Who or what dealer did the install and did they have any issues getting the new wiring from the roof to the bay? Nice Job!
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
Who or what dealer did the install and did they have any issues getting the new wiring from the roof to the bay? Nice Job!
Dennis Dillion in Ca.

So far I am very pleased with their install, I was able to talk to install guy before and make sure everything was done a particular way.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #25

Does anyone know if the two 100w factory GoPower panels are the "flexible" type?

The six additional 190w GoPowers you added I presume are rigid/framed type since that is all they make in those wattage. How did they mount them? Glue the legs, screws into roof (I understand not advised), glue the whole frame down?

How did they get the panel wire leads down into the electrical bay for the two GoPower controllers? It's my understanding the factory wiring goes from the roof, directly to the provided GoPower 30a controller just behind driver's seat, then proceeds down to the battery compartment.

I am researching to upgrade my factory 200w setup on my 2021 Force 37TS.

And yes, I agree, the DD8 is a solid engine. If you haven't used it yet, every startup push the MODE button on your transmission selector and it will shift a much gentler (quieter) and fuel efficient ECO mode shift program. May not be suitable with your 20ft trailer, but with the toad it will be fine. Might want to check out this thread below.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d8-234029.html

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #26
Commercial Member

We factory panels are flex panels. I think they do make them in 190 now, but not 100% sure.

Rigid panels are 190, we have talked about those, but the current install does not require backer, he use 3M VHB tape and then dicor at the edges. Wires come up in a connector mount, you can add 2-3 panels just using Y connectors, nothing else required.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #27

OK,thanks. Can you confirm the wiring from the roof goes directly to the GoPower controller behind drivers seat? Wondering how they got the roof wiring into the electrical bay on Jetguys setup. It's nice because the MPPT controllers, that do seem to have a more advance charging setup, are physically larger and not sure it would sit well on the wall mount where the factory one is.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #28
Commercial Member

If you do a Victron MPTP controller, it doesn't need a wall mount, you can use the App. Then mount it in the electrical bay as they did.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #29

Ok, but still wondering how you get the panel wiring from the roof to the wiring bay.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #30

Quote:
If I was trying to add another inverter or two to run the AC's off battery power I would absolutely consider lithium's. Right now my old school experience says just add two more AGM's if I needed more battery capacity. These next few months of trialing out the system will give me a great baseline.

Running one of the ACs off of solar/battery is on my wishlist. I don’t like running the generator to power AC in the back of the coach when driving and there are plenty of times when we’re boondocking that it would be nice to cool things off a little. Generator hours stack on quickly in summer heat.
TheF1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Ok, but still wondering how you get the panel wiring from the roof to the wiring bay.
Everything is in a harness, so it will go from panels to controller to battery, but tied in with other items. In theory, you could connect those wires behind the controller which takes it directly to the battery and you can intercept and make adjustments there.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #32

I was thinking the same thing.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF1sh View Post
Running one of the ACs off of solar/battery is on my wishlist. I don’t like running the generator to power AC in the back of the coach when driving and there are plenty of times when we’re boondocking that it would be nice to cool things off a little. Generator hours stack on quickly in summer heat.
Count me in the same boat. More panels and another inverter. Just trying to locate the secret menu like the one my son uses when he orders from In and Out Burgers.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Does anyone know if the two 100w factory GoPower panels are the "flexible" type?

The six additional 190w GoPowers you added I presume are rigid/framed type since that is all they make in those wattage. How did they mount them? Glue the legs, screws into roof (I understand not advised), glue the whole frame down?

How did they get the panel wire leads down into the electrical bay for the two GoPower controllers? It's my understanding the factory wiring goes from the roof, directly to the provided GoPower 30a controller just behind driver's seat, then proceeds down to the battery compartment.

I am researching to upgrade my factory 200w setup on my 2021 Force 37TS.

And yes, I agree, the DD8 is a solid engine. If you haven't used it yet, every startup push the MODE button on your transmission selector and it will shift a much gentler (quieter) and fuel efficient ECO mode shift program. May not be suitable with your 20ft trailer, but with the toad it will be fine. Might want to check out this thread below.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d8-234029.html

They are rigid and they are screwed into the roof and sealed all around all entry points. This is one reason I had the dealer install them, that way if we have any water leak problems I won’t be to blame. I inspected their work and I was quoted pleased with the installation care they took. My research told me the flex panels don’t work as well as the rigid ones as the panels need cooling top and bottom for them to work most efficiently.

They followed the same path as the factory solar wires right into the electronics bay behind the driver.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
Count me in the same boat. More panels and another inverter. Just trying to locate the secret menu like the one my son uses when he orders from In and Out Burgers.
An additional inverter is next on my list of upgrades, working on all the research currently. The big question is if I will switch to lithium or add more agm’s. I just want to be able to use one of the house ac’s while driving. I usually won’t drive for more then 8-9 hours a day.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #36

Quote:
An additional inverter is next on my list of upgrades, working on all the research currently. The big question is if I will switch to lithium or add more agm’s. I just want to be able to use one of the house ac’s while driving. I usually won’t drive for more then 8-9 hours a day.
If forced to add the inverter myself, I will probably go with the same model unit already onboard. That way, if there is a failure of the main unit, I can swap it in the field. I did order the 600AH Lithium option so I am pretty sure I will be able to run the one AC while driving. If my Vizsla were able to do some of the driving, then I might go over 6-9 hours but I think that is not going to happen.

I am pretty sure if Brian was not spending so much time with the supply chain issues, he would have an Explorer type package for the M2 by now. I hereby offer my future rig up as a guinea pig if Brian wants to experiment?
Old 07-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #37
Commercial Member

We're working on it...just going to take some time on the harness side of things. Also want to test out some other insulation options. I'd love to be able to get 80 degree set point with 120 degree temps (at least on a light colored rig).

The only issue is that most testing chambers that we have access to, only get to about 100 degrees with high humidity.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #38

Quote:
This solar set up has no problem so far running the fridge all night and coffee maker in the morning and has the house batteries back up to full charge in no time.

I am loving this! I've got (5) 195w's going on my roof WEDNESDAY for a total of 975w up there, down to fill up (2) 300AH lithiums. Little Honda genset for insurance but the solar should have no problem keeping the 12V fridge happy when boondocking!

Great install, friend - love your setup, Glad you're happy with it!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We're working on it...just going to take some time on the harness side of things. Also want to test out some other insulation options. I'd love to be able to get 80 degree set point with 120 degree temps (at least on a light colored rig).

The only issue is that most testing chambers that we have access to, only get to about 100 degrees with high humidity.
Sounds great. Brian, please feel free to paint the top of my rig all White. And don't listen to my brother about painting my entire rig KTM orange....I am happy with the standard Merlot scheme!
Old 07-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #40

Couple questions;

What is the nominal voltage of your panels?
Are they wired in series or parallel?
Is your controller a PWM base or MPPT, I may have missed that, if so I apologize for the rehash.
V6TOY4X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar