Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

Are those of you who bought the Mercedes diesel set up over the Ford

are you happy you did or do you question your choice? Or are there things you wish you had done different? Was the extra money for the Mercedes Diesel worth it, now that you have owned it? Do any of you feel like you would go with the Ford if you had to do it over? Your likes and dislikes would be appreciated.

In the Class a diesels I know people like the fact that the engine is in the rear and generator in front, but in a small Class C (24-26') that isn't the case. So is the extra cost of the diesel engine and diesel generator worth it in many other ways?
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #2

"diesel generator worth it in many other ways?"

If you like to boondock the diesel will have fuel long after the propane runs out.

Propane is great for folks that seldom use generators as it will start after months of non use.

Long term boondocking still requires water refills and waste removal , so in smaller units a diesel noisemaker is little help.

In a bus conversion with 150G of diesel, 200G of fresh water and 200G of black tankage , a diesel noisemaker is grand .

WE have a Sprinter Isata 3 FWS 24 ft which can boondock for about 3 days if no air cond is required .

However we are ex sailors and know how to conserve.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #3

Forester MBS 2401R

We have a 2015 model. We bought the MBS chassis for it's smaller size and the better handling of the MBS over the Ford. The diesel is small, but provides enough HP and torque to pull our Honda Fit Toad. Mileage averages 11.5 in hilly terrain, about 13 on flat (like Florida). We had originally planned to not have a Toad, but in retrospect, the Toad was a huge benefit - despite the hassles of connecting and disconnecting.

We bought the diesel generator option for longer running. Not sure if it's still available as FR dropped it for a while and I think Cummins/Onan discontinued the QD3200. It has less capacity (obviously) than the propane 3600 watt unit. The 3200 has problems with the Dometic 13.5K a/c, but ours will run our Atwood 15K heat pump that we installed.

If MPG is your primary concern, then the MBS is quite a bit better - but I never ran numbers to see if there was a payback vs. the V10 Ford.

The cargo carrying capacity of the MBS units is very poor. The Fords are probably quite a bit higher. Ours is about 925 pounds and I think the Isata 3 models are even lower. I'm installing 6 Alcoa wheels to gain back about 100 pounds (yes I know wheels are unsprung weight).

If I had to do it over again, I would buy a year old LTV Unity. Much better build quality, although many of the components are made by the same suppliers. We bought the FR as a fairly low risk "investment" for our first RV. Wouldn't do that again and this will probably be our first and last given the issues that seem to be endemic with RV's. Hope this helps.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #4

Posting about FR quality in the Dynamax forum is like two different animals. We bought the Dynamax Isata 3 FW after a couple of years of research and attending the Tampa RV show two years in a row. We love the MB diesel, can hardly hear it running compared to the Ford. Every time I fill up and see I got 14 mpg I just smile. Rides is very smooth and the cab is roomy. We love our unit so far.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Commercial Member

The reason I pitch staying with the LP gen on the Isata 3 is because we offer a 20 gallon LP tank which is bigger than everyone else on the market. So right off the bat you have tons of LP available to you (not literally but you know what I mean).

Also, the diesel gen stops running once you hit a quarter of a tank, being that the MBS only has a 26 gallon fuel tank, if you don't stop to fill up before you hit the campsite, you now have less fuel to run the gen if needed.

I also like that it is a 3.6kw over the diesel 3.2 and the LP seems to run quitter and cleaner to boot. It also costs more... almost $6k more on the order sheet.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Posting about FR quality in the Dynamax forum is like two different animals. We bought the Dynamax Isata 3 FW after a couple of years of research and attending the Tampa RV show two years in a row. We love the MB diesel, can hardly hear it running compared to the Ford. Every time I fill up and see I got 14 mpg I just smile. Rides is very smooth and the cab is roomy. We love our unit so far.
Would love to know what your annual service and maintenance runs on your Sprinter RV? I have heard figures of $500-1800.
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford, mercedes