Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 03:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I can not find who makes the unit for Atwood, I highly doubt if they produce it. I think that it's the guts produced by Dometic and then the line name of Atwood is put on them, but I can't verify that. There really only has been 2 major players for years. One being Dometic and the other Coleman mark4 units. As of late with Dometic buying out Atwood there is now really a 3rd brand but still thinks it is produced by Dometic, but I can be corrected if I'm wrong. Maybe Brain knows that answer.
https://www.caravanindustry.com.au/a...mand-australia
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:05 AM   #22

Okay thanks, imported from Australia, I never heard of it or being made here in America before. Thanks for finding that info.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:31 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Correct. Atwood bought Aircommand but did not buy the engineering. Not a smart move in hindsight. Dometic builds all their stuff, so I don’t see the Atwood AC lasting much longer. They want control over it and I think they just wanted them off the market. They were the quietest and lowest amp draw on the market.

Dometic still dominates the market because they are the most “cost effecient” but we went with Coleman because they are similar in decibels to the Atwood. We pay more for that. Dometic is developing a dual fan unit (I am told the reason behind the low decibels) and Furrion is launching one this year. I’m assuming someone in China is building the Furrion. Looked promising, but I prefer performance over bling.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #24

What happened to Carrier? We had a TT with a Carrier A/C and you could hang meat inside when it was 100 degrees outside.

caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Correct. Atwood bought Aircommand but did not buy the engineering. Not a smart move in hindsight. Dometic builds all their stuff, so I don’t see the Atwood AC lasting much longer. They want control over it and I think they just wanted them off the market. They were the quietest and lowest amp draw on the market.

Dometic still dominates the market because they are the most “cost effecient” but we went with Coleman because they are similar in decibels to the Atwood. We pay more for that. Dometic is developing a dual fan unit (I am told the reason behind the low decibels) and Furrion is launching one this year. I’m assuming someone in China is building the Furrion. Looked promising, but I prefer performance over bling.
Thanks for being so honest, it's refreshing. That's why you have a loyal base. If I remember right about 3 or 4 years ago Colemen cheapen there units claiming weight, which was true, but it wasn't because of the install weight it was because of the shipping weight. Dealers couldn't have them shipped by UPS. They had to be dropped shipped. When they changed everything to plastic they were able to ship UPS. Good luck trying to find a quality unit for your coaches. Now with Atwood you can see why they were never marketed in the USA before. I looked up parts for it and all I can say is what a joke, look at the Condenser fan blade, not a cage that is really needed. Very important part to change the state of Freon. But a plastic disk only is what I found. As far as Carrier, they have never been a major player in the industry. I know if anyone can you can Brain, find a unit that deserves to be put on your coaches.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #26

By the way what Atwood did was to buy the right to put there logo on the shroud only, your right no right to engineering. IMO Atwood needs to stick to what they do best hot water heaters and furnaces, and that is still very Questionable IMO, that ciructt board made in China, is just pure junk, everyone should Carrie a spare. Well known in the industry. A hint for people if you have a Atwood put spacers for air flow under the screws to get it off the face of that heater. When they warp from heat they break the connection, which requires a new board.