Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #1

Android Auto with the kenwood dnx775rvs

I am curious of others success at using Android Auto with the kenwood dnx775rvs. We use phones made by Google (the creater of Android) and we have been unsuccessful at getting Android Auto to work. We currently have the Pixel 6 and have also tried our old Pixel 3 unsuccessfully.

If you were successful, what kind of phone were you using? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I seem to think that that the android stuff needed an app or something on the phone to work, but that could have been a while back.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #3

While I don't have the Kenwood navigation system that you mentioned, I have used it with 5 different phones in three different vehicles, all with the same results. Android auto is finicky, buggy, clunky, and constantly disconnects. Same results with any combination of phones and vehicles. I gave up and uninstalled the app and just use my phone for navigation on a nice vehicle phone mount.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
Commercial Member

YASSSSS!

iOS all the way.

One-of-US! One-of-US!
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 09-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
While I don't have the Kenwood navigation system that you mentioned, I have used it with 5 different phones in three different vehicles, all with the same results. Android auto is finicky, buggy, clunky, and constantly disconnects. Same results with any combination of phones and vehicles. I gave up and uninstalled the app and just use my phone for navigation on a nice vehicle phone mount.
Our experience is different than yours. We have had good results with Android Auto with several GM vehicles that we have used including our current towed.

Brian, did you ever try Apple Car Play with your phone and the Kenwood? If so, did it work?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Our experience is different than yours. We have had good results with Android Auto with several GM vehicles that we have used including our current towed.

Brian, did you ever try Apple Car Play with your phone and the Kenwood? If so, did it work?

Thanks.
Interesting. I've used it with two Fords and a VW. Maybe they're optimized for GM?
Old 09-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Yes. never had an issue. Plugs right in and works just like my car does.

Edit: Though I learned not to depend on google maps, unless you are in a Sprinter or 5 Series. M2....you better use the RV navigation.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #8

Fresh Download

Quote:
I am curious of others success at using Android Auto with the kenwood dnx775rvs. We use phones made by Google (the creater of Android) and we have been unsuccessful at getting Android Auto to work. We currently have the Pixel 6 and have also tried our old Pixel 3 unsuccessfully.

If you were successful, what kind of phone were you using? Thanks.
Take a fresh download from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ction.gearhead and let us know how it works.

Some of the Android documentation refers to showing on an external screen as "projection". I seem to recall that the first time I used it, I had to select "Projection." Could you have been bypassing that option?

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes. never had an issue. Plugs right in and works just like my car does.

Edit: Though I learned not to depend on google maps, unless you are in a Sprinter or 5 Series. M2....you better use the RV navigation.

Same experience here with Apple CarPlay! Easy peasy, works like a champ on my KENWOOD.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #10

Another vote for iOS, even though the new guy at the helm of Apple is nowhere near on par with Steve Jobs.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #11

Solved!

Every time I have tried connecting my phone to the Kenwood, it has been with the generator running and the key in the ACC position. All of the other functions of the Kenwood are available so it must be enough to connect to Android Auto right? Wrong.

I tried it with the engine running and it connected. It is now working just like in the car. Sometimes it is the simplest things.