Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
ETF

Another RV Storage Thread

I didn't want to highjack the other storage thread so I thought that I'd start a new one because I'd really like some thoughts from those with more experience than I have.

We own 50+ acres with access to a lake about 6 miles away from the house. It's part of the old family farm. We've talked about building a house there but we like where we're at and where we've been for the past 20 years.

Just this past weekend I sketched out a 60'x25', 3-sided building that would have a view of the lake and be supplied with power, water and sewer and be used to store the DX3 and get it out of the driveway. We could use it for camping and fishing trips when we are not off traveling somewhere. It would be like a second home.

If any of you have done or built something like this I'd be grateful for your input. I still have a lot of research to do like, "How thick a concrete pad do you need to support a DX3 37TS?". This is a project that I would hope to start this year or early next year at the very latest.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

We built 3 sides shed with a roof to put 5th wheel under to protect it
when not in use. Made one mistake we did not put a overhead door in.
It is now a big bird house, bird dropping all over camper not good.
So my next project is to put a 20x14 foot door in

Good luck on your new project
Don
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

First question would be where is it located?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

Will it be large enough to park my Isata 5 under it? How’s the fishing in the lake?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Where are you located? Freezing? Might need foundations to go below frost line. Very definitely look at putting in an overhead door. A good wind gust through an open doorway could cause a blowout of a wall panel or roof panel. Another consideration would be, are you in a tornado or hurricane area. Do it right and you won't be sorry. Under designed can cause problems. Good luck.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #6

Johng4706 made some good suggestions. One other thing to factor in if you decide to go without the door (I wish I could close mine in) What direction will the opening face? If it is facing south or west, the sun will beat the exposed portion of the coach.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
ETF

I'm up in north-east Texas where it can get cold during the winter, it's all relative, but there is no major freezing and very little, if any, snow.

The open side is going to be facing east, towards the lake. The south side will have a 14' high door offset towards the west side so I can drive the MH in and keep it close to the full west wall but still leave enough room to get the slides out and be able to walk around it. With the door down it will be enclosed on the south, west and north sides. Most of our bad weather comes from the south-west or, very occasionally, the north. At 25' wide, it should leave about an 8' to 10' wide, fully covered concrete patio running the whole length of the 60' long building. The MH might get some early morning sun through the trees but with a 10' overhang it should be protected from mid-morning onwards.

The soil is sandy but from setting fence posts over the years, I know there is a layer of clay from about 18" to 3 foot down, depending on where you are on the property.

I'm a little nervous because I haven't done anything this large for quite a few years and I hope that it is going to be a one time project. I don't want to make any obvious, stupid mistakes but the engineer in me is looking forward to it.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle View Post
We built 3 sides shed with a roof to put 5th wheel under to protect it
when not in use. Made one mistake we did not put a overhead door in.
It is now a big bird house, bird dropping all over camper not good.
So my next project is to put a 20x14 foot door in

Good luck on your new project
Don
I have a horse barn and a storage shed for my equipment that was the same way for a long time. I declared war last year and installed bird netting to the rafters and trusses. Major major improvements now. My trailers and tractors now are their natural color instead of the decorated bird poop color. It was not expensive either. Bought the rolls from Tractor Supply and stapled to the bottom of rafters in my barn and trusses in my shop. Used pneumatic stapler and just backed the pressure off.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

Put a day drain in the floor so you don't get puddles. If you can, put in a small septic tank so you can dump the black tank. Electricity would be nice too to keep the batteries charged, put solar on the roof if nothing else.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:32 AM   #10

I built a fully enclosed rv garage with an roll-up door. I used Menards to design an order the materials and used a local contractor. In Illinois, with the bugs, dust, wind, snow, and hail, a building not totally enclosed provides only limited protection. Flooring is a very thick base of limestone “road pack” with a concrete apron only under the door.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 AM   #11

Sounds pretty neat but I’d probably just fully enclose it and put a few nice big doors on the east side. Open them up when you’re there to enjoy. Button everything up and not worry when you’re away.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #12

Another RV Storage Thread

I would highly recommend building it so it can be closed completely as well. I’ve built a hangar for our airplane and seen others that were open to the elements on one side. Birds and other beasties invariably find their way into any and every opening to build nests and chillax while you are away. Bigger deal in an airplane, but important in an RV too.

I could see having a garage door on one end to get the coach in and out easy and then having accordion doors along an entire length to open up the side you want to have a view while hanging out there.

See picture for door type I’m thinking about...not size of building.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0104.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	174655
RKMilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
ETF

Thanks guys. Some really good input.

I intended to bring 200 amp service to the building and install a 50 amp pedestal for the RV. My wife says she may convert the building to a cabin after we get too old for RVing.

The City has a water supply line running along 2 sides of the property that I think I can get permission to tie into. I'd have to trench it a couple of hundred yards to the building.

I also intended to install a septic system. I suppose that I need to size it to accommodate my wife's "future cabin". Also, I think that the county now insists that all new septic systems have to be permitted and aerobic. I need to check on that.

I may have to rethink this whole open side facing the lake thing. It seemed like a good idea when I was sketching out the building. The bird poop on the vehicle thing is something I have to fight at the house along with the occasional uninvited night visitor that wants to take up residence. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your insight. It's been very helpful.

RKMilli, my wife would appreciate that picture and that door solution. She's been on the board of our local Municipal Airport for over 15 years and knows more about building hangers than I could ever hope to.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #14

[QUOTE=ETF;1831582]Thanks guys. Some really good input.

I intended to bring 200 amp service to the building and install a 50 amp pedestal for the RV. My wife says she may convert the building to a cabin after we get too old for RVing.

The City has a water supply line running along 2 sides of the property that I think I can get permission to tie into. I'd have to trench it a couple of hundred yards to the building.

I also intended to install a septic system. I suppose that I need to size it to accommodate my wife's "future cabin". Also, I think that the county now insists that all new septic systems have to be permitted and aerobic. I need to check on that.

I may have to rethink this whole open side facing the lake thing. It seemed like a good idea when I was sketching out the building. The bird poop on the vehicle thing is something I have to fight at the house along with the occasional uninvited night visitor that wants to take up residence. Back to the drawing board.

RKMilli, my wife would appreciate that picture and that door solution. She's been on the board of our local Municipal Airport for over 15 years and knows more about building hangers than I could ever hope to.

The door is from Horton Stack Doors. We chose them for low maintenance and ability to open a small portion if desired.
RKMilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETF View Post
Thanks guys. Some really good input.

Cover the bottom of the trusses with siding or fascia and no birds to deal with.

I keep mine under roof (not enclosed sides) and have no bird issues... just snow!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper_winter.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	174692  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Some internet snags for ideas...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #17

With a lake view, my thought would be to fully enclose (with overhead door on a non-lakeview side), then do a nice overhang on the lake side to make a 3-season porch. Maybe the best of both worlds??
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage