Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
Dynamax Istata 3 RW

Question Aluminum Wheels Isata 3 Alignment

We have a 2018 Dynamax Isata 3 RW on a 2016 MBS chasis. At 28,000 miles I upgraded from original steel wheels to Alcoa Aluminum wheels made specifically for Sprinter. The original Continental tires had worn poorly on the front and I had been told that the upfitter had not accounted for the weight for the alignmentat. Replaced Continentals with Michelins at Mercedes dealership. I thought this would take care of problem. Mercedes says they can't do alignment because valve stems are too long on rear duals. Since we were on the road decided to try another Mercedes Dealership and they tell me alignment can't be done because the body of RV extends too far out over wheels and alignment rack will not reach into wheels. next tried a truck alignment place that told me the same. Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you get an alignment done? I don't want to retire another set of tires prematurely.
gbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbatt View Post
We have a 2018 Dynamax Isata 3 RW on a 2016 MBS chasis. At 28,000 miles I upgraded from original steel wheels to Alcoa Aluminum wheels made specifically for Sprinter. The original Continental tires had worn poorly on the front and I had been told that the upfitter had not accounted for the weight for the alignmentat. Replaced Continentals with Michelins at Mercedes dealership. I thought this would take care of problem. Mercedes says they can't do alignment because valve stems are too long on rear duals. Since we were on the road decided to try another Mercedes Dealership and they tell me alignment can't be done because the body of RV extends too far out over wheels and alignment rack will not reach into wheels. next tried a truck alignment place that told me the same. Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you get an alignment done? I don't want to retire another set of tires prematurely.
This sounds like a great question for Brian Clemens. Brian, any ideas??
bclemmons
MILES2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
That’s a tough problem. Modern alignment machines require heads be placed on all 4 wheels. The overhang of the body interferes with the signal from the machine to the rear heads. Our shop has a new Hunter alignment machine and it won’t work on the Isata3. You may need to find a shop with an older machine that will allow a two wheel alignment. No rear heads required.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #4

I had the same tire issue. Had the alignment checked at one shop that showed everything in spec. Tires continued to wear. Had to replace at 15k miles. Took it to the Mercedes dealer in Gilbert, AZ. Their alignment tech said the original MB specs do not work with the extra weight and from experience he knew what did work. $240 out the door for the alignment. New Michelins have over 10k miles on them and show no wear. Neither of the alingment places had any issue with the rear wheels inset.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
I had the same tire issue. Had the alignment checked at one shop that showed everything in spec. Tires continued to wear. Had to replace at 15k miles. Took it to the Mercedes dealer in Gilbert, AZ. Their alignment tech said the original MB specs do not work with the extra weight and from experience he knew what did work. $240 out the door for the alignment. New Michelins have over 10k miles on them and show no wear. Neither of the alingment places had any issue with the rear wheels inset.
Hunter makes "Heads" with offset arms specifically for truck alignment when there are low hanging objects.

It's no problem for the right machine.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
We have the same model and year Isata 3 and chassis as you do. I had ours aligned at a Freightliner shop when we first bought ours and the Continental tires have worn evenly with about 22K miles on them. Ours still has the steel wheels on it. I'll probably replace them next spring for age more than wear. I'm not sure what brand I'll get as yet.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
Dynamax Istata 3 RW

Thanks all for comments and suggestions. I guess I need to keep calling alignment shops until I find one that has the right equipment. On number 8 now. Hopefully find one soon already have 4,000 on new tires.
gbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks all for comments and suggestions. I guess I need to keep calling alignment shops until I find one that has the right equipment. On number 8 now. Hopefully find one soon already have 4,000 on new tires.
One option is to call the top manufacturer of truck alignment machines in the US at (314)731-3020. Over the years they have been able to help customers locate shops with the right equipment.

Also, in the past they have actually performed alignments for free in their training center located in Bridgeton, MO. It's located near the end of the St. Louis airport, Lambert Field.

BTW, the number above is the one I have from when I was under contract with them. Current number shown online is (314)731-0000. One should work.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

I changed to 6 Alcoa aluminum wheels from brand new last year. Ride was terrible with the steel and a bit better with the aluminum but still a handful. Early this year out of storage took to a solid sprinter dealer for warranty work and asked them to check the alignment. Caster was way off and I asked them to also re balance the wheels. Drove it home and it was a different coach. Man what a difference. They installed a caster kit (MB Part ) and I cant believe how smooth the ride is.
klcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcamaro1 View Post
<snip> They installed a caster kit (MB Part ) and I cant believe how smooth the ride is.

Was it a caster kit or a camber kit? I am aware of the camber kits but have never heard of the caster kits.

My camber (and toe) were both off and once corrected, took care of abnormal tire wear and a slight vibration at 42-45mph.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:39 AM   #11

My bad it was a camber kit. I had vibration at 50 and then again at 68 so bad the whole house shook. Everything rattled. Now, smooth as anything. No rattles.
klcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, aluminum, wheel