Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

battery removal for winterization

I store my Isata 3 over the winter in an offsite building ; I have to remove the coach batteries in order to keep them hooked up to a pair of Battery Tenders. They are under the steps and are a bugger to remove. The cables are short and very stiff with very little play. Anyone do a mod to make the removal easier? Or is there a trick to getting them out? Winter is coming and I dread having to deal with them.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Commercial Member

"Winter is coming". I can't read that phrase now without saying it in the voice of Ned Stark. (Game of Thrones for the non nerds)

Can you just plug the coach in?

If you have power for the battery tenders...would you not have power for he coach? Use a 30A to 20A adaptor at least to keep the charger going.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Properly charged batteries when disconnected will last many months without the need for a tender and will not freeze. Charge 'em up, unhook and leave them right where they are.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

[QUOTE=bclemens;1609554]"Winter is coming". I can't read that phrase now without saying it in the voice of Ned Stark. (Game of Thrones for the non nerds)

Can you just plug the coach in?

If you have power for the battery tenders...would you not have power for he coach? Use a 30A to 20A adaptor at least to keep the charger going.[/QUOTE]

I read the battery tender is located at the off site location, not where the unit is stored. That's why the removal of the batteries. No power there.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Properly charged batteries when disconnected will last many months without the need for a tender and will not freeze. Charge 'em up, unhook and leave them right where they are.
Done this on our farm equipment for decades never had a battery fail that wasn't already on it's last leg. Check battery voltage once or twice during the winter just to make sure.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

Thanks for all the prompt responses. I store our Isata in a secure building (actually, an animal barn at our state fair ground; and no, it doesn't smell like , well, what you might think it would smell like. I can't easily access it while in secure storage, so checking on the batteries would not be possible.)
In the spring, the cab battery was able to start it up right away. My understanding is that great care has to be taken to avoid having the house batteries discharge while in storage; appears that there is some disagreement regarding that. I may check the electrical forum for more information regarding this.
If I don't have to remove them, that would make the winterization process a lot easier. If I do, I may disconnect the cables from the MH instead of from the batteries. I will take a ton of photos so that I have a guide to use when re-connecting them. I actually pulled apart one of the connectors to the MH last year; those cables are so short and thick that they are barely flexible.
I knew someone would pick up the Game of Thrones reference regarding winter coming. And in Minnesota, that can be a depressing thought.
Off to camp for a few days with our camping buddies; and again this weekend while we attend a music festival, and then at the end of the month when my wife and I celebrate our anniversary. Gotta log some RV hours in before the big chill.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

It would be easiest to just remove the ground cable.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Bingo...once you have topped up the water and charged to 100% then do what Kenny says and disconnect the neg wire. You are good to -90 degrees...but self discharge will lower that each month. You should be good to -40 or so for 4 months or more in cold weather. If you do get a.chance to.check voltage...you are good to -20 or so if you read 12.3 or more. Do this only with good batts...not one you are gonna replace soon. X2 to KennyK
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Love my Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
It would be easiest to just remove the ground cable.
Right - if good batteries are charged fully and ground unhooked , they should lose no more than 3% per month
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

I am also in Minnesota and dreading winter. The last 2 years I had been removing my house batteries and keeping them in my garage while monitoring their charge levels. They stayed fairly charged all winter. This year I installed a battery disconnect switch on the battery ground wire which just requires a quick turn to disconnect the negative cable and plan to leave the batteries in the motorhome all winter without being plugged in.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Be careful with those...I wanted to look at them as well and was told they are not rated high enough, amperage wise. Although now I can't find the email why.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

If the storage facility will allow it, you can just put a 30 watt solar panel outside and run wiring to the batteries.

I recommend 30 watts because of lower efficiency due to low temps and short days. The output would be around 2 amps for about 7 hours per day average, which is enough to keep 3 batteries at maintenance level.

Amazon lists many well-reviewed units in the $50 area.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #13

Is there anything wrong with staying plugged into shore power? Both the chassis and coach batteries will trickle charge this way, right? The batteries have to be fully connected for this, right? (Disconnects for the cab and chassis in the ON position) This will be my first winter with the Force HD. Previously this method worked fine for our Seneca.

I'm not lucky enough to have a personal garage, but I did build a pavilion and ran power out to it.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #14
Love my Rev

Staying plugged in all winter will work - I would just think overkill if all you need is to keep house battery up ( a small trickle charger would keep them fully charged at minimal cost ) and not sure if chassis battery charges from shore power either ?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #15

Chassis battery only charges from alternator, but you can add a secondary trickle charger that will watch the voltage coming into the house batteries and kick on when they're getting a charge to also charge the chassis. I used this last year and it worked great.

I went with the Xantrex version, but there are cheaper options as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
Love my Rev

better than just trickle charger

When I said trickle charger that was'nt what I meant , what I use is small but can be left on indefinitely when not in use and neg cable off ( https://www.vmaxtanks.com/BC1215A-12...iner_p_71.html ) / I have a 200 amp house bat.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

Thanks again for all the responses. I store my Isata where I don't have access to electricity and I don't have access to it while it is in storage. It is in storage a full five months. Last winter, I removed both house batteries, stored them in my basement, and used a trickle charger on each battery over the winter. Batteries were in great condition when I re-installed them. My issue was with getting the batteries out of the RV. I will just wrestle with them again, remove and plug them in, and then dream about hitting the road next year and enjoying our Isata.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
Thanks again for all the responses. I store my Isata where I don't have access to electricity and I don't have access to it while it is in storage. It is in storage a full five months. Last winter, I removed both house batteries, stored them in my basement, and used a trickle charger on each battery over the winter. Batteries were in great condition when I re-installed them. My issue was with getting the batteries out of the RV. I will just wrestle with them again, remove and plug them in, and then dream about hitting the road next year and enjoying our Isata.
Just curious...
You've received advice in several posts (including my earlier) stating that it is perfectly fine to disconnect a fully charged battery and it will stay charged for months. Wondering why you have chosen to remove them when you admit it is such a hassle?

Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #19

There does seem to be a lot of differing views on winter storage of batteries. Some say they will be find left in the RV. Others have recommended that I leave them in the RV with a charger, an option I don't have.

Here is an excerpt from a web site: Winter Storage
A charged battery will not freeze but a partially discharged battery can. If you have a way to keep your battery charged during winter storage, you can safely leave it in your RV. You can use solar panels or a float charger to do this. If you cannot keep the battery charged while in storage, take it out of the RV and take it home with you. Store it in a safe location where you can keep a float charger attached to it. Doing this simple step will ensure long life for your battery.

Here is the web site in question: RV 12v Information - Everything You Need to Know

I am truly a novice regarding this subject, and many others related to motorhomes. My efforts with removing them may well be a waste of time, but if there is a chance I can delay replacement costs, I have decided to remove them. I may try to contact the battery manufacturer for their official response.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
There does seem to be a lot of differing views on winter storage of batteries. Some say they will be find left in the RV. Others have recommended that I leave them in the RV with a charger, an option I don't have.

Here is an excerpt from a web site: Winter Storage
A charged battery will not freeze but a partially discharged battery can. If you have a way to keep your battery charged during winter storage, you can safely leave it in your RV. You can use solar panels or a float charger to do this. If you cannot keep the battery charged while in storage, take it out of the RV and take it home with you. Store it in a safe location where you can keep a float charger attached to it. Doing this simple step will ensure long life for your battery.

Here is the web site in question: RV 12v Information - Everything You Need to Know

I am truly a novice regarding this subject, and many others related to motorhomes. My efforts with removing them may well be a waste of time, but if there is a chance I can delay replacement costs, I have decided to remove them. I may try to contact the battery manufacturer for their official response.
Fair enough.

Everyone has an opinion. I am going from my own experiences over 40 years... a good fully charged battery (disconnected) will go 5-6 months without being 'maintained', with no harm. And the old wives tales about not setting them on a cement floor are just that, wives tales.

Hopefully soon I won't need to worry about winterizing and months without camping!

Enjoy!

Tags
battery, winter