Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

BIRD problem

It appears that on my BIRD there is a purple wire which is connected to the solenoid. This wire tells the solenoid to connect both sides. When the converter is charging the purple wire should be hot. When the engine is started the purple wire should be hot.

However on mine the purple wire is always hot which keeps the solenoid energized all the time. In fact when I metered both sides of the solenoid the voltages were different. This should not happen on an energized solenoid.

This purple wire was hot with engine off, generator off and coach unplugged.

So I disconnected the purple wire and heard the solenoid clunk several times as I attached and reattached the purple wire. Now the voltages are the same on both terminal when the solenoid is energized.

Just trying to figure out if I have a BIRD going out or solenoid.

Maybe a good time to switch to the BIM.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #2

This may help.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...li-200367.html

It is a previous thread regarding the BIRD. within that are pdf's from BC on how it is supposed to work.

You might have a solenoid that is exhibiting burned contacts.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
This may help.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...li-200367.html

It is a previous thread regarding the BIRD. within that are pdf's from BC on how it is supposed to work.

You might have a solenoid that is exhibiting burned contacts.
YES burned contacts would explain why the solenoid is energized but different readings on each side. Once I cycled the solenoid several times it started working. Probably knocked off some corrosion. And maybe since the solenoid was energized 24/7 for who knows how long, this is why it is burnt.

But why is the BIRD sending power to the solenoid all the time?
Old 11-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
YES burned contacts would explain why the solenoid is energized but different readings on each side. Once I cycled the solenoid several times it started working. Probably knocked off some corrosion. And maybe since the solenoid was energized 24/7 for who knows how long, this is why it is burnt.

But why is the BIRD sending power to the solenoid all the time?
Need more info:

On the BIRD you should have 3 LEDs. 2 green and 1 red
Looking at the BIRD a green on the left should be lit and a red flashing periodically.
If the green led under the red is on then the BIRD is sending power to the solenoid.

The flashing red status is:

Name:   bird status.png
Views: 388
Size:  12.3 KB

more things to look at:
check you generator autostart controller. There should be a red led lit up on it. This is the battery voltage sense line which also connects to the BIRD.
Buried in the rats nest of cables on the bottom of the electrical bay is an inline fuse. You need to verify this is good. If I remember correctly it is a 5 amp fuse.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

The BIRD is sending a signal to the solenoid even though shore power is disconnected, generator is off and the engine is off. I need to check the aux start feature. I guess it could be sending a signal. It is a momentary switch but I guess it could be bad.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
The BIRD is sending a signal to the solenoid even though shore power is disconnected, generator is off and the engine is off. I need to check the aux start feature. I guess it could be sending a signal. It is a momentary switch but I guess it could be bad.
The auto start controller for the generator is located in the electrical bay.
The switch in the interior tower is just a remote manual/ auto switch.

You need to check on the controller in the electrical bay.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #7

I don't have auto start on the generator.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

can you post a picture of your electrical bay interior?

my 2018 model was built in 2017. I don't know all of the differences
Old 11-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #9

Here is a picture of my elec. bay

Click image for larger version

Name:	elec comp fuses and relays 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	242479

Lower right corner is fuse that you need to check.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

So it would appear that currently the BIRD is functioning as it should. However the Aux Start Switch is not working. There is only one lead on the solenoid purple.

I've seen other diagrams with two wires on the solenoid, one from the BIRD and one from the Aux Start dash switch.

The dash switch is a momentary switch. I would have thought that one hot wire came into this switch and one wire to the solenoid out. Momentarily press the switch, the solenoid gets energized as long as the switch is depressed.

However there are numerous wires going to the back of this switch.

I did find some unconnected wires in the electrical bay. Not sure if the wire I'm looking for is in this bunch or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	242524   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLENOID.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	242525   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUX BAT SWITCH.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	242526   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXTRA.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	242527  
Old 11-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #11

So I found a wiring diagram for the aux start switch. It has a light green wire labeled as emergency start switch. So shouldn't this light green wire travel to the solenoid?
Old 11-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #12

I think I'm now the only one following this thread. Oh well maybe it will help someone in the future.

Anyone I took out the Emergency Start Switch for a look. The yellow wire is hot. It comes from the radio which is hooked to the chassis batteries. When the button is pushed it sends power to the light green. I have seen pictures of this colored wire on the solenoid along with the purple.

Somehow mine never made it to the solenoid. I did chase the light green across the dash towards the passenger side. Up the A pillar and it appears it crosses to the other side in the headliner. I'll have to do some more searching to find where it ends.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #13

Still following

Agree that, based on the carling 'on/off' momentary switch diagram, the light green wire is the 'output' and it should be connected to the solenoid. That's the only way the 'jump start' button's going to work.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Still following

Agree that, based on the carling 'on/off' momentary switch diagram, the light green wire is the 'output' and it should be connected to the solenoid. That's the only way the 'jump start' button's going to work.

That's what I thought however. I used my tone generator and followed the green wire from the emergency start switch all the way to the electrical bay. The green wire terminates at the BIRD on the GEN terminal. I called the makers of the BIRD and it appears that it is wired correctly.

I'm guessing that the BIRD reads house batteries and chassis batteries and even though you might be pressing the switch, if it doesn't see a certain voltage it won't close the solenoid. So if it does see a low voltage on one set I'm guessing it will activate the solenoid through the purple wire.

Silly me I thought GEN was a lead from the generator.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #15

I know this is a Johnny come lately but You said "This purple wire was hot with engine off, generator off and coach unplugged." I think I would have removed the wires, one at a time from the B.I.R.D to check if there was an input from one of those sources to the bird. This is a link to an earlier version of the B.I.R.D that shows the direct link between the emergency start switch and the solenoid.

https://www.intellitec.com/wp-conten...-00362-100.pdf
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
I think I'm now the only one following this thread. Oh well maybe it will help someone in the future.

Anyone I took out the Emergency Start Switch for a look. The yellow wire is hot. It comes from the radio which is hooked to the chassis batteries. When the button is pushed it sends power to the light green. I have seen pictures of this colored wire on the solenoid along with the purple.

Somehow mine never made it to the solenoid. I did chase the light green across the dash towards the passenger side. Up the A pillar and it appears it crosses to the other side in the headliner. I'll have to do some more searching to find where it ends.

I am also following out of curiosity. [emoji846]

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #17
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

You may have sticky contacts. I would replace the solenoid.