Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #41

The transponder readings will know if the toad is there or not and bill accordingly.
If the DX3 is moving it always has the dolly and toad behind.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #42

I set my account up as 5 axles, I don’t want to be short, making sure we are covered in the different States.
If you run your toad around the tolls separate, you will need a separate transponder for it if you want to use the easy pass lanes.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:32 AM   #43

in Massachusetts you need an ez-pass for your camper and one in the tow vehicle
ddoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #44

I have the MD EZPASS and there are no extra fees but they do maintain a $25 balance. It's just one transponder and no matter where I go (been to Acadia and Indiana) I get billed appropriately. There may be better but I'm happy.

Marty
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
I have the MD EZPASS and there are no extra fees but they do maintain a $25 balance. It's just one transponder and no matter where I go (been to Acadia and Indiana) I get billed appropriately. There may be better but I'm happy.

Marty
X2
Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #46
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I just had a lengthy thread asking about EZ passes a couple of months ago when I was deciding if I should get one for our trip to Hershey:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...on-161774.html

We ended up getting the one from PA, but one of the things I learned in that thread is that I really should have gotten one from NC to have the most flexibility, as it'll work on 3 different systems, not just the EZ-pass ones.
NC Quick Pass just ordered. I did it online in about 10 minutes. I had no idea the NC Quick Pass was good for almost the entire eastern seaboard. Much better than my current E-Zpass.

Thanks for the info!

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
We live in MD, but have PA EZ pass. MD may have changed their fees, when we got the pass it was ridiculous. Will be looking into NC for the DX3, thanks all for all the info!!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #48

Tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
You can get a National Pass that will work across all the systems. Currently there are 13 different networks of toll highways in the United States. Transponders used with each network are not interoperable with the other networks requiring trucking companies and individual driving who travel between those networks to maintain multiple transponders. In 2012, Congress passed the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act to ease the burden of tolled interstate travel by providing motorists the convenience of a single interoperable toll tag and account. NationalPass was designed to meet the 2016 federal deadline without requiring toll agencies to install new equipment or retrofit old toll stations.

Beginning in 2019, U.S. automobile manufacturers will begin to offer a single built-in, multi-protocol toll transponder. Vehicle owners will be able to set up tolling accounts in their vehicles with either their local tolling agency or with NationalPass. This will remove the consumer burden of purchasing, maintaining, and managing multiple transponders.
The 2012 transportation funding bill MAP-21 required all electronic tolling systems on interstate highways be compatible by October 1 2016, but no funding and no penalty were provided, so discussions on interoperability are ongoing through the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association. In early to mid-2018, SunPass will become interoperable with the Texas systems. Older battery-powered SunPass transponders were no longer accepted as of January 1, 2016, in preparation for future compatibility with E-ZPass toll booths. So there is a federal law mandating inter-operation but with no teeth it is being ignored by the states and the toll networks.
Thanks for the info.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #49

I think you can get the ezpass at the Ohio turnpike service areas. I love it not waiting in some lines....just like choosing the wrong line at the bank, I always seem to pick the wrong one.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #50

The idea will eventually come to exist for a Pass that will work thru the entire US, let us hope our existing ones we have will work without having to purchase something new again.
The National Pass referred to by clr does exist, however it isn’t for everyone’s means of transportation, what wife have found on the web it is just for your regular auto only at this time. One site said the trucking industry is being worked with since drivers can move freight across the country. I don’t know of any at this time using National Pass.
If anyone knows that information would be nice to see here.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	183245
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #51

Ez pass map

You should be able to use several states with your expats, check with our issuer for a map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81D7AF3B-E961-4734-9A8F-CF86052A3B1A.jpeg
Views:	547
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	183244  
Old 08-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #52

I get the sentiment that there are things involving these transponders that can be a PITA, but its also cheaper to have one, and not just a little. We had the NJ one for years, because of the MD surcharges and things. But those are gone. We live just over the border to VA, and travel across the bridge routinely, probably 40-50 times a year. Probably 15 times towing. The toll is only for southbound traffic into VA

For the sake of this discussion, since we are talking RVs, that means, for us its a "4 axle trip" across the bridge: Cash is $18.00, EZpass is $12.50 (going off memory)

I may be ok with taking the extra time to pay cash, but if I'm paying almost twice as much??? No, I'll go the EZPass route

Old 08-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #53

I don't see anyone mention that need for a commercial EZ Pass in PA. I live in NJ and have a non-commercial NJ EZ Pass for my pickup and 5th wheel. The commercial tolls in the northeast are often MUCH higher than passenger tolls, so you may have been given bad info re: the need for a commercial. FYI, the Delaware River Bridge Authority which operates most bridges between NJ and PA have a special toll for 5th wheels. The usual 2-axle rate is just $1.00. A car pulling a 2 axle trailer pays double...$2.00. The toll for a 2 axle pickup towing a 2 axle fifth wheel is $16.00.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #54
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Virginia EZ-Pass can be done online or by phone. No minimum monthly fee so it can just be dormant when not traveling. They will give you 2 transponders. Use the blue one when you tow and the white one when you are touring around having left your trailer back at the campground. You will have one account associated with both so tolls hit the same regardless of if you are using blue or white. Blue covers 4 axles and white for 2. Works in all EZ pass states, iPass and Sun Pass too.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #55

I have it for the discounts as well as the convenience. I live in Michigan but have one from IL because they don’t have a monthly service fee while IN did.
TeacherLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #56

I have Illinois tollway. (EZ pass). I use it in RV. Just set account using RV plate. I use Illinois because no monthly charge. Example. Indiana charges $1 per month so I changed.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #57

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
why don't you just pay at the booth... a lot less hassle for the few times you might have a toll. 85,000 miles all over the us and we've never had one, and don't want to have one!
Many of the booths in the Houston, San Antonio and Austin area are unmanned. Recently got the Texas EZTag, Good for all Texas toll roads. Before that they would snap a picture and mail me a bill plus handling charges. Guessing about 20% more. Tag is for truck and nothing for RV. Got the tags in the Austin EXTag office. Maybe I'll be in trouble some day?

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #58

Our unit is DX3 Freightliner M2 pulling a dolly with car on it at 33k+lbs.... PA has it as Commercial due to weight I thought I stated on first page. I must of left that part out.
I set our NC pass up with 5 axles, and they were most helpful asking me plenty of questions, answering all of my questions with “worst case scenarios” so there would not be any instances in other States with my information readings and charges.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #59

We got our original transponders from Massachusetts before NC had Toll roads and to correct an incorrect statement earlier, you don't need a separate transponder for tow vehicle and trailer but you do need to get a transponder coded for 4 axles if you are towing the trailer.

In NC, the system is smart enough to only charge you for a two-axle vehicle if you aren't towing a trailer but have the Mass 4-axle transponder in the truck.

The one limitation of NC's system/transponders over EZ-Pass is that the transponders are NOT transferrable across vehicles - the transponder is LOCKED to a specific vehicle.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Found this also so I don’t overstate “everywhere”

Though I’m pretty sure it worked in SC this past winter...
I have one from Mass we have no toll booths, so no ezpass expect a higher bill in the mail. We haven't tried it outside the north east but as that diagram shows it works in a lot of states.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote