Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
I have 2 Atwood 15K and the fans run continuously regardless of the mode except off
I wish i could get my fan to run even when not heating or cooling
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
This was the only reference in the manual. Still not sure if my unit goes into Auto mode as I cycled through the modes numerous times and don't recall a time when both Heat and Cool were both illuminated. Also not sure if this means the fan will shutoff at the set point or just switch between Cool and Heat.

Both the selling dealer and a different servicing only dealer who was an Atwood warranty shop had no idea why the fan would not cutoff at the set point and diagnosed it as a bad circuit board. Still no answer from Atwood tech support.

"MODE – AUTO COOL/HEAT

- This mode has an outdoor defrost mode (indicated by a flashing HEAT LED). During the outdoor defrost cycle, the MODE pushbutton is inactive."

Doesn't really explain much about the Auto mode. I am heading out tomorrow for a three day camping trip and will report what I find.

It appears that your thermostat is a grey color. Mine is tan but otherwise looks exactly the same as to the layout.
I purchased my Atwoods about two months ago. I don't know how old yours are but it could be they added that feature to the new ones.
If that's the case then you could check to see if you can update yours.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #23

I tried out the Auto setting on the thermostat and it did in fact display the Cool with the Heat flashing. The fan never shut off but did cycle through the three speeds as needed. I am going to assume its working as designed even though definitely different that the usual thermostat function which shuts the fan off when the set point is reached. The fan is very quiet, so it doesn't create an issue and does provide constant ventilation which is appreciated.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #24

Quote:
I tried out the Auto setting on the thermostat and it did in fact display the Cool with the Heat flashing. The fan never shut off but did cycle through the three speeds as needed. I am going to assume its working as designed even though definitely different that the usual thermostat function which shuts the fan off when the set point is reached. The fan is very quiet, so it doesn't create an issue and does provide constant ventilation which is appreciated.
Ventilation? Where is that coming from? The air conditioner takes the air from the room and just recycles it back into the room. It's the same air. There would be a big issue in my home if the fan continues to run when the compressor shut down. I don't have an Atwood but I think something is amiss. Oh well.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Ventilation? Where is that coming from? The air conditioner takes the air from the room and just recycles it back into the room. It's the same air. There would be a big issue in my home if the fan continues to run when the compressor shut down. I don't have an Atwood but I think something is amiss. Oh well.

The air that is moving is being filtered. I paid extra in my house for that feature
Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #26

Quote:

Attachment 139687
This is what mine looks like when in auto temp mode.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Attachment 139687
This is what mine looks like when in auto temp mode.

The temp is set high because I normally keep it in dry mode when we are not using the motorhome
Old 05-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #28

Quote:
The air that is moving is being filtered. I paid extra in my house for that feature

And in my home I have electrostatic filters in addition to high density filters to keep the air and the house fresh
Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #29

Quote:
And in my home I have electrostatic filters in addition to high density filters to keep the air and the house fresh

FYI
This is from a different forum which has the same discussion about the Atwood AC
"Fan operation....

In cooling mode, the fan does indeed run constantly, however, if you use the "auto" fan speed, the fan will run at slow speed when the compressor is off, and then cycle up to a higher speed as needed when the compressor starts.

In heat mode, the fan does not run continuously. When the compressor shuts off, the fan will also shut off after the heat in the coils has dissipated. Then every minute or so, the fan will run on slow for a few seconds to check the temp of the air in the duct. When the air in the duct drops below the set point, then the compressor will start and when the coil heats up the fan will start also. I call this the "sniffer mode"..... In heating mode the fan runs very independently of the compressor. For example, when the unit first starts up, the compressor will run for a few minutes until the coil heats up. (No use to circulate cold air when you are trying to warm up.)

As I stated before, I am very impressed with these heat pumps...

All the best,
iRV2 Forums"
Old 06-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #30

Good find. That is exactly how mine are functioning.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #31

Quote:
FYI
This is from a different forum which has the same discussion about the Atwood AC
"Fan operation....

In cooling mode, the fan does indeed run constantly, however, if you use the "auto" fan speed, the fan will run at slow speed when the compressor is off, and then cycle up to a higher speed as needed when the compressor starts.

In heat mode, the fan does not run continuously. When the compressor shuts off, the fan will also shut off after the heat in the coils has dissipated. Then every minute or so, the fan will run on slow for a few seconds to check the temp of the air in the duct. When the air in the duct drops below the set point, then the compressor will start and when the coil heats up the fan will start also. I call this the "sniffer mode"..... In heating mode the fan runs very independently of the compressor. For example, when the unit first starts up, the compressor will run for a few minutes until the coil heats up. (No use to circulate cold air when you are trying to warm up.)

As I stated before, I am very impressed with these heat pumps...

All the best,
iRV2 Forums"
X2. Thanks for that explanation. I have been following this thread with great interest. Not so much for the a/c operation, but for the heat pump part of it. It's good to know that it's working as designed. Although it sure seems unusual and a bit annoying. The 'sniffer mode' comes on for a few seconds, then off for a while, on a few...off, on, off, etc. finally a little heat, then the whole process repeats. It would be nice if it just waited for the thermostat to tell it to turn on instead of asking (sniffing) if it's okay to turn on.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #32

So just to bring this full circle, when you press the "Furnace" button, it turns off the heat pump and switches to the propane fueled furnace? I think I am beginning to understand this process.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #33

Yes, that is correct. Someone can confirm, but I think the heat pump will only work down to 46 degrees.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
Yes, that is correct. Someone can confirm, but I think the heat pump will only work down to 46 degrees.

See the attached photo. The furnace will automatically come on when the temp drops below 45*
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	139985
Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #35

OK, I thought the Atwood thermostat was working, but now I am skeptical. It starts out working fine and changing fan speeds as needed. After awhile I notice the fan is on high for a prolonged time and I check the actual temp by holding the "Sleep" button and it registers 79 or 80 degrees. My other thermometers say it's 72 and it feels like 72.

I turn the unit off completely on the thermostat and then back on and it immediately drops to the low fan speed like it's recognizing the actual temp. Stays that way for awhile and then repeats the process by going to high and showing an incorrect temp when pressing the "Sleep" button.

The good news it's cooling when the outside temp here in South texas is 95f, but just not responding correctly with the fan speeds.

My diagnosis is the internal temp sensor on the thermostat is defective. The air conditioner itself seems to be responding appropriately, just the temp it's using to make changes is incorrect.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:07 PM   #36

I bought my isata 3 used but have no manual for the thermostat. Thing is on Celsius. Cant for the life of me figure out how to switch it to Fahrenheit.
muzikmakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:18 PM   #37
Commercial Member

All of our manuals are online as well. https://forestriverinc.help/#/dynama...2024/motorhome

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:29 PM   #38

Try this -

Hold the down button and fan button at the same time for 5 seconds. What I found in an Atwood manual to change.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:07 AM   #39
NXR

As an aside, while I didn't think it would ever happen, Micro-Air came out with an Atwood version of their thermostat product: https://www.microair.net/collections...d-replacements

It probably lacks the diagnostics of the factory Atwood thermostat but may be more useful for many people.

Ray
Old 01-28-2024, 12:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Try this -

Hold the down button and fan button at the same time for 5 seconds. What I found in an Atwood manual to change.
Thanks milkman! That was it! Only took about 2 seconds.
muzikmakur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat