Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #1

Atwood air command isata 3

We are currently in the Pacific Northwest for holidays, it is a little cold but the rooftop air unit doesn’t blow heat, always goes to gas furnace? Isn’t this unit supposed to heat also? I have the thermostat on heat and auto fan but it always cycles the furnace not the roof unit? Any suggestions? I have recently got a plug in space heater to avoid burning up all our propane.
Jlole76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlole76 View Post
We are currently in the Pacific Northwest for holidays, it is a little cold but the rooftop air unit doesn’t blow heat, always goes to gas furnace? Isn’t this unit supposed to heat also? I have the thermostat on heat and auto fan but it always cycles the furnace not the roof unit? Any suggestions? I have recently got a plug in space heater to avoid burning up all our propane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512704598.699005.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	157814
Jlole76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

How cold is it outside? I found this in the manual regarding temps at which the heat pump will function. You have the furnace light OFF which is supposed to make the heat pump primary heat source.

“The unit will heat in the heat pump mode in ambient temperatures above approx. 45°F. The furnace will automatically engage at ambient temperatures below approx. 45°F.”
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Interesting as this is a discussion we are having right at this very moment. Most people don't really understand how a heat pump works. It draws heat out of the air....if there is no heat in the air, then it has nothing to draw and will kick on the furnace.

My contention is that we should change to a "heat strip". While some people consider this a "cheaper" device...it just works as expected. The air coming across the electric heating element is warmer than that from a heat pump and the AC doesn't care what the outside temp is. It is not as electrically efficient as a heat pump...but if you are plugged in, I'm not sure any one cares. For residential use maybe its important...but not RV's. Now having said that...if the heat strip can't heat the coach to the selected temperature, then it will also kick the furnace on....but at a least it will try. The heat pump won't.

The argument "for", is when you look at everyone in the motorhome market...they all "option" heat pump. Maybe its because one person started and the rest followed. But in (15) years of selling heat pumps, this is the very first year I have ever heard a single complaint on them and it seems like they are coming in rapid fire. Maybe today's buyer is a little more tech savvy and wants to test it out or better understands it purpose...even if they don't always understand how it works.

So anyway..here's one vote for changing to a heat strip just like the one I remember at Grandma's house. (even though you won't be able to see it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	157846  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

A bit out of the conversation but I find the electric heater/fan doodads to be a great addition to winter camping. I know it's one more thing to carry but the ability to move it around and choose to use electric vs propane is great. For the small da footages we have they do an awesome job. Maybe one day I'll spring for the fancy dyson one
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Commercial Member

The heat strip in the AC, is the same thing...it just resides in the AC housing. The portable heaters are nice too if you're conserving LP.

I think "heat pump" is something someone checks off on their comparison list and while it sounds good, it is very underwhelming in its actual function.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

Kind of like side view cameras
Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Have to agree with BC. We don't bother with the Heat Pump. Use the Aqua-hot on electric until it can't keep up, then switch to the diesel burner. Always have the fireplace on.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #9

If it's colder than 40 then the heat pump will default to the furnace. I found that I have to set the temp high like 74 or the heat pump will constantly cycle on and off. And in the middle of the night when the temp drops the furnace kicks on and we sweat cuz 74 for the furnace is way too hot.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Kind of like side view cameras
I think the side view cameras are a waste. The darn things always come on with the turn signals blanking up the navigator when I'm trying to follow the map. Then I can't use the tiny screen anyhow. Always use the side mirrors. In fact I would like to disable the side view cameras as a hazard.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I'll just say I agree...I had a much longer post and then realized we were taking this poor thread off the rails. So I'll circle back and say the Heat Pump, just like the side cameras are better in idea than reality.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

My heat pump seems to blow more cold air than heat. I have gone to the ceramic portable heaters as well.
Ditto on side mirrors. I have a copy of a post on this forum on how to disconnect them just haven’t done it yet
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
Ditto on side mirrors. I have a copy of a post on this forum on how to disconnect them just haven’t done it yet
Do you still have the link to the instructions? My search couldn't find it.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

Heat pumps are a fantastic idea IF you are paying for the electric.

The hassle is about 40F the surface that is outside removing heat gets condensation which freezes , and the unit stops working , until the ice melts.

The modern heat pumps for homes work OK to about -20F because they use a computer to reverse the process , take some heat from the house and heat the exterior surface. This only lasts for a min or two , and the unit returns to taking heat from outside.

It is worth the effort as the units will usually put out 3X the heat per dollar.

Of interest if the dollar comes out of your pocket , but most campgrounds do not (yet!) charge for electric so the vastly simpler hot wire is quieter and easier to maintain.

These "split systems" are all over Euroland where electric is 3X-5X as expensive as the USA.

A portable heater works fine , but it MUST have both a thermostat to cut it off if it overheats , and a tip over switch to cut it off.

For folks stopping for long term the units that look like radiators and are warm , require no fans and are safest , but bulky to store.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Do you still have the link to the instructions? My search couldn't find it.

Try this link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1390535
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'll just say I agree...I had a much longer post and then realized we were taking this poor thread off the rails. So I'll circle back and say the Heat Pump, just like the side cameras are better in idea than reality.

I don’t suppose there is a way to add heat strips to the new Atwoods?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #17

dlfishing - outstanding. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately for me it is a little bit past my ability to complete. I might just take it to a local shop and let them tackle it. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
I don’t suppose there is a way to add heat strips to the new Atwoods?
X2
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
X2

X3
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
dlfishing - outstanding. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately for me it is a little bit past my ability to complete. I might just take it to a local shop and let them tackle it. Thanks again.

Yeah, that’s why I haven’t tackled it yet, will need plenty of time to figure out what I’m doing wrong as I proceed