Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 AM   #1

Basement Compartments

Has anyone fully sealed their compartments? If so would you do it again?
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #2

not sure by "fully sealed", but I did use caulking and sealed all around the bin where the plastic meets the metal, sealed around the outside too in some areas. it does cut down on road dust and some of the water mist if it is pouring when we are driving. I would do it again, it didnt take that much time and I think it has helped.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
not sure by "fully sealed", but I did use caulking and sealed all around the bin where the plastic meets the metal, sealed around the outside too in some areas. it does cut down on road dust and some of the water mist if it is pouring when we are driving. I would do it again, it didnt take that much time and I think it has helped.
That's a great idea halla, I did add additional rivets to keep the plastic from pulling away from the metal frame when loaded. I'll try some caulk.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I have never noticed anything in mine, but now I will have to check and look closer.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

Great....I have already add additional rivets, looks like it is time time to get the caulking gun out. The dust isn’t bad but would be nice to lessen it.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

Used a silver silicone, blended with the plastic pretty well, sealed top edge with black, ocd you know.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #7

I was thinking of using silicone on the inside of the compartment and then on the outside use something like the gorilla waterproof patch and seal tape.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
I have never noticed anything in mine, but now I will have to check and look closer.
Joe, leave it to Aaron to do something that makes so much sense we have to do it to ours also.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #9

Had body shop add additional screws and sealant as mine had already pulled away from the sides in several places.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Joe, leave it to Aaron to do something that makes so much sense we have to do it to ours also.
Yeah LOL, I never noticed any water, dirt, or any pulling away.
It does make sense though. Now that it has been pointed out, I will see that stuff for sure LOL. Just another project, and one that is a good idea.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #11

I sealed mine with caulk as others have done due to road dirt, dust and mist getting in and accumulating. Added some rivets in spots where it looked like maybe one or two were missed along the bottom and screws with washers along the sides to shrink gaps while the caulk was still curing. Caulked the inside edges and the outside bottom edge. On the compartments with open air next to them that contain the batteries and the generator I made small blocks out of wood and caulked them in between at the top front as this is an entry point for creepy crawlers and mice.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
I sealed mine with caulk as others have done due to road dirt, dust and mist getting in and accumulating. Added some rivets in spots where it looked like maybe one or two were missed along the bottom and screws with washers along the sides to shrink gaps while the caulk was still curing. Caulked the inside edges and the outside bottom edge. On the compartments with open air next to them that contain the batteries and the generator I made small blocks out of wood and caulked them in between at the top front as this is an entry point for creepy crawlers and mice.
Duct seal works nicely too, especially around wiring that goes through the compartments or floor as it can be removed if necessary.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote