Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #1

"Borg Dually Valve System" or "Crossfire"?

I would like to hear pros and cons of using either system on my 30FW with dually wheels. I have to do something since it's a pain for me or my wife to check and fill tire pressure.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...printer-trucks

Crossfire Components
Old 02-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Since you do not have TPMS sensors on your stems, you could use the Haltec screw on extensions like I did. They are unique as they don’t have pressure in the stem except when you press the valve to check the pressure or air up the tire. There is a metal rod down the center that activates the actual valve stem when depressed.

They screw on, but you need to remove the outside tire to install (unless you have extremely small hands). The benefit is the inside tire doesn’t need to be removed and broken down to replace the stem. The 5 11/16 length is perfect.

https://www.zoro.com/haltec-flexible...xoCaOcQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C96B532D-87A2-4DFC-AE0A-216CFE478E64.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	248311  
Old 02-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

I have the Crossfire system on my duals. I love them. Quick look and you know if there is an issue or not with pressure. Single point fill of either tire is a great benefit.

I use TPMS that monitors both of the duals individually through the Crossfire system. I believe well worth the money.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #4

That's an interesting concept and minimizes connection leaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Since you do not have TPMS sensors on your stems, you could use the Haltec screw on extensions like I did. They are unique as they don’t have pressure in the stem except when you press the valve to check the pressure or air up the tire. There is a metal rod down the center that activates the actual valve stem when depressed.

They screw on, but you need to remove the outside tire to install (unless you have extremely small hands). The benefit is the inside tire doesn’t need to be removed and broken down to replace the stem. The 5 11/16 length is perfect.

https://www.zoro.com/haltec-flexible...xoCaOcQAvD_BwE
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

I also used the Crossfire and it is great. When I went to pickup my new Isata 5 at the dealer I noticed the tire pressure was 10psi below what the door jamb details specified. When I told the service shop, they came back stating they had to find someone in the shop with small enough hands to get between the duallys, not to mention crawling underneath, in order to fill the inner wheels. That was enough for me as I had ZERO interest in doing that to check the tire pressure.
A short bit of research on this forum led me to Crossfire and I am glad it did. I actually installed it myself, although you definitely need to be a DYIer for the project. I can't imagine the install would be much for a good shop. Once done, you fill inner and outer wheels from one spot. And the the system keep both inner and out tire pressure exactly balanced. And there is a check valve that keeps both tires from failing if one gets a major leak. That, along with TPMS monitors on each wheel, and an indicator in the driver compartment, and you can monitor not only each of the six tire pressures, but their temperatures. I wouldn't have duallies without both. In fact I have a new Force on order and already have the Crossfires ready. So, in summary, Crossfires with a good TPMS on each wheel, and you are way ahead of the game for road safety. BTW my Isata 5 came with a nice TPMS. Sorry I don't remember the make, but support was quick and efficient.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

Another way to deal with a fundamentally defective product

[QUOTE=toshu;2505485]I would like to hear pros and cons of using either system on my 30FW with dually wheels. I have to do something since it's a pain for me or my wife to check and fill tire pressure.

#1: have you checked Cateye? That is what Fury wears. Designed by man who invented Crossfire & sold co. Said to correct weaknesses of Crossfire.
#2: Wolf recommends covering stainless steel woven lines with plastic cable wraps to protect your highly polished aluminum wheels, if you have highly polished aluminum wheels.
#3: RVing with heavy equipment is technical & often requires incurring expenses or the duty to perform chores. If these become burdensome, folks quit the hobby.
#4: It is the pneumatic tire that is the root of the problem. Filled with pressurised air that leaks out & leads to tire failure.
Every device like these, TPMS, spare tires, sealers, road service policies, etc. all are trying to somehow deal with the shortcomings of the pneumatic tire.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Wolf Alaska;2507250]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
I would like to hear pros and cons of using either system on my 30FW with dually wheels. I have to do something since it's a pain for me or my wife to check and fill tire pressure.

#1: have you checked Cateye? That is what Fury wears. Designed by man who invented Crossfire & sold co. Said to correct weaknesses of Crossfire.
How is it different and better than the Crossfire system.
#2: Wolf recommends covering stainless steel woven lines with plastic cable wraps to protect your highly polished aluminum wheels, if you have highly polished aluminum wheels.
#3: RVing with heavy equipment is technical & often requires incurring expenses or the duty to perform chores. If these become burdensome, folks quit the hobby.
Over the last 11 years I have broken my right leg, shattered my right ankle, broken my left arm, shattered my right knew, broken 3 ribs and broke my back, at different times..... I could stay home and sit on the couch but I chose to buy my rig and venture out instead. The more things that I can do to make my life easier, the better.
#4: It is the pneumatic tire that is the root of the problem. Filled with pressurised air that leaks out & leads to tire failure.
Every device like these, TPMS, spare tires, sealers, road service policies, etc. all are trying to somehow deal with the shortcomings of the pneumatic tire.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #8

I got my crossfires from Donley Enterprises (Ed Donley). I spoke to the manufacturer when I was doing my research and they recommended Ed.
800-774-1944 or Ed’s cell which he doesn’t mind at all, 817-905-6969.
He was very helpful. Yes, I installed the webbing infused tubing over the Crossfire hoses, per Ed. I got the tubing, and recommended antiseize on Amazon. You have to leave the plastic wheel covers off after install of the Crossfire. One creative gent on this forum actually modified his wheel covers. I thought they look fine without wheel covers and didn’t want to go to the trouble. If you search this forum for “Crossfire” you will probably find that original post which was very helpful.. I got the 90psi version, even though the recommended TP on my Isata-5 was 95. Just leaves a little wiggle room.
If you don’t know yet Crossfires are manufactured by Dual Dynamics. Here’s their website. Home - Dual Dynamics
They have some decent how-to and informational videos.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #9

I got mine from Donley as well. No web site. They shipped them to me and then finally billed me three MONTHS later. I almost forgot what the bill was for! Great people to work with.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:37 AM   #10

Crossfires on my parents pusher and my dually

They have been problem free for years!
V6TOY4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Steve from Maine

Valve stem extenders

I struggled to find a good stem extender setup. I wanted to get a TPMS but was waiting until I got a good extender setup. Installed these today so I now have it.
AirMax by Phoenix USA.
Excuse the dirty rims.
TST 507 flow thru sensors on the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valve stem 1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	872.1 KB
ID:	257574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve stem 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	803.4 KB
ID:	257575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve stem 5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	959.7 KB
ID:	257576  
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Yamaha WR250R
jaudet71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #12

Anyone use Borg Dually valve Stems??

OP here, still interested to see if anyone has used the Borg Dually valve stem replacements?? These are not extensions so there is no chance of leaking at the coupling as long as they are installed properly, preplacing the existing stems...

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/manuf...borg-equipment
Old 07-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #13

Quote:
OP here, still interested to see if anyone has used the Borg Dually valve stem replacements?? These are not extensions so there is no chance of leaking at the coupling as long as they are installed properly, preplacing the existing stems...

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/manuf...borg-equipment

One of the companies I worked at had them on all of their MDTs. You just had to keep track of orientation when you dis mount and remount.

I went crossfires for the visual of GO/NO GO for pressure at a glance.

I do understand the reluctance because of the "connection" to the inside dual and potential leak.
V6TOY4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #14

I have crossfires and have been happy with them on two motor homes now. I purchased them from Amazon.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #15

I had crossfires on my Isata-5, and loved them. Having the duallies balanced exactly is important for wear. Filling at one spot is very convenient. I barely paid attention to the window as I relied on the TPMS for that. But I felt much better with the tire pressures always exactly balanced. I have a set of crossfires for my Force HD, just haven't had a chance to put them on yet. But monitoring the TP its supprising how much difference there can be between the same side dualies depending on road conditions, temp, etc.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #16

BTW, I covered the stainless steel braided hose with 3/4" reinforce hose, just for added protection from possible road hazard damage. Never had a problem.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:

Crossfire Components
I purchased the Borg last year. I had to have a shop install them. They have performed well.

Prior to the Borg I had extenders with the flexible mesh stem. No, problems but I didn't like the fact that each tire had an additional connection. The Borg has only the cap and no extra connections.
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #18

Beware of the Borg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7D4C442F-1140-42E2-A4E2-E106DA101B63.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	258346  
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I have the Crossfire system on my duals. I love them. Quick look and you know if there is an issue or not with pressure. Single point fill of either tire is a great benefit.

I use TPMS that monitors both of the duals individually through the Crossfire system. I believe well worth the money.

Can you tell me what TPMS you are using with the Cross Fire that monitors the duals individually. It’s time for new tires so I want to do everything at once, tires, Cross Fire and TPMS for Rv and enclosed trailer.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #20

Curious what PSI people are going with? It looks like all of these pressure balancing systems have multiple choices to choose from. I have heard on the M2s, people are running at around 90psi as 100 or higher rides really harsh.

Thanks,
Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve