Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Anyone hauling a stacker trailer?

Hi all. I’m new to the forum. I came back from the Tampa rv show very interested in a dx3 because of the towing capacity and how nice they are. My question is, I want to haul a car and a few toys. I’m only able to do this with a stacker trailer. Fully loaded I will be right around 13,000lbs. With a 22’ stacker hooked up it puts me at 66’ for length. This is fine for Minnesota as we can go up to 70’. As for other states, depending, I might be over a foot. My question is anyone hauler something of this length and weight with their dx3 or dynaquest? Wonder how it pulls and how’s the maneuverability?
Thanks Jake
Timecritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

I think I answered some of your question on Facebook. The Force HD, same truck set up as the DX3 pulls our 20’ enclosed trailer with no issues, we travel through WV mountains and we keep up with and pass some traffic comfortably. I am sure the Dynaquest would do a better job with the bigger engine.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #3

I have a 32' triple axle enclosed trailer. On our most recent trip we hauled two buggies, tons of tools, spare parts, spare tires, and beer...around 47,000lbs total with a touch over 17,000 of that on the trailer axles. In my opinion, the DX3 performed flawlessly. On the long interstate grades, it easily maintained at least 45-50MPH. In only two cases did it fall below that and both were on smaller roads off the Interstate where, to me, the grades were crazy steep and there was not sufficient room to build up speed prior to pulling the grades. I'd love to replay that haul in a Dynaquest just to see exactly what the extra HP and torque gets you.

There's a lot of debate here regarding the wheelbase of these rigs...specifically the shorter wheelbase vs. that of the competitors. In terms of maneuverability, I absolutely love the shorter wheelbase. You have to get used to the tail swing, but, once you do, you quickly realize the added benefit. You can get into and through some pretty tight spots, and even the 32' trailer (with a 5' tongue) almost perfectly tracks the coach. Really, they're a dream to drive.

JT
Old 02-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

JT,
You have any issues regarding length? I found the debate on the power issues the dx3 has and people upgrading the tune. The perfect package would be a 25' stacker trailer. Then I could haul my race car, and two side by sides. Or race car, sxs and slingshot. That would put me at 69' which is fine for MN but other states a little to long.
I too am wondering if I should be looking at the dynaquest xl. Dont want to spend more if I dont have too. However, dont wanna be disappointed when it comes time to travel with a big trailer.
Jake
Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Commercial Member

One point of caution. Any time I mention how someone can "overload" the tongue weight, I am met with dismay that I would ever question their decades of experience in loading a trailer and was assured they never did that. The last time that happened I found a scale sticker in the glove box that they were over weight on the tail end.

Just because it CAN, does not mean it should. I simply caution you on the tongue weight, especially with a double stacker. Just moving a car 6" can severely change the dynamics of towing. A local dealer sold a guy a DX3, picked it up, drove great. The guys son drove it, called the dealer complaining how it could not drive, wagging all over, it was a safety hazard. He finally got him to pull over, move the car back 6"...never heard a peep after.

So, just be very careful in loading and KNOW your hitch weight. While it can accommodate a decent hitch weight, if you hit a big pothole, you'd like there to be a little "left over".

Also, weight distribution hitch does not guaranty weight distribution. Axle weights are great...but you have to know that hitch weight too.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

No dismay here, I appreciate your feedback on the subject. In fact I heeded your exact word of caution when putting together the setup we currently run. Originally, I was basing the trailer design on the hitch's stated 3000lb tongue weight capacity, but we started over after the discussion a few months ago about excessive tongue weight and the fact that Dynamax only 'recommends' 10% of the trailer weight rating (or 2000lbs) vs. what's on the actual hitch.

32' is way longer than we needed to haul two rigs, but that length combined with the triple axles allowed us to pretty much load up everything we wanted and still stay under the 2000lb tongue weight figure. It's not a perfect test, but on multiple occasions, we pulled the trailer onto the scales, unhooked, put the axles on one set of scales and the jack on another, and tried to get the coupler to the exact height it is when connected to the coach. Again, this isn't perfect, especially since the jack sits a little behind the actual coupler, but it's about as good a test as I could think of.

Having done all this I can say two things:

1. Echoing your comments above, moving too much weight to the rear of the trailer in an effort to offset tongue weight can land you in a very sketchy situation. Most will agree that too much tongue weight is a bad thing. Too little tongue weight can be a very bad thing as well.

2. Unless you plan on pulling something incredibly dense (I'm thinking a bulldozer sitting perfectly above the axles of a dual tandem equipment trailer), I just don't see how you can get to the 20,000lb towing capacity without exceeding the recommended tongue weight or the weight rating of the rear axle on the coach. Not that that's a bad thing...I'm just saying the 54,000lb GCWR on these rigs is a HUGE number. I have zero doubts about the coach's ability to handle it; I just don't see how I personally could ever get there.

Be safe!
JT
Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
No dismay here, I appreciate your feedback on the subject. In fact I heeded your exact word of caution when putting together the setup we currently run. Originally, I was basing the trailer design on the hitch's stated 3000lb tongue weight capacity, but we started over after the discussion a few months ago about excessive tongue weight and the fact that Dynamax only 'recommends' 10% of the trailer weight rating (or 2000lbs) vs. what's on the actual hitch.

32' is way longer than we needed to haul two rigs, but that length combined with the triple axles allowed us to pretty much load up everything we wanted and still stay under the 2000lb tongue weight figure. It's not a perfect test, but on multiple occasions, we pulled the trailer onto the scales, unhooked, put the axles on one set of scales and the jack on another, and tried to get the coupler to the exact height it is when connected to the coach. Again, this isn't perfect, especially since the jack sits a little behind the actual coupler, but it's about as good a test as I could think of.

Having done all this I can say two things:

1. Echoing your comments above, moving too much weight to the rear of the trailer in an effort to offset tongue weight can land you in a very sketchy situation. Most will agree that too much tongue weight is a bad thing. Too little tongue weight can be a very bad thing as well.

2. Unless you plan on pulling something incredibly dense (I'm thinking a bulldozer sitting perfectly above the axles of a dual tandem equipment trailer), I just don't see how you can get to the 20,000lb towing capacity without exceeding the recommended tongue weight or the weight rating of the rear axle on the coach. Not that that's a bad thing...I'm just saying the 54,000lb GCWR on these rigs is a HUGE number. I have zero doubts about the coach's ability to handle it; I just don't see how I personally could ever get there.

Be safe!
JT
I agree and appreciate the logic in 100% of what you just said.

And while the hitch says 3,000lbs...we don't rate the hitch, we just install it. I am actually working on a new sticker and I have added that 2,000 lbs tongue weight to the brochures to be safe. Not that it won't handle 3k in a static environment, but I see too many people thinking they can push the limits as they think they "over-engineered" and safety factors are built in. Until you hit a 12"deep pot hole, or you pull a little too far forward. Triple axle trailer certainly helps. Also, the shorter the overhang the better off you are as that weight gets cantilevered back. So I would push the limits more on a 34KD than I would a 37RB.

Anyway...I love to see common sense in play. It is often a lost skill.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
jkoenig24

Where / how did you find your stacker (or are you postulating as to what you'd like)?

My 2015 DX3-37RB is listed as 39'3" long. I searched and searched but, was unable to find a "short" (<25' OAL) stacker trailer unless I wanted to place an order for a very expensive custom stacker (and then wait MONTHS for it to be built). There's a scammer on eBay ("rvstackers", with a likely second ID of "dickerson99") with ZERO feedback (for rvstackers; 3 old feedbacks for dickerson99) who tries to get people to send a $5000 deposit to place their "order". Lots of other scammers too. eBay is totally UNCONCERNED about "rvstacker" (I'v reported them multiple times). Last year, after MUCH searching, I was able to buy a 25' Featherlite open car trailer. The overall length of my DX3 + Featherlite is 63'10" and, the Featherlite happens to be the "payloader" model (support members 8" on center vs standard 16" OC). The total weight of my Prius and Featherlite is <5,500# so, I'm WELL within my DX3's 20,000# tow rating (which is ACTUALLY only 12,500# because of the included draw bar rating). I get my rig re-weighed at a SmartWeigh station at an RV rally later this year.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #9

Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timecritic View Post
Hi all. I’m new to the forum. I came back from the Tampa rv show very interested in a dx3 because of the towing capacity and how nice they are. My question is, I want to haul a car and a few toys. I’m only able to do this with a stacker trailer. Fully loaded I will be right around 13,000lbs. With a 22’ stacker hooked up it puts me at 66’ for length. This is fine for Minnesota as we can go up to 70’. As for other states, depending, I might be over a foot. My question is anyone hauler something of this length and weight with their dx3 or dynaquest? Wonder how it pulls and how’s the maneuverability?
Thanks Jake

I see stackers going down the road all the time. Most being pulled by 36-40 motor homes. I had a 32' trailer, not stacker, Weight loaded 13500# pulled with 36' DP.. Always wanted the stacker but didn't fit my budget. With the Cummings 8.3, 22.5 tires and air brakes, towing wasn't a problem. My overall length was 70' Most enforcement people are not rabid about recreational vehicles.

It would have been nice to carry the race car and a driver to use at the track and around town. Not a problem anymore. Good luck
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #10

I don't mean to revive an old thread but even pulling with my Ram 3500 truck I have been surprised by tongue weight or rear axle weight. As Brian mentioned just because it can doesn't mean you should. Anyways I'm not sure what size hitch comes on the Force HD/DX3 (assuming a 3" based on the 20k towing capacity) but I would highly recommend anyone that tows pick up one of these hitches. They have a built in scale that will tell you the tongue weight so this combined with rolling over a CAT scale will tell you everything you need to know.
rsqcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqcon View Post
I don't mean to revive an old thread but even pulling with my Ram 3500 truck I have been surprised by tongue weight or rear axle weight. As Brian mentioned just because it can doesn't mean you should. Anyways I'm not sure what size hitch comes on the Force HD/DX3 (assuming a 3" based on the 20k towing capacity) but I would highly recommend anyone that tows pick up one of these hitches. They have a built in scale that will tell you the tongue weight so this combined with rolling over a CAT scale will tell you everything you need to know.

These are cool but looks to only be rated at 10K. Fully loaded my trailer is around 13K hence why I bought a RV with a 20K tow capacity.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #12

Rated for 21K for the 3”
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqcon View Post
Agree. I can't tell you how many times I am reprimanded when I even REMOTELY suggest anyone is overloaded. God forbid I give any word of caution and question anyones loading skills and experience.

BUT, when I hear someone remind me of the Ram's 15,000lbs towing capacity (yes, maybe for a flat tow in truck form, but that would exceed our 10k hitch) and then say they are at least 50 lbs under the axle weight (which if you combine both front and rear it exceeds the overall GVWR by 1250). It is my duty to let them know they are likely over weight. "How dare I question their experience?". Many people never even weigh their rig and those that do, I have only seen a handful ever pay attention to tongue weight.

As a side note, I know several on here have paid attention to all of that and even reduced their load so they were not at MAX capacity.

Of course the M2 is a different animal....but even then, we have been forced to reduce our tongue weight ratings because many assume there are safety factors built in. Soooo, if I go, just a little over "what's the big deal?". Then hit a huge pot-hole...and that "little over" becomes 5 times over.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Many people never even weigh their rig and those that do, I have only seen a handful ever pay attention to tongue weight.
I think a lot of people don't know how to weigh their rig. I will admit I was a little intimidated when I pulled up to the CAT scale. Not to mention how do you weigh your tongue weight? They do sell tongue weight scales but I have found that using one of those hitches in combination with rolling over the scales is the easiest method. Now if one had access to portable individual tire scales that would by far be the most accurate way.

Another thing that many people don't consider is tire pressures. Companies like Michelin put out tire load charts that show the recommend inflation pressures but many people don't know the individual tire load therefor they just inflate the tire to maximum pressure.

https://www.michelintruck.com/michel...-inflation.pdf
rsqcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Agree. I can't tell you how many times I am reprimanded when I even REMOTELY suggest anyone is overloaded. God forbid I give any word of caution and question anyones loading skills and experience.
LOL, stay away from most anyone with a truck camper!!!
Chicken Corners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #16

Brian,
I agree that most people don’t pay enough attention to there trailer weights let alone the tongue weight but I don’t agree with your comment about hitting a big pot hole. If a manufacturer puts a tongue weight rating on a hitch of a 1,000 pounds then you should be able to go down the road with a 1000 pounds of tongue weight and not worry about hitting a big pothole.
To me it’s the same as the weight rating on trucks, if a truck is rated for 19,500 as the I5 is you expect to be able to go down the road safely at 19,500 not have to only load it to 17,000 in case you hit a pothole.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #17
Commercial Member

You misread my post. I Did not say someone “at full capacity” is an issue. I said people that go “over” rated capacities, assuming its no big deal. In a static load, going over probably is fine. But when in an extreme situation, like a pothole, you multiple that overage by 5.

As a side note, it also depends on the pothole. I’m sure rims are rated at the max weight too. But i know several people that have hit a pothole that bent their rim and ruined it. No one can plan for that.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #18

I have seen one and they are pretty cool. That thing was TALL.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:57 PM   #19

I ended up putting a deposit down on a dynaquest XL recently. Sure there have been post of people bringing up the power curve with a tune on the dx3. However, I didn't wanna mess with all that. I did too much of that in my younger years. Now I just want to jump in and go. I will post how the XL pulls the stacker loaded up this summer.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:28 AM   #20

I'll just say this...

We just returned from KY pulling my 25' trailer with my 4 seater rzr in it. While the DX3 may be rated at pulling 20K lbs, clearly Dynamax did not mention at what speed.

Going up I-40 from NC to TN will net you 35 mph. Coming back from KY, we were doing 20-25 mph going up some of the hills.

My suggestion, if you have a long hill of 7% grade, I suggest you just prepare yourself to stay in the right lane and give way to the little ol' lady in a wheelchair because she WILL be passing you.

I found that if you have a moderate hill of decent length, running the speedometer up to the limiter (78mph) will let you get a running start and you can run 50-55mph up a hill with a trailer on the back (roughly 7-8K lbs)

If I have one complaint, it would be that these RV's need more torque to pull. Thank God I'm not pulling my Jeep in my trailer going up those hills, it would be faster to walk.

The RV on flat ground pulls the trailer with no hassle but simply does not like inclines.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34030060_10216457589855856_6014722113133346816_o.jpg
Views:	2642
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	199720  
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer