Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

Aqua Hot Utility Bay Heat

I have a 2017 Dynaquest with an Aquahot 450D. The brochure says it heats the utility bays. I dont see any controls for temperature or radiators in the wet bay or fresh water bay. I had an Aqua Hot tech look also. She didnt see any either.

What am I missing? There are no heating pads also.
Worm43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Commercial Member

There is a heat exchanger in the coach, that has a duct run to the roof of the utility compartment. It is controlled by the bedroom T-stat. Some people have added a thermostat for the utility bay and rewired it to that heat exchanger. Today, we have a 3rd t-stat that controls the utility bay.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Brian

Is this the fresh water bay also ?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Commercial Member

depends on floor plan. A lot of our fresh water is in the bed base or the wardrobe base within conditioned space.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

My thread here details adding a thermostat in the bay http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=151096
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

It’s 37 RB. The tank is in the passenger side bay
Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Commercial Member

As I recall that is one continuous compartment from side to side...so, yes, in theory it should have "some" heat. There is a whole thread on winter camping in the DX3 though, that would also apply to the XL. One day or so is not big deal, but if you plan on staying through some cold nights, then some extra precaution is necessary.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #8

As is I've found stock setup is fine down to 20. A little below for a few hours even. It's when you get down into the single digits for hours at a time you need to make some adjustments
Old 12-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm43 View Post
I have a 2017 Dynaquest with an Aquahot 450D. The brochure says it heats the utility bays. I dont see any controls for temperature or radiators in the wet bay or fresh water bay. I had an Aqua Hot tech look also. She didnt see any either.

What am I missing? There are no heating pads also.

Check here. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...x3-174008.html

Will give you some info.

Note, I never had an issue with the fresh water tank or the black and grey tanks in bitter cold (down to -2 overnight). With addition of the heater in the wet bay plugged into external extension cord for power. (not using the coach power)
Another suggestion is to make sure your heated water supply hose (aftermarket) is well insulated at the connections.

In about 3.5 weeks with shore power, I went through roughly 120 gallons of propane. You will most likely need to refuel your diesel. I would do that early due to the safety cut on the fuel tank at I believe is 1/4 tank.

Have fun. The cold is fun and is doable in a Dynamax. Just need to take some precautions.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #10

Aqua Hot Utility Bay Heat

Checked wet bay and fresh water bay. No aqua hot ducting to either. Wet bay has tanks mounted to under floor Fresh water is in a separate bay with no ducting. Something else that should have been standard that is not present along with no outside ground fault outlet. You get that with a entry level coach. So sad 😞
Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm43 View Post
Checked wet bay and fresh water bay. No aqua hot ducting to either. Wet bay has tanks mounted to under floor Fresh water is in a separate bay with no ducting. Something else that should have been standard that is not present along with no outside ground fault outlet. You get that with a entry level coach. So sad ��

My 2018 DX3 is an early 2018. Picked up in Sept. 2017.
You are right. No heater pads, no ducting into wet bay. So mods will be required.
The Aqua Hot is opposite the wet bay and residual heat from the unit is routed between the gray and black tanks to the wet bay. I guess the thinking was that would be enough. It isn't in very cold glamping.

I have heat exchangers under the frig (living space), under the washer/drier( bedroom/ lavatory), and under the stationary cabinet in the kitchen by the shower wall (bathroom/ living area 1 outlet to living space)

I have not explored the routing of adding a duct(s) to the wet bay.
A dedicated heat exchanger would be best.
The heat exchanger under the washer/drier also feeds the bedroom and kept the fresh water tank warm. (cabinet was actually warm the whole time I was in the cold)

I currently have a full plate so will have to get things done around here before I can investigate mods.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Commercial Member

I'll have engineering look at that floor plan. I think it is the only one with the water tank on the outside in a separate bay.

We do have a GFI in one of the outside bays...not sure which one however. I think further up front.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #13

GFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'll have engineering look at that floor plan. I think it is the only one with the water tank on the outside in a separate bay.

We do have a GFI in one of the outside bays...not sure which one however. I think further up front.
Thanks Brian

I have no GFI. It should be in the bay behind step. They forgot to install it. Checked every single bay no outlet. Fresh water bay has no duct int it. Maybe they didn’t install
Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #14

Brian,

My DX3 37TS does have an outside gfi receptacle in the second bay from front on the passenger side.

further question:
Since the tank heater switches are not used in the DX3, are the wire ends of those circuits/relays available in the wet bay area? My thinking is to repurpose those to run auxiliary heating in the wet bay.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
Commercial Member

I know at one time, we shared harnesses. So the wires might be there.

As for heat duct....FYI, I just checked the RB print and we show a duct run from the heat exchanger under the fridge to the fresh water compartment. While that duct might not come all the way down, check the ceiling of that compartment for a hole. They could have cut off the duct at the floor level.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I know at one time, we shared harnesses. So the wires might be there.

As for heat duct....FYI, I just checked the RB print and we show a duct run from the heat exchanger under the fridge to the fresh water compartment. While that duct might not come all the way down, check the ceiling of that compartment for a hole. They could have cut off the duct at the floor level.
Found the heat exchanger under the fridge one duct runs to kitchen one to bathroom and one is open blowing under fridge. No hole is drilled through floor to fresh water bay. I guess they forgot to run duct work

No 110 wiring to front bay. looks like they wired another outlet by entry door instead of outside GFI outlet
Old 12-08-2018, 01:55 AM   #17
ETF

That's interesting! The tank heater switches on the 37TS aren't connected. I've never tried to use them and probably never will but it's interesting to know. See what you find out on this forum.

Mine has one 120v receptacle in one of the bays. Right now I can't remember which one. There is also a 120v receptacle below the driver's side door. I don't know if that works or what powers it as I've never used it either.

Just in case we get caught in freezing weather someplace I carry a small, 200w ceramic heater and an extension cord. Never had to use it. As you can tell, I'm usually a warm weather camper.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #18

The receptacle (plug, actually) below the driver’s door is for the engine block heater.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:47 AM   #19
ETF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
The receptacle (plug, actually) below the driver’s door is for the engine block heater.
As I said in my previous post, "See what you find out on this forum". Thank you!!!!
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote