Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #1

Anyone tow a toad with your Isata 5?

I'm looking to add a toad to my stable of transportation devices to my Isata 5.

The motorcycle, the electric bikes and the scooter are all nice until it rains on me when we're 10-50 miles from the rig. So the wife wants a toad.

I was thinking of getting a 4x4 pick-up so at least I can load the bikes or the scooter in the truck bed.

Anyone of my fellow Isata 5 owners tow a pick-up?

If so, what do you tow and how much of a difference is it to drive with the toad attached?
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

I plan to tow 2005 Jeep Liberty. Can tow on all 4 wheels plus use bike rack on back of the Jeep.

Shelley
Whalenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #3

I tow a Jeep Wrangler. No problem with the extra weight. I hardly even know its back there. Gonna get a hitch carrier for my motorcycle.
BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

Anyone tow a toad with your Isata 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
I tow a Jeep Wrangler. No problem with the extra weight. I hardly even know its back there. Gonna get a hitch carrier for my motorcycle.

Are you using a brake booster in the Wrangler? If so what model?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

I put the brake booster system in when I was towing the Wrangler with my Forester 2401W. I have a friend who tows the Wrangler with the same 24 foot motorhome and does not use the brake booster system at all. I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Using the exhaust brake makes a huge difference with this coach.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

We have towed a ram2500 4x4 (7100 lbs) and currently towing a 2017 Jeep Cherokee trail-hawk (4100 lbs). The ram550 in the Isata 5 does not care-- pulls either easily. I have not looked carefully but at highway speed seems to be little difference in gas mileage. I pulled the 2500 1st so got the blue ox 10k lbs set up. On the truck we put the tow plate on ourselves. We got the one that bolts into the holes for the recovery hooks. On the Cherokee we had our dealer install the blue ox base plate, not that hard but it was new car and wasn't sure i could get the front fascia of the car off with out damaging it and it was winter in upstate NY and I do not have a garage. Also to tow the Cherokee you need to get the flat towing wiring harness from jeep. It is about $150 plus installation , again a dealer thing as they have to run wires into the center console. You can find other threads on this but it is needed because the Cherokee has electronic steering, not hydraulic. We also looked at a wrangler unlimited instead of the Cherokee but the Cherokee is a more comfortable ride when heading off for a long day trip from the camp site.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

Forgot to say we use the portable blue ox supplemental brake system that goes in the tow vehicle so we can switch back and forth.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

I have kept pretty close tabs on the fuel mileage and at worst the consumption may have dropped a half a mile per gallon. More of an affect in the hills and mountains.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

So what is your milage with your wrangler in tow? We have a mbs 24foot solera and wife wants a bigger one. I'm very happy driving my 24 footer and gets close to 13 towing my wrangler. I'm also a bit nervous about going bigger, as I can put this one on any campsite
Kinda waiting to see smaller version coming out this summer.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

towing with the Isata 5

I have towed a 2008 Miata and 2013 Lincoln MKZ with my Isata 5. I was just over 10 mpg with the Miata and now am just under 10 mpg with the Lincoln. That is 2600 lbs vs 4000 lbs of toad. At first the difference was pretty dramatic in feel between the two toads. But now I am used to both. While I do have supplemental braking. I find that the tow/haul mode and engine braking does 90% of the work with either toad. I know people tow lots more than 4,000 lbs. But I don't think I would like it very much.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

I got almost the same mileage towing the Wrangler with my 2401W. Mileage with the Isata 5 has been between 9 and 10.5 towing the Wrangler. I drive around 65. The differences are primarily the wind and hills. Obviously stop and go driving makes a difference as well.

I liked the 2401W and it did everything we asked of it. As it turns out we like motorhoming more than we thought we would. I love the Isata 5. Much more stable on the road in the wind and passing semis. I was very uncomfortable sleeping in the Queen bed in the 2401W and while the bed in the Isata 5 is not a full king it is a significant improvement. The only downside I have experienced is the turning radius. This is a problem mostly when fueling. I can't fuel at the high pressure truck pumps because the tube leading from the tank to the external fuel location is so long that it foams up and shuts off. I have to be careful when I am pulling into a fuel stop to make sure I can make the turn after fueling at the car pumps. I think I pretty much have it down. One thing I didn't like about the Mercedes chassis was the seats that were used. I found them very uncomfortable. The seats in the Isata are very comfortable even without arm rests.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #12

Well I decided to kill two birds with one stone - I'm due to replace my 2013 explorer sport soon so I've settled on an F150 with the same 3.5 ecoboost engine in it. So now I'll have a new car and a toad at the same time.

My research did yield a surprising fact - the F150 4x4 is actually 500 pounds less than my Explorer sport. I would have never guess that. I wonder if the F150 is as quick as the sport. I guess I'll know in a few weeks.

Now time to research, base plates, tow bars and brake systems - fun times for the Easter break.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote