Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 05:43 PM   #1

Anyone consider FlexArmor to protect the roof

I probably should have asked this question first. but just dropped off my rig as a fit in appointment to have FlexArmor installed. Seemed like peace of mind to me. Did see 1 negative review, appeared to be dealer integrity issue.
Trialrun85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:40 AM   #2

Other than added weight, I've heard nothing but positive. When it's time, I'm having it installed as well.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:44 AM   #3

A forum member had this done on their DX3 a few years back, and the results looked pretty damn good:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...re-195961.html
Old 04-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
A forum member had this done on their DX3 a few years back, and the results looked pretty damn good:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...re-195961.html
Glad to hear, they have a Facebook page and will be posting pics when they get it started. I will post link here or post the pics.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Other than added weight, I've heard nothing but positive. When it's time, I'm having it installed as well.
Rusty
I think its a wise investment, I don't want any leaks, ever.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #6

Perfect time my 2021 flagstaff microlite is going to finish tomorrow. This is my second trailer having it done.
2oldcrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldcrows View Post
Perfect time my 2021 flagstaff microlite is going to finish tomorrow. This is my second trailer having it done.
Glad to hear your satisfied that much with it.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #8

Glad I took it in, pics are up on their facebook page Double Deuces RV Roofing. Indeed I had some damage. Look for the pics of the super C. posted the 14th of April.
https://www.facebook.com/ddrvroofing
They have been top notch, had me up on the roof when I dropped it off to discuss options. Called and discussed the damage and repairs and posted pics along the way.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:04 PM   #9

I'm new to FlexArmor and have a few questions.

I get the idea that with FlexArmor you don't have issues with caulking or lap sealant. However, if it is sprayed over the edges of roof items such as skylights, how do things work out if you need to replace the skylight for example?

Wouldn't you still need lap sealant if you add another item up there, such as an additional solar panel or does FlexArmor work in some similar way to lap sealant if new items are attached?

My thought long term is that once my rubber roof appears to be getting dated I would approach it with fiberglass. Having said that I know fiberglass can experience deterioration issues too. In fact would FlexArmor customers typically be working on upgrading their fiberglass roofs as opposed to rubber roofs?
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
I'm new to FlexArmor and have a few questions.

I get the idea that with FlexArmor you don't have issues with caulking or lap sealant. However, if it is sprayed over the edges of roof items such as skylights, how do things work out if you need to replace the skylight for example?

Wouldn't you still need lap sealant if you add another item up there, such as an additional solar panel or does FlexArmor work in some similar way to lap sealant if new items are attached?

My thought long term is that once my rubber roof appears to be getting dated I would approach it with fiberglass. Having said that I know fiberglass can experience deterioration issues too. In fact would FlexArmor customers typically be working on upgrading their fiberglass roofs as opposed to rubber roofs?
I believe they answer all your questions here https://rvroof.com/what-is-flexarmor/faqs/

But on your last question, I would do it to no matter the roof covering and the ratio of customers with either type of roof having this done. They all have seams where they meet other materials, penetrations etc.plenty of points of failure. This covers all of them. I am hoping this takes all the worry and maintenance headaches away. Think it will. I was concerned about delamination and life expectancy, professional inspection less than a year ago and checked in the fall by me and all looked fine, But screws holding down the cable clamps to the Satellite dome and antenna wires obviously leaked.

For the skylight some people have them covered over like the roof. some replace and spray part way up. I just had mine replaced since it was 6 years old and lived in Florida for most of it. Had them spray just to seal. If you need anything replaced or added later on, you can do it yourself and seal it up and take back to be sprayed or they do it all, think solar as well.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialrun85 View Post
I believe they answer all your questions here https://rvroof.com/what-is-flexarmor/faqs/
Thanks for the link, that did directly answer some of my questions and your reply answered the rest.

It sounds like a great product and I hope it works out really well for you.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #12

FlexArmor done

Picked up the rig Tuesday and it turned out great! The folks over at Double Deuces Roofing in York, PA are great to work with and did an excellent job with the FlexArmor.

Basically after they removed every device, cover, vent cap etc from the roof, they did the following

Replaced 2 sheets of plywood due to leaks from the cable clamp screws for the dish and antenna cables that run to the bulkhead on the fiberglass front cap. With the plywood off they ran the cables under the roof deck and eliminated the cabover bulkhead and sprayed over it all.

They used Stainless hanger bolts for remount of the satellite dish, and sprayed right over the bolts and their penetrations as one piece with the roof, masking off the threaded end of the bolt of course. So for satellite replacement, i just remove the nuts and not destroy the roof integrity. Smart.

The fiberglass on the flat was removed and the fiberglass on the radius was still adhered (at least on the curve) so they secured the roof flat portion with screws every x inches and sprayed over it all as one piece. They then painted radius black.

I chose to replace the skylight and not spay right over it, they say you can walk on if you did.

I made the decision that I was not going to get up on the roof and clean and inspect every penetration, I'd rather invest my time elsewhere and not worry continually that I missed some joint somewhere.

I am pleased wish the whole process, they know what they are doing and I like the way the roof transitions over both fiberglass caps, the top and sides looks sharp, I mentioned i was worried about the appearance and they nailed it.

If I had to do it again, I probably would have asked for something for solar, like a sealed conduit opening for wires into the electric chase and sealed panel mounts of some sort. But I was worried and wanted it done now, turns out it was leaking already. Worked out well, it was a fit in appointment and they did it in 9 days.

Finished product
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished full roof.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	271846   Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished dish.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	271847   Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished antena.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	271848   Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished skylight.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	271849   Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished radus.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	271850  

Old 04-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #13

A few more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	force flexarmor fnished endcap.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	271851   Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished bulkhead gone front capjpg.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	271852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Force Flexarmor roof bare.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	271853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Force flexarmor problem.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	271854   Click image for larger version

Name:	force flexarmor fnished frontcap.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	271855  

Name:	Force flexarmor problem2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	271856  
Old 04-21-2022, 05:25 AM   #14

I have been very pleased that i have had my roof done with Flexarmour. If you do have concerns or questions I would recommend you call them and setup a walk-thru. they take the time and explain the whole process to you. Personally i cant climb and get on the roof no more so this is real piece of mind for me and the wife.
The do extraordinary job you get to see the whole process as they are doing it. If there is no issues with the roof like damage the process takes three days usually.
2oldcrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #15
Retired Army Paratrooper

What kind of price are we looking at on this process.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
What kind of price are we looking at on this process.
The roof coating was $175 per linear foot, I had 28' on my 35DS
2 sheets of plywood at $250 each
1 skylight $250
Paint the radius $200
Total with Tax $6,201 That also included new A/C Gaskets , vent caps and Fan vent covers. But my covers that allow you to open the fans in the rain were reused as they were bigger than they carry. Plus they were in nice shape.

John
Old 04-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #17
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:

1 skylight $250

Paint the radius $200

Total with Tax $6,201 That also included new A/C Gaskets , vent caps and Fan vent covers. But my covers that allow you to open the fans in the rain were reused as they were bigger than they carry. Plus they were in nice shape.

John

Thanks John, that’s not a bad price.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:
1 skylight $250
Paint the radius $200

John
You could have gone to Lowes’s or Home Depot and gotten the 2 sheets of plywood for less than $100.

Looks like they did a great job, I might have to look into this for my 5er. I’m starting to get a little old (I’m 62) to keep climbing onto the roof 4 times a year for maintenance and repairs.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #19

Wow, keep us informed. My roof was replaced in 2007 at Camping World. The last inspection found it all cracked and turning to putty. It should be under warranty, Sounds like a better idea you have.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting546 View Post
You could have gone to Lowes’s or Home Depot and gotten the 2 sheets of plywood for less than $100.

Looks like they did a great job, I might have to look into this for my 5er. I’m starting to get a little old (I’m 62) to keep climbing onto the roof 4 times a year for maintenance and repairs.
But Lowes or HD would not have removed the old OSB and installed the new.

Last time I looked at Lowes a sheet of OSB, which is what op has on their roof, not plywood, was $57.00 sheet.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof