Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Adding batteries to an Isata 5

Does anyone out there have any experience in adding 2 house batteries to an Isata 5? I understand they ship with 2 AGM Group 31 batts with an option for 2 more. If your coach only has 2 can you add 2 more as a do it yourself job? Do they have to be AGM or can you use any deep cycle battery made for marine or RV use? Do you have to do any special wiring to add the batteries or simply use heavy gauge wire?
What is the real cost benefit (AGM's are expensive) of adding the extra batteries or do you all find that just 2 Group 31 AGM's are plenty of power to run the residential fridge when dry camping? Assuming it's sunny enough to power the solar most of the day?
Thanks.
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Does anyone out there have any experience in adding 2 house batteries to an Isata 5? I understand they ship with 2 AGM Group 31 batts with an option for 2 more. If your coach only has 2 can you add 2 more as a do it yourself job? Do they have to be AGM or can you use any deep cycle battery made for marine or RV use? Do you have to do any special wiring to add the batteries or simply use heavy gauge wire?
What is the real cost benefit (AGM's are expensive) of adding the extra batteries or do you all find that just 2 Group 31 AGM's are plenty of power to run the residential fridge when dry camping? Assuming it's sunny enough to power the solar most of the day?
Thanks.
I'm quite sure that the batteries need to be of like type because your charger will be set up to charge using a specific profile based on the battery type.
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #3

I was think about doing the same. I have a extra AGM I want to add to mine. Maybe Brian can give some thoughts.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

I have 4 AGMs in my Isata 5. If you need a picture how they are linked let me know. Remember the added weight will count towards total carrying capacity. Teich’s comment is correct on keeping same type of batteries.

The two batteries will run fridge overnight then use generator to charge during the day.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #5

Whalenss thanks for the response

How long can you dry camp with the 4 batts? You mentioned weight, you mean adding the batteries might make the coach too heavy for the truck's suspension? Adding air bags might help?
Please send a photo of how you have them wired up when you get a chance. Thanks
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
How long can you dry camp with the 4 batts? You mentioned weight, you mean adding the batteries might make the coach too heavy for the truck's suspension? Adding air bags might help?

Please send a photo of how you have them wired up when you get a chance. Thanks

Your coach is weighted to determine the amount t of cargo you can carry ( people, water, food , etc). There is a sticker in the door jam with the weight. If you add batteries that will count towards total weight.

Have never dry camped but over night so can not tell you. I also have solar panels which charge during the day. My coach came with 4 batteries as an option.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	161026
Old 01-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

weight

Thanks for the photo, very helpful. I'll get the coach weighed as soon as we get it loaded. I guess overweight could affect the tire loading too? We don't expect our coach (Isata 5 DS 4x4) till May or June, just ordered it a few weeks ago. I want to be able to dry camp for a few days at a time and not have to run the generator if I don't have too. I also don't like to let batteries get low because it's my understanding that's what ruins them, running the voltage down too low.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 01-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

It is very important that all the batteries be of the same type. It is desirable that they be of the same age. Your charger can deal with four or two. I have four in my Isata 5. Four batteries will make your off grid camping much better as that residential fridge needs electricity.

Your issue will be weight on the front axle. The coach has a total limit, as well as limits for each axle. The best battery only solution would be Lithium batteries if that can be accomplished. Is say "if" as that is another discussion that has a variety of opinions. My hope is to replace my four batteries with Lithium at some point. My front axle is over weighted with four AGM batteries and two adults with a large house cat up front. (I have considered moving the batteries to underneath the dining table seating to get the weight farther back. Some Lithium's back there would be the cat's meow. Though Lithiums are so light that moving them is probably not necessary)

Consider that the generator (diesel I hope) and solar panels are also part of the solution. Though simply having more batteries is a very simple, easy part of the solution. Two good batteries will run your refrigerator overnight but you will then have to deal with charging them up every morning. (no, the solar panels, as installed, alone will not do it) You will need to run the generator, find a plug or get more solar.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

WOW....Group 31 Lithium RV batteries are $1299.00 for a 60% weight savings...Thats $31.00 per pound. Time for a diet. That upgrade will have to wait.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries