Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 10:43 PM   #1

Blue DX3 toad fire on I95?

Just saw an episode of You, Me, and the RV where they stopped to help a Dynamax owner who had the toad start on fire due to a tire?

Was that anyone on this forum?

They reported everyone was okay because they were able to get the toad disconnected before the fire grew too fast.

I would imagine there are lots of lessons learned in that situation.

Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #2

That is the reason I installed a TMPS system on my Jeep. On one of my first short trips towing I found a nail along the road that pierced a tire on the Jeep. I had no clue. When I unhooked to drive the Jeep the TPMS system on the Jeep alerted me to 20#’s of air in a rear tire. Of course the Jeep TPMS does not help when towing, so I installed the aftermarket system. I’m more comfortable now that tire pressure is being monitored while I tow.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

I'm going to be getting a nice flatbed to tow whatever other vehicle we want to come with us at the time. Will definitely add the TPMS sensors on the flatbed to keep an eye on them.

Hopefully they had full coverage on their Jeep and all fairs out well for them.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #4

Yep, I added TPMS on the coach and our Jeep even though we already have TPMS on the Jeep from the factory. Need to keep an eye on it when towing. Works great.

Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #5

Towing tip

A very important tip to remember while towing.
If you have a tire catch on fire, do NOT stop or pull over. Doing so increases the possibility/probability that the entire vehicle will be destroyed.
If you keep traveling at a good clip, once the tire (or grease) burn out you can then safely come to a stop and evaluate the situation.
PS it’s difficult to make yourself do this but it’s better than having your rig burn to the ground.
Huntnfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnfishn View Post
A very important tip to remember while towing.
If you have a tire catch on fire, do NOT stop or pull over. Doing so increases the possibility/probability that the entire vehicle will be destroyed.
If you keep traveling at a good clip, once the tire (or grease) burn out you can then safely come to a stop and evaluate the situation.

I've read all kinds of tips and advice on this forum over the years. This has got to be the worst tip/advice I've ever read... anywhere.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #7

Well, everybody has one and you are welcome to share yours no matter how flawed or incorrect that it may be.
If you stop while tire is flaming, you can be fairly confident that your rig will burn completely. So, if that’s your goal, continue on.
Good luck.
Huntnfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #8

I can see it now... As the police officer (or other motorists) signal you to pull over because your on fire, you yell out the window that I can't pull over right now because I read on the Internet that I must keep on driving (at a good clip) until the fire goes out. And you just keep on driving down the road....

Go ahead and do that, sounds like a great idea!
Old 08-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #9

I'm still old school. My dad taught me to put my hand on the tires to check for heat and use a tire knocker. Which they sell at truck stops. So I still do that every stop. I did add the crossfire valve stem system to the rear tires.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a tpms system just think they are way over priced.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I'm still old school. My dad taught me to put my hand on the tires to check for heat and use a tire knocker. Which they sell at truck stops. So I still do that every stop. I did add the crossfire valve stem system to the rear tires.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a tpms system just think they are way over priced.
I bought a digital infrared temperature reader for the specific purpose to check the temperature of my tow dolly's wheel bearings and tow vehicle tires. Works great, very reasonably priced.
Jimswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #11

I carry 2 large fire extinguishes with me - one in the bedroom and one in the storage compartment behind the drivers door. I would sure hope I could put out a burning tire with them.
LSLBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

Always carry 2 extinguishers! Make one accessible to the public from outside.

Once we finally realize the completed version of this tpms system you will not have to add any sensors or repeaters. It uses the existing sensors in your wheels.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3, toad