RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #21

Not yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Teflon tape strikes again! There are so many bad things about using teflon tape in lieu of pipe dope where pipe dope is suitable for the application. This would be one of those applications.

Bruce
It wasn't yellow, either. Where's the inspector when you need him?

(Kidding aside, the yellow is thicker and might not have shredded internally like the white did.)

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #22

Is this not applicable?

"Teflon tape for gas fittings, also known as gas-rated Teflon tape, is yellow in color and clearly states it is for gas lines and connections. The tape works on all gas line types, including butane, propane and natural gas lines"
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Is this not applicable?

"Teflon tape for gas fittings, also known as gas-rated Teflon tape, is yellow in color and clearly states it is for gas lines and connections. The tape works on all gas line types, including butane, propane and natural gas lines"
Hereís a copy & paste from a different, recent thread that is relatively applicable to your post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
First off the OP says he's got it fixed.
I believe there is some false info here....

I totally agree that if an O-ring is missing or a flare fitting or connector is damaged- teflon tape is not the answer.
BUT if the leak was in a tapered pipe thread connection then
teflon tape might be the answer. (I prefer Oatey great white pipe dope with teflon.)
The statement that it MUST be yellow teflon tape is not accurate.
The only difference between yellow and white teflon tape is the thickness. Yellow is thicker and less prone to tearing and possibly allowing tiny pieces of tape to become loose inside the fitting and possibly clogging an orifice or regulator.
If the white was used and the joint is not leaking and has been tested with soap solution then it's most likely a good fix and is not going to just fail one day down the road.

Feel free to google- What is the difference between white and yellow teflon tape

See this--> https://www.quora.com/Why-is-yellow-...pipe-in-the-US
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Everything you wrote about the use of tape is true. What most people donít know is tape isnít required and dope isnít required to properly connect and seal NPT tapered threads. Absolutely nothing is needed other than properly cut threads to create a seal. The only purpose for the use of tape and dope on tapered threads is as a lubricant ó not a sealant. Properly cut and tightened tapered threads will not leak if you do not apply tape or dope. Freshly-cut threads, even after being wiped-off, retain enough cutting oil on them to suffice as the lubricant needed to properly tighten and seal a NPT joint. However, whenever I am working with metal NPT joints, I always use Rectorseal No.5 as a lubricant. Always. If I am dealing with plastic threads, I use white PTFE tape. It is so rare that I need to use tape that I donít even carry it in my bag. I keep it on my truck for the situations where I do need it.

I see PTFE tape wrapped on everything with threads, no matter what it is, whenever I come across a job where a homeowner or handyman has been there before me. So often, the tape is the cause of the problem I am there to fix.

Bruce
Bruce