Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Awning LED light.

Now that we are back and have shut down for the winter I am trying to get a few things fixed without having to travel to a dealer. Has anyone else had their awning LED light stop working in the middle of the strip? If so was there a fix or did you need to replace the entire strip? I'm guessing the entire strip needs replacing. Has anyone done this job themselves as it looks like most people would be able to fix this without a service call. Last question and although I took this photo in Yellowstone back in June I am just now getting to it, is this LED still under warranty? I purchased my 2018 Isata 5 In Sept 2017 being just over a year.

Any help would be great and BC do you guys stock this item? Just trying to avoid a service.

Thanks,
Paul Fontaine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190102-125815_Gallery.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	193867  
Old 01-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

We do not stock "just the strip". That would be a Carefree thing. I don't recall if they match our 2 year or if they are one year.

I went to look and got a link to their site. It looks like only one year, but they do have a "quick link" for white LED light replacement. That leads me to believe they may have seen it before.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/s...rranty-rv.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #3

If Carefree doesn't fix it or supply the lights, you can find the LED strip in a roll on Ebay or Amazon. Get some 3M double sided tape to install.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
If Carefree doesn't fix it or supply the lights, you can find the LED strip in a roll on Ebay or Amazon. Get some 3M double sided tape to install.
Thank you, I thought about that but then started to think about the plug that is on the awning itself and would any generic LED fit it. May have to stay with what was installed. I did buy an extended warranty when I made the purchase so I may see what out of pocket cost I might suffer. The part is around $100

Paul
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

Had several lights out and a few dim. Replaced entire strip. I think the Dealer ordered it from Dynamax. My awning is made by Carefree of Colorado so you might be able to order from them b
Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
X2! This is the best way to go. For less than $20 you get a 16 ft roll and cut to fit. Just splice the wires in to your 12V leads.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #7

The Dynamax LED lights are installed in the track, I am not sure the stick on ones would work.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
D W

The Awning LED lights on my Salem are in a track as well, held in by a 3M type tape.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. Called Carefree of Colorado and gave them my SN off the awning. Although the warranty was out they sent me a replacement free of charge after explaining to them when it occurred and that I had time stamped photos. Excellent customer service as they actually listened and wanted a happy customer. Just passing along the information..Thanks again.

Paul
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XGLMPR View Post
Thanks for the replies. Called Carefree of Colorado and gave them my SN off the awning. Although the warranty was out they sent me a replacement free of charge after explaining to them when it occurred and that I had time stamped photos. Excellent customer service as they actually listened and wanted a happy customer. Just passing along the information..Thanks again.

Paul
Awesome, did Carefree elaborate on how difficult it is to replace?
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Awesome, did Carefree elaborate on how difficult it is to replace?
I went to my coach today and let my awning out. I noticed there was a thin black strip of plastic on both ends. I removed the strip towards the front which exposed the plug. I then pulled on the LED strip and it peel right off and was done with 3M tape. it just peels off easy. It is a 16' strip. I was told to just peel the tape on the new strip and push it into place. It looked as though it was in a track but it wasn't. When I get the new strip I will try and replace it ASAP although I just had Complete Right "reverse" shoulder replacement three weeks ago so I am one handed.

Paul
Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XGLMPR View Post
I went to my coach today and let my awning out. I noticed there was a thin black strip of plastic on both ends. I removed the strip towards the front which exposed the plug. I then pulled on the LED strip and it peel right off and was done with 3M tape. it just peels off easy. It is a 16' strip. I was told to just peel the tape on the new strip and push it into place. It looked as though it was in a track but it wasn't. When I get the new strip I will try and replace it ASAP although I just had Complete Right "reverse" shoulder replacement three weeks ago so I am one handed.

Paul
Thanks Paul, this is great information, I have a couple of led's that are intermittent so I am going to need to replace mine. Please take care of that shoulder!
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #13

Just as a data point, we had several LEDs in that strip that didn't illuminate at the time of delivery of our coach. We noticed it and the dealer replaced it in a few minutes with something they had in stock and I feel REALLY confident that it wasn't a Carefree part. We have not had an issue since.

to the original poster: Good to hear that Carefree stood behind their product.

Tags
awning, led, light