Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Added a Second Propane Tank (2019 Isata 5 35DB)

A long standing “problem” we’ve experience with our Isata 5 is the fact that the propane tank is hard mounted to the chassis. As we all know, refilling with propane means taking the whole rig to a refill location. First issue with this comes from the fact that any propane place has to have room for you, Second issue with this is that if you are set up for camping and you are getting low, you have to break camp to go get propane and then come back and set back up. None of this is huge problem, but I’ve found it to be a pain in my posterior more than once. We spend anywhere from 2-4 weeks in a location before moving and if it’s even chilly wherever we are, then the furnace chews through propane……and we even run some small ceramic electrical heaters and turn the thermostats WAY down at night. None of this is Earth shattering, but it was annoying for sure.

Anyway, I just got sick of even thinking about it. The first step to the upgrade was moving the batteries inside. I did that because I went lithium and wanted them inside anyway. That freed up my battery tray and made room for this horizontal 30# tank. After that, there was a lot measuring and planning for hoses and what types of ends that each hose needed to have and and and…..but in the end I am SUPER excited to have some extra propane capacity and have the ability to go retrieve propane without moving the entire rig. I’ve also removed the electrical shut-off vales as it’s a decent electrical draw and when you’re camping without hook-ups, I’d like to have as few electrical draws as possible.

Last thing left: About a year ago, I installed SeeLevel tank gauges and wired the original propane gauge to the SeeLevel. So, I’ve bought another electrical sender for the secondary propane tank and I’ll wire that to the original Precision Plex display. That’ll allow me to monitor both tanks from inside the coach.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #2

Awesome job! Did you weld the handles on the new tank?
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

Nice!
Did you remove the regulator on the original tank?
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Awesome job! Did you weld the handles on the new tank?
No sir. It's an off-the-shelf DOT approved horizontal tank. I did not alter or modify in any way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebevec View Post
Nice!
Did you remove the regulator on the original tank?
I did indeed. The dual input, automatic change-over regulator (in the second picture) is doing regulating duties for both tanks now. I bought this one....

Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253HP
Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Glad this isn't a home installation

As per code, Propane tanks must be kept at least 15' from electric devices. But for RVs we toss all the rules.

This also includes having AC and DC in the same electric panel.

Go figure....
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
As per code, Propane tanks must be kept at least 15' from electric devices. But for RVs we toss all the rules.

Go figure....
I'm hear ya'.....but it didn't leave the factory following that code. My hard mounted propane tank is directly next to my leveling jack pump, from the factory. The 12v solenoid shut off valve is virtually mounted to the tank, from the factory......and if you are talking 15 FEET, then the number of electrical devices within that radius of the tank is well......a lot.

In the end, I did the best I could with the correct gas rated thread sealant. Used all new hoses and fittings. Protected the hoses from chaffing or rubbing against anything they might touch. Checked all connections with soapy water. etc etc.......I'll sleep okay at night.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post

Go figure....
Per what code? Cite?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Nice job!

Our friends with a motorhome simply plug a 30# tank (with a regulator) into the low pressure port once their on board tank runs out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Nice job!

Our friends with a motorhome simply plug a 30# tank (with a regulator) into the low pressure port once their on board tank runs out.
Also very functional.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Per what code? Cite?
Well, I’ll give him some latitude because he did title his post with “Glad this isn't a home installation”, so _my_ assumption was that he was talking about residential code……which _I_ think would be NFPA 58, section 6.3……BUT even if we look at that, it states that an above ground tank of 125gal or LESS requires zero feet of separation “Between Containers, Important Buildings, and Other Properties”. It then goes on to speak to direction and height of the safety relief valve, but I’ll spare all of us the boredom.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Well, I’ll give him some latitude because he did title his post with “Glad this isn't a home installation”, so _my_ assumption was that he was talking about residential code……which _I_ think would be NFPA 58, section 6.3……BUT even if we look at that, it states that an above ground tank of 125gal or LESS requires zero feet of separation “Between Containers, Important Buildings, and Other Properties”. It then goes on to speak to direction and height of the safety relief valve, but I’ll spare all of us the boredom.
…..although 6.3.9 does say there must be 10 feet from “Relief Valve, Vent Discharge, and Filling Connection to Exterior Source of Ignition, Openings into Direct*Vent Appliances, Mechanical Ventilation Air Intakes”
Old 09-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
I only mention because I was just digging through RVIA code on LP as we had some questions on installation and it was really not written the best. So we erred on the side of caution.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Nice job!

Thank you.

I know another Istata 5 owner that uses the low pressure port as well. This approach just fit my needs a little better. The automatic changeover valve might come in hand from time to time. Also, my low pressure port is on the camp side of the coach (as most are) and I didn't want the aux. tank on the camp side.

Plus, I like to make things complicated and hard on myself, so simply plugging in a regulated tank to the low pressure port doesn't achieve that AT ALL!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #15

Quote:
I only mention because I was just digging through RVIA code on LP as we had some questions on installation and it was really not written the best. So we erred on the side of caution.
What?! a code book (of any kind) wasn't written well and might have left something open to interpretation? Surely you jest!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Per what code? Cite?

NFPA National Fire Protection Association, Inc.

Plus there are Federal, State and Local codes that only make it stricter.

Google it for your jurisdiction and you my be surprised. In my village it's 15'. I have installed many solar systems, upgraded and/or combined Panels, Boxes and Services, and in some cases have had to trench to accomplish this. Each time reviewing the local codes to be sure we're in accordance. As per LP tanks, we have seen anything from 10' to 25' from ignition sources (any electric device is considered so).

CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
MSgt & MSgt, USAF Retired

Quote:
Thank you.

I know another Istata 5 owner that uses the low pressure port as well. This approach just fit my needs a little better. The automatic changeover valve might come in hand from time to time. Also, my low pressure port is on the camp side of the coach (as most are) and I didn't want the aux. tank on the camp side.

Plus, I like to make things complicated and hard on myself, so simply plugging in a regulated tank to the low pressure port doesn't achieve that AT ALL!

Great job on the modification, if we decide to keep the I5 I'll be hitting you up for more details. I tried connecting to the low pressure port this weekend and ended up with a constant flow near the main tank venting propane. Scared me so I disconnected and let it air out. We had just had a house blown apart in OKC due to a propane leak earlier last week. Can anyone give a reason I was getting the venting? I have a month before heading to deer camp for 2 1/2 weeks and worry about the propane usage as well. I found that when you back off the furnace you risk freezing the lines then. Last year a I was very prudent on usage which wasn't fun and actually froze up once.
2020 Ultra CVO
Traded in 2020 ISATA 5 36DS
clockcuff_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

clockcuff_66,

Did you have a regulator on the tank you connected to the low pressure port?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
clockcuff_66,

Did you have a regulator on the tank you connected to the low pressure port?

Yes sir, I sure did.
2020 Ultra CVO
Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #20

I'm guessing that my issue may have been that I have a 10psi regulator and not the 2 stage dropping it to the 11"WC. I am going to try it again with the correct reduction. Apologies for hijacking your post, I've been planning to conquer this all summer and it got away from me.
2020 Ultra CVO

Tags
propane, tank