Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #21

We've had EZ-Passes (PA) on both cars for, and got a SunPass for our trips to FL. But when it came to our new DX3 I got the NC pass with the EZ-Pass. Now one pass works with EZ-Pass (and Illinois I-Pass), SunPass and PeachPass.

No problem getting it. Came quickly and works up here in PA so far.
HeyHeyJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
been thru Illinois, of course, many times, and simply pay at each booth...what's the 'hassle' everyone believes? I'm not going to go a state and set up an account, and wait for a device(s) to be sent to me, to have to keep in my rig all the time, for those 'just in case' I drive thru your state, and happen to be on a toll road.... all roads in Illinois are also not toll. Florida, either...but many people would think they are by reading some of these threads...
I also delivery brand new coaches from the factories to dealers, and have never had, needed, or desired a 'transponder' just to drive on one of their toll roads.

fun ain't it?! Travel, enjoy!
For us, the hassle is paying literally double the amount in cash compared to the I-pass/EZ-pass rates.

I'm not on toll roads nearly as often as I used to be but when I am, I'm glad to have a transponder. Saves a ton of time and money.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
been thru Illinois, of course, many times, and simply pay at each booth...what's the 'hassle' everyone believes? I'm not going to go a state and set up an account, and wait for a device(s) to be sent to me, to have to keep in my rig all the time, for those 'just in case' I drive thru your state, and happen to be on a toll road.... all roads in Illinois are also not toll. Florida, either...but many people would think they are by reading some of these threads...
I also delivery brand new coaches from the factories to dealers, and have never had, needed, or desired a 'transponder' just to drive on one of their toll roads.

fun ain't it?! Travel, enjoy!

Several states are doing away with the cash toll booth option. They will snap your photo and mail you a bill later.
It's significantly more expensive that way but to each his own....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #24

KYDan, yes my Dynamax DX3 is over the 15k lbs for a regular EZ Pass which was wrongfully set up and sent to us. Over 15k lbs the PA EZ Pass makes you jump thru hoops, two credit cards or two checking accounts etc for my rig and pulling a dolly with toad.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #25

FOURWHL... no problem I’ll have DW stand on her head to read this for me ha!
I really appreciate all the input form everyone,
We don’t go to Florida, our rig came from Lazy Days but we had it delivered and then they drove trade in back for a reasonable fee. But never know, in the future we might wander down that way.
It will be easier when all States transponders/ accounts are reciprocal.
So far near rowing down to I Pass or NC’s
Something to drive the DW crazy in choosing one
Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHeyJP View Post
We've had EZ-Passes (PA) on both cars for, and got a SunPass for our trips to FL. But when it came to our new DX3 I got the NC pass with the EZ-Pass. Now one pass works with EZ-Pass (and Illinois I-Pass), SunPass and PeachPass.

No problem getting it. Came quickly and works up here in PA so far.
Sorry if i missed it, but do u live in NC , PA? If you don't live in NC did you order it online?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #27

Gee's, what a PITA! Don't have that in CA, AZ or UT or the West in general where we mostly travel. The FastTrak listed for CA is optional just for the CarPool lanes.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #28

As a retired trucker I never had one of any type and I ran all over IL and Ohio ,IN and the northeast never needed it, just pay as you go. if you are in that big of a hurry you need to Fly IMHO
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #29

Whatever you do, don't get the MD EZ Pass. They force you to maintain a minimum balance, and charge a monthly maint. fee. When I lived there and used it commuting over one of their toll bridges, the toll was $1.00. Then tolls went up, but still a discount for EZP. When I stopped being a commuter on a toll road, something changed, and when my balance got below a certain point, they would charge my credit card to bring the balance up to $25. Then the monthly fees would eat the balance and very quickly I would get another charge. No longer live on the east coast and thankful.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #30

I’m in Nebraska with no tolls or turnpikes. I have to purchase from another State. Just a matter of what will work and easy to correctly set up the first time for when traveling east side of Good Ole USA. I’m not going to try again with PA as a business since my DX3 isn’t a business.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
Whatever you do, don't get the MD EZ Pass. They force you to maintain a minimum balance, and charge a monthly maint. fee. When I lived there and used it commuting over one of their toll bridges, the toll was $1.00. Then tolls went up, but still a discount for EZP. When I stopped being a commuter on a toll road, something changed, and when my balance got below a certain point, they would charge my credit card to bring the balance up to $25. Then the monthly fees would eat the balance and very quickly I would get another charge. No longer live on the east coast and thankful.
yep, we live in MD, bought in PA
Old 08-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #32
Berkshire 390QS

We got ours from NY. Filled out form from web site for recreational Vehicles, mailed in and got one for MH towing and got another one for car alone. Just have to remember the toad one goes in metalized bag when being towed so we are not charged twice. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
yep, we live in MD, bought in PA
I live in MD and have their EZ-Passes. Just reviewed my statements and there are no fees. Checked their fee policy...

"There is no $1.50 monthly account maintenance fee for Maryland addresses and for out-of-state addresses with three or more trips at Maryland toll facilities in the previous statement period."

But if I lived out-of-state, I wouldn't bother with a MD EZ-Pass either.
Jpcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
The Illinois I-Pass also requires a minimum deposit of $40 when you first set it up but there are no monthly fees and the money never expires. You just have to add a credit card so that it can replenish when it drops below some set amount. I think its like $5.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #35
clr

You can get a National Pass that will work across all the systems. Currently there are 13 different networks of toll highways in the United States. Transponders used with each network are not interoperable with the other networks requiring trucking companies and individual driving who travel between those networks to maintain multiple transponders. In 2012, Congress passed the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act to ease the burden of tolled interstate travel by providing motorists the convenience of a single interoperable toll tag and account. NationalPass was designed to meet the 2016 federal deadline without requiring toll agencies to install new equipment or retrofit old toll stations.

Beginning in 2019, U.S. automobile manufacturers will begin to offer a single built-in, multi-protocol toll transponder. Vehicle owners will be able to set up tolling accounts in their vehicles with either their local tolling agency or with NationalPass. This will remove the consumer burden of purchasing, maintaining, and managing multiple transponders.
The 2012 transportation funding bill MAP-21 required all electronic tolling systems on interstate highways be compatible by October 1 2016, but no funding and no penalty were provided, so discussions on interoperability are ongoing through the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association. In early to mid-2018, SunPass will become interoperable with the Texas systems. Older battery-powered SunPass transponders were no longer accepted as of January 1, 2016, in preparation for future compatibility with E-ZPass toll booths. So there is a federal law mandating inter-operation but with no teeth it is being ignored by the states and the toll networks.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #36

I just got the I-Pass for the RV - windshield mount. It is the BLUE "Commercial" version due to weight and wheels, but it's on my single I-Pass account with my car mounts. It'll work in any EZPass system - now some states (NH, MA) won't give you a discount for using EZPass unless its THEIR states ez pass. NY is a little slow billing, but it worked in western NY EZ Pass system.

From my research Ipass is the only one without monthly maintenance fees that works on EZ pass systems. Most are like MD or even have flat fees.

I also have a Kpass, which is operable with Tx and Ok. Sticker for the windshield. Drove quite a few TX toll roads earlier in the year, and they all registered with my plate mount KPass on a rental. Kpass doesn't have a separate pass for heavy vehicles, just use the same single one and you get 2 free for signing up.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #37

I got the iPass at the Jewel food store. Had to register it on line and put all of my vehicles including TT on I it you could either give a credit card # for automatic recharge or by the $20 card and do by phone which I opted for
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #38

I did phone calls, ended up setting up a NC Quick Pass. They did everything over the 48 minute conversation. I asked plenty of questions, had them re-verify all information twice and they did not get annoyed with my questions.
They were extremely knowledgeable and familiar with the Dynamax units including DX3 which made information exchanging comfortable.
This will work in many States for me until or along with the eventual Nation wide reciprocal system when that is fully integrated and implemented.

Many thanks to all putting in their two cents, it was a hard decision between Illinois I Pass and NC Quick Pass.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	183163
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #39

So are you able to purchase over the phone/online and get it shipped to you out of state? And it covers toad as well correct? (I've been trying to gather info, NC might be the way to go)
Old 08-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #40

Yes, I just made a phone call and they set me up with a account and will be mailing me a transponder. In 72 hours DW will be able to login and look at everything on our account to verify correct. I only need one transponder which is set up with the correct set of axles when pulling the dolly with toad. They put my credit card on file and will auto withdraw as needed. They keep around $20.00 in your account. The transponder one time cost is just under $8.00. Hindsight I asked 21 questions but should have asked 22 in the last being monthly or yearly fee to keep the account active. I don’t think it will be that big of a deal in fees.