Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Batteries and slide

We bought brand new batteries last Labor Day for our 2018 Isata 3 24 FW. Since this was our first winter with it I had my poor hubby remove them. I found out I didn’t have to remove them if plugged in. Learned a big lesson there. Anyways
We took a 8 week trip last summer. Every so often when stopping for the night I get the fault code Low Voltage:Start and run coach. I never try putting out the slide without either plugged into shore power or the generator running. Should I be concerned?
Bethey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

On your 8 week trip, were you always plugged in to shore power or sometimes using the batteries? If you were plugged in I am surprised you got the low battery alert.

One comment, when you start the generator to open the slide, you must wait about 30 seconds for the transfer switch to engage to actually get power from the generator to open the slide.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #3

Mine works best after the generator has run for a bit. On shore power I get the low voltage light at times. I think the converter does not put out quite enough voltage to make the slide happy. When I get the light I stop for a few seconds and run it some more. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 times of starting and stopping to get the slide in or out. This procedure works fine for me. I’ve never had an issue using this method. It also does better in warm weather. As long as you don’t keep running it with the red light on you won’t have a problem.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Mine works best after the generator has run for a bit. On shore power I get the low voltage light at times. I think the converter does not put out quite enough voltage to make the slide happy. When I get the light I stop for a few seconds and run it some more. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 times of starting and stopping to get the slide in or out. This procedure works fine for me. I’ve never had an issue using this method. It also does better in warm weather. As long as you don’t keep running it with the red light on you won’t have a problem.
I don't have a Sprinter chassis I have the Ford on a 31DS. I have found that the alternator on the vehicle does a much job of providing the power needed for the slide to operate without a fault or red light. I am sure the Mercedes has a very high output alternator so I would think that would work fine. I have found that even when plugged in or generator running the voltage drops enough to cause the light to come on. Sometimes when you first start the vehicle the system does not connect because the alternator is taking care of the chassis battery. I would have to wait until it would connect before I moved the slides. This was tedious so I changed out my momentary switch with a switch I could flip on while moving the slides. This has really helped the situation. The switch I installed has a bright light so I don't forget to turn it off. I believe the Ford comes with a 130 amp alternator which is much better than the 60 amp converter/charger that is installed in the coach. It just makes sense that the alternator would handle the job much better.
Hope that helps.
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnapapartsguy View Post
I don't have a Sprinter chassis I have the Ford on a 31DS. I have found that the alternator on the vehicle does a much job of providing the power needed for the slide to operate without a fault or red light. I am sure the Mercedes has a very high output alternator so I would think that would work fine. I have found that even when plugged in or generator running the voltage drops enough to cause the light to come on. Sometimes when you first start the vehicle the system does not connect because the alternator is taking care of the chassis battery. I would have to wait until it would connect before I moved the slides. This was tedious so I changed out my momentary switch with a switch I could flip on while moving the slides. This has really helped the situation. The switch I installed has a bright light so I don't forget to turn it off. I believe the Ford comes with a 130 amp alternator which is much better than the 60 amp converter/charger that is installed in the coach. It just makes sense that the alternator would handle the job much better.
Hope that helps.
The Mercedes alternator does the job, but you have to wait a while for it to kick in on the house battery’s. The problem with that also is that the Isata3 on the Sprinter chassis has a lock out so you can’t move the slides with the engine running. I did re-wire mine to eliminate the lock out but I’m assuming the OP hasn’t done that. I was trying to help him because we have the same vehicles and I’ve experienced his issues.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
The Mercedes alternator does the job, but you have to wait a while for it to kick in on the house battery’s. The problem with that also is that the Isata3 on the Sprinter chassis has a lock out so you can’t move the slides with the engine running. I did re-wire mine to eliminate the lock out but I’m assuming the OP hasn’t done that. I was trying to help him because we have the same vehicles and I’ve experienced his issues.

Seems silly to have a lockout. Just make so the emergency brake must be applied like my Ford
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Seems silly to have a lockout. Just make so the emergency brake must be applied like my Ford
I agree, that’s why I eliminated mine.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Commercial Member

So did we, E-brake lock out only on new vehicles.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
So did we, E-brake lock out only on new vehicles.
Great!
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
On your 8 week trip, were you always plugged in to shore power or sometimes using the batteries? If you were plugged in I am surprised you got the low battery alert.

One comment, when you start the generator to open the slide, you must wait about 30 seconds for the transfer switch to engage to actually get power from the generator to open the slide.

Yes always. It’s scares me extending and retracting so am very aware of not using just the batteries Thank you for your quick response though
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji122]
Old 04-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

Hmm.... disabling the lockout sounds great.... can anybody explain how? (2017 Sprinter)

Hans
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Hmm.... disabling the lockout sounds great.... can anybody explain how? (2017 Sprinter)

Hans
There is a post somewhere on this forum on how to do it. It was a couple years ago
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
There is a post somewhere on this forum on how to do it. It was a couple years ago
I found it but I don’t know how to post it. I did a search for slide lock out and found it pretty easy.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 04-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #15

is it this:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-164541-2.html
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #16
Commercial Member

that's the one. Goes from engine to E-brake lock out. (at least on the Isata 3).

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, slide