Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #1

Aircon Freeze Sensor was clipped and taped!

Continuing to troubleshoot our AirCon 1 Coil Freeze fault. After studying the Coleman Mach 10 Repair Parts list, I finally figured out how to access the Outdoor Coil Freeze Sensor (Part# 7330A3231) from inside the coach. I believe I have found the reason why it's not working. After removing the electrical tape, my guess is that someone was in a hurry at either Dynamax or Airxcel and accidentally clipped the sensor wire. It looks like they tried to electrical tape it back together and install it into the fins anyway. I've attached the pictures that speak for themselves.

I'm trying to get a replacement sensor from Dynamax or Airxcel. Neither has been overly helpful via e-mail. I'm posting this in case anyone else runs into this on their ISATA5 RV's. Hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-FireFlyAirCon1-CoilFreeze.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	253021   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-FreezeCoilSensorLocation.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	253022   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-HeatPumpFins.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	253023   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-OutdoorCoilFreezeSensor.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	253024   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-CutSensor.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	253025  

Old 04-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #2

Post your message on the Dynamax subforum. The GM reads and replies to messages there and will advise how to get it fixed.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Post your message on the Dynamax subforum. The GM reads and replies to messages there and will advise how to get it fixed.
Thanks. I thought I did post to the Forest River Forums > Motorhomes > General Motorhome Discussion > Dynamax forum.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #4

Sorry, yes. My phone cut it off at "general ... "

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido79 View Post
Continuing to troubleshoot our AirCon 1 Coil Freeze fault. After studying the Coleman Mach 10 Repair Parts list, I finally figured out how to access the Outdoor Coil Freeze Sensor (Part# 7330A3231) from inside the coach. I believe I have found the reason why it's not working. After removing the electrical tape, my guess is that someone was in a hurry at either Dynamax or Airxcel and accidentally clipped the sensor wire. It looks like they tried to electrical tape it back together and install it into the fins anyway. I've attached the pictures that speak for themselves.

I'm trying to get a replacement sensor from Dynamax or Airxcel. Neither has been overly helpful via e-mail. I'm posting this in case anyone else runs into this on their ISATA5 RV's. Hope this is helpful.
How were we not "overly helpful"? I will say parts, and A/C parts in general are like unicorns's these days...rare if not imaginary these days. So not being able to help and not helping, I always like to clarify so I know which path to take.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
How were we not "overly helpful"? I will say parts, and A/C parts in general are like unicorns's these days...rare if not imaginary these days. So not being able to help and not helping, I always like to clarify so I know which path to take.
Thanks for the reply @bclemens. I totally understand the parts availability issues right now.

My concern is that I have had to figure out what’s been going on with our Firefly system & heat pump/ac unit since picking up our new RV on 4/1. I sent the issue to Airxcel, Firefly and Dynamax (after working with this forum) and here’s the responses I received:

Airxcel: “You will need to contact firfly or a technician for that issue.”
Firefly: “You will need to contact Dynamax”
Dynamax: “I can order part and could take 2 weeks. I have an email into the vendor regarding the A/C Sensor. The below list are dealerships/service centers that are able to perform warranty work.”

This week, I found that there’s actually 2 parts needed to fix the issues we are seeing in Firefly. This morning I did hear back from Dynamax: “I apologize for this. I have the parts on order and have relayed the message to Quality Control.” No ETA. No details about what parts were ordered. No other options provided.

The feedback I’m hoping that will help Dynamax is:
1) Update the ISATA4 QA team to help them avoid what I have been experiencing since we picked up our new RV. Note: I believe the customer service person relayed this message already.
2) Looking for e-mail team at Dynamax to provide more helpful information beyond, “we placed the order. It may take 2 weeks.”

Since these are easy parts for most to install, I’ve been working to get this resolved without having to go to a dealer who will be also be waiting multiple weeks for parts. I have sourced both parts online and locally and will have them by tomorrow morning. Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks very much for everyone’s help in this forum.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #7
Commercial Member

gotcha...

1. That is mainly why I am here. I relay ALL posts that identify a defect, malfunction and even user error to the QA team, engineering, etc to see if we can improve and prevent these things. Have been for over a decade. I understand if someone on that end is not as thorough as I might be as I have a wider view of things. Especially if you were speaking to parts. The Customer Service rep would have a better view...parts does just that, order parts.

2. Some of this is just the new arena in which we are in. In most cases, we would direct someone to their local dealer to get these items resolved. In the current climate...that can take a very long time, so we have been trying to instruct our service advisors to be more active in a troubleshooting manner. That is a tall order for anyone to be an expert at all the things we install.

In my mind...Airxell dropped the ball on this on. They build the A/C, but it appears they were distracted by the shiny light of "Firefly". Once that word was used they were wiping their hands of it. From my perspective, we should all point the finger at ourselves first. At the very least they should have tried to identify if they DID in fact have an aircon-sensor issue. Firelfy, 95% of the time is merely a graphical output of what it is reading from the device...but again, it is too easy in many cases to say "not my problem".

Data to learn from as always.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Norwood Auto Italia

Brian, another data point on the Airxcel parts and quality issues:

As you are aware I had a noise/vibration/defective transmitter PCB in my front unit which was replaced under warranty by Airxcel and the dealer was settled direct for their labor.

Then the rear one started the same noise and the front failed to cool while I was on the road. Through Dynamax, I received a call from the Customer Service person at Airxcel who put me in touch with one of their engineering people. After discussion, it was agreed I needed to bring the rig to the factory in Wichita which I did on Monday. Not only did the transmitter/relay PCB need to be replaced but also the main PCB and the wiring harness which had a broken wire. The front needed the same, 2 new boards and a wiring harness and both also received the heatstrip upgrade.

They were very nice, gracious even, but they are having problems with Schneider who is the vendor for these boards and the Schneider quality has deteriorated. They are in discussions with Schneider about this but as in all corporate QA and process control changes, I suspect this will take months to resolve and in the meantime, Dynamax and its owners are going to be left without functioning ACs. At least that's my read.

As an aside, I am processing the Firefly proposed remediation to my Firefly tank readings and will advise.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #9

The sensor is available on Amazon
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #10

Once I get everything installed, I’ll report back success or not to hopefully close out.

I too have the hum noise in bedroom heat pump. I’ll start working that one after our trip with the Airxcel team and a local service provider.

Still love the new rig and can’t wait to show it off at the campground this weekend. 🤠
Old 04-29-2021, 11:35 PM   #11

Fixed!

Installed the replacement Outdoor Coil Freeze Sensor (Part# 7330A3231) today and every now works as expected. Cold A/C with no coil freeze faults. Good to go! Note: The part#7330A3231 is not an exact replacement of the factory damaged sensor I removed. Replacement I found has 2 blade connectors. I had to cannibalize the old connector to fit our heat pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3C85461C-F0A3-4BC5-AAAF-F052F30E7D47.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	253213   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC9ABE13-9420-4804-95DC-8328726943D6.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	253215  
Old 04-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #12
Norwood Auto Italia

Good news indeed. Is the sensor accessible from inside or outside?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Is the sensor accessible from inside or outside?
Inside the coach. You have to remove the 2 filters and 4 screws that hold the plastic cover frame to get to the sensor. It’s the only wire that leads to the fins of the unit.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido79 View Post
Installed the replacement Outdoor Coil Freeze Sensor (Part# 7330A3231) today and every now works as expected. Cold A/C with no coil freeze faults. Good to go! Note: The part#7330A3231 is not an exact replacement of the factory damaged sensor I removed. Replacement I found has 2 blade connectors. I had to cannibalize the old connector to fit our heat pump.
FYI. I finally received the correct replacement cable from Dynamax this week. This is the correct cable with the appropriate connector for our Coleman Mach heat pumps. I will replace my "franken cable" the next time I'm cleaning our filters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FreezeCoilSensor_9530-323.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	256232