Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Air valve buried.

Perhaps someone here has an easy solution, but how am I supposed to get the cap off of the outside wheel to control air pressure? Our new DX3 came from the factory this way. The inside tire has what appears to be a good solution to regulate air pressure but the outside? My hand isn't big but there is no way that it will fit through that hole.

What were they thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020304.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	262317   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020305.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	262318  
steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #2

We installed the simple U adapters that move the end to the outside of the outer tire. Will have our mechanic turn the valves to face the outside the next time we have it in for service.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
We installed the simple U adapters that move the end to the outside of the outer tire. Will have our mechanic turn the valves to face the outside the next time we have it in for service.
How did you get access, from between the wheels?
Old 09-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
How did you get access, from between the wheels?
You can reach in and simply attach them... enter the following into Amazon and they will come up...

Aracey Dually Valve Stem Extensions, Set of 2Pcs,Heavey Duty, 180 Degree Metal Dual Wheel Valve Stem Extenders for for Truck Tires, RV, Trailer or Other Heavy dualies Wheel Vehicles
Old 09-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
You can reach in and simply attach them... enter the following into Amazon and they will come up...

Aracey Dually Valve Stem Extensions, Set of 2Pcs,Heavey Duty, 180 Degree Metal Dual Wheel Valve Stem Extenders for for Truck Tires, RV, Trailer or Other Heavy dualies Wheel Vehicles
Thanks for the reply. Please look at the top picture. There is no way that I know of to get a valve extension connected to the outside wheel. The hole is too small for my hand.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #6

Those look like the flow thru sensors. I have a set like that and just reach between the tires to uncap. A dual foot air chuck you can use to fill with works fine.

Yes, to take off the sensors you have to reach between the tires in the gap, not thru the rim holes.

Another option I did on my old unit, have a tire shop turn the air valve 90 degrees in the wheel itself. Looks odd. But works. The stem will be parallel with the rim, had them faced rearward. Put lots of rough miles and not an issue.

Lastly, an option to install a set of Cross fires or equivalent with individual tire ports and move the tire sensors out.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #7
Commercial Member

We don't change the routing from Freightliner. I will talk to the guys about leaving caps off....those are "flow through" stems and a reverse chuck would work, assuming the cap was off.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We don't change the routing from Freightliner. I will talk to the guys about leaving caps off....those are "flow through" stems and a reverse chuck would work, assuming the cap was off.
Brian... is there a reason Freightliner has the valve stems face inward? To protect them?
Ed
Old 09-07-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Brian... is there a reason Freightliner has the valve stems face inward? To protect them?
Ed
That would be a question for Freightliner really. I just know that a reverse check exists for a reason.

Google yielded this answer.

"Valves are placed one way in truck rims, toward the wheel disc. The wheels may be used in any position on the truck.

If we put the valve facing the other way, and then rotated the tires, the valve on the inner dual, or on the front axle, would end up facing inward, and you would only be able to get to it by crawling under the truck.

Is it a perfect system? No, but it would be expensive to have to dismount a tire and move the valve stem every time we rotate tires.

As Paul Stockley wrote, there are dual foot chucks that make it easier to check and fill dual wheels."

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That would be a question for Freightliner really. I just know that a reverse check exists for a reason.

Google yielded this answer.

"Valves are placed one way in truck rims, toward the wheel disc. The wheels may be used in any position on the truck.

If we put the valve facing the other way, and then rotated the tires, the valve on the inner dual, or on the front axle, would end up facing inward, and you would only be able to get to it by crawling under the truck.

Is it a perfect system? No, but it would be expensive to have to dismount a tire and move the valve stem every time we rotate tires.

As Paul Stockley wrote, there are dual foot chucks that make it easier to check and fill dual wheels."
That makes 100% sense. Thanks.

Tags
valve