Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 12:12 AM   #1

Brand and model comparison

I asking for objective comparisons between a couple of competing brands and also some specific models of those brands. Dynamax and Renegade. I'm again looking for OBJECTIVE comparisons and comments, not so much subjective ones. It's easy to say brand X is crappy(subjective) but how is it crappy(objective)? Specific please. It's easy to be snarky with platitudes and cliches such as Ford Fix or repair daily, harder to be specific WHY Brand Y is better than Brand Z.

I'm going to make this similar post on a Renegade forum for their responses. I live in SE AL and there are no dealers of either brand within several hundred miles for me to make this observations myself. Some things it takes a while to learn, some quickly. In 3 weeks I'll be in central FL and will visit a major dealer there. I've already started the process to look at these and some other plans of these brands.

I can give specific why I feel thor is substandard, from Styrofoam A/C ducting that has gaps, I looked with a borescope. Flimsy poorly supported shower. Entry level appliances such as toilet, water heater. Furniture material very thin and fragile. Front caps held on with self tapping screws that back out, are stripped and rusted. Documented by several forum members. I could go on.

I'm looking, online only so far, at the Dynamax Force 34KD, maybe DX3 in 34KD or Renegade Valencia 35MB, Verona 34VBQ or 36 VSB. I know that these are a different category than the Omni XG32 I have and also more $$$. Reasons for these models is mid 30s' length, NO full wall slide, no folding or break-a-bed and a floor plan compatible for our traveling style. Don't want an all electric coach.

I know that no builder makes the perfect RV not even a Newell or Marathon, but some manufacturers build better, have better factory QA and QC and deliver a better product to the buyer. I'm wanting to know what meaningful differences there are between the Dynamax and Renegade coaches. What and why is X better than Z?

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #2

Interesting to see responses. Renegade forum? Have not seen one, unless you mean bookface(don't have it).
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #3

This question has been asked numerous times. Do a search of the forum for keyword “Renegade” and you will find threads like this one.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...de-211660.html

I suggest you try and attend the Tampa RV show in January where you can make comparisons to all the RV manufacturers including Dynamax and Renegade. We attended the show two years in a row before buying our first Dynamax in 2017 and are now on our second Dynamax.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Norwood Auto Italia

I think you are looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Few owners have owned both so can only speak to their direct experience. I have. but my Renegade is a 2006 which in many terms might as well be another company.

Despite 200,000 miles plus and hard use as a Race Car hauler and a GCWR of 78,000# of which we use all, it has stood up well and has most of its original appliances, all of which work. I doubt any current Dynamax will look as good and perform as well when its 15 years old with that sort of mileage and constant use as a tow vehicle. Especially as the roads have deteriorated to a lesser extent over the last 15 than they will over the next 10 IMO.

There are so many elements to your question too: design, materials, quality of finish, delivery QC and appliance quality of build. All of us with recent builds have had some quality of finish and delivery QC issues but more than a Renegade...who can say? Some are upscaling and the bells and baubles are so pleasing that they have missed the issues you want to address. Others are neophytes and not used to reading owners manuals so do not understand the functionality of their coaches. And while there are some very knowledgeable and experienced owners, you are still going to get subjective answers based on their Dynamax experience so that you will have to make the credibility (and again subjective) choice.

My 2c, but I do not envy what you are trying to do. Suspect it will be frustrating. And BTW, although my model is many levels down from your choices, and I had over 25 punch list items at delivery, some of which are still hovering, I do not regret my Dynamax purchase at all in the context of the items you cite as well as my own prepurchase analysis.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

I know that no builder makes the perfect RV not even a Newell or Marathon, but some manufacturers build better, have better factory QA and QC and deliver a better product to the buyer. I'm wanting to know what meaningful differences there are between the Dynamax and Renegade coaches. What and why is X better than Z?[/QUOTE]

My 2c worth. As you are comparing the Dynamax and the Renegade coaches, and moved the Omni and the Thor products off that list, it simply comes down to where you get the best service support. Trust me you will need it, since you know that "no builder makes the perfect RV". Our decision was based on those criteria and we are happy we made that decision based on the after-sale support from the dealer, their service department and the Dynamax factory support.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #6

We were also down to just Dynamax or Renegade. Big factors we used were as stated, support of product, kitchen layout, and rear-window. If you like the floor plan of the one you're getting, I doubt you can go wrong with either. We also did the factory tour at Dynamax (after ours was on order/getting built) and it is nice to see a level of both care and pride within the manufacturing process.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
My 2c worth. As you are comparing the Dynamax and the Renegade coaches, and moved the Omni and the Thor products off that list, it simply comes down to where you get the best service support. Trust me you will need it, since you know that "no builder makes the perfect RV".
Good point - my decision too. Let me add that the dealer should count for a part of that after sales support but its easy to get that part of the equation wrong. I was happy to pick up an existing MHSRV order because they had (a) the spec I wanted, (b) enough volume in the Dynamax product to presumably know the systems, get the factory's attention and (c) a Big Service capability. Only (a) proved to be correct. I was unable to purchase parts, get advice or get service from them despite repeated emails and voice mails. Not once in a total of 8 attempts did they even acknowledge my requests. I am not the only one who experienced this. However, the factory has been simply, wonderful, gone the extra mile, researched stuff for me, and given me a solution when there was none in evidence. Plus Brian has made available wiring, plumbing, and construction CAD diagrams that has made the fix-it capability relatively easy.

Also Dynamax's creds with its suppliers is the best in the business based on what I have heard from 2 of them.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #8

I have to say that Brian's participation here is remarkable, not just because he posts, but because he actually posts meaningful information, and genuinely offers assistance, versus "paid gladhanders" I have seen on other venues.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the responses. I was going to reply to specific posts but then I'd be cutting and pasting till tomorrow so I'll try and be coherent in my answers. Yes I have eliminated thor from my search. I was suspicious of thor before, bought the Omni mainly for the chassis, and "hoped" the build quality would be close to it, and have since realized my previous suspicion of thor was well founded and the house is crap. Thor is the king of bling and pauper of quality. They have a large interior design section and budget and apparently little in structural build quality. So many things that you can't see and won't know until you peel back that layer of the onion.

Yes I'm down to comparing and trying to make my best choice between the Dynamax and Renegade product and yes I realize that even though I asked for objective comments and comparisons, I will be getting subjective replies. That's fine since a lot of our opinions are subjective anyway.

I don't have a local dealer so I can't "buy locally" anyway. Closest dealer for either is a few hundred miles. I have read repeatedly that MHSRV is zero for after the sale help but I found their attitude before the sale to less than helpful. I bought the Omni at a CW, not locally, and the local one is trying with warranty work but everything is slow getting done. Partly supply chain, partly lack of knowledge, partly thor is overwhelmed with repairs to crappy RVs.

I live in the sticks in a rural county in a low population density state. South east Alabama and since I have no selling dealers around I'll have a conversation with the factory customer service reps before I decide and purchase on how I am going to handle warranty repairs. Will they let me document an issue and have them send me the part to replace, or who will they authorize to make the repair. I can do most repairs myself but some, slide mechanism where the slide has to come out, is more than I want to tackle. I do have a Freightliner and Cummins service center nearby for chassis work.

Renegade forum is a sub forum on IRV2, owner's forums.

I thought about the Tamp show and may go. We went 4 -5 years ago and it was a zoo. When we went we were not looking for anything in particular and we found just that, nothing in particular. I was also hot, traffic horrible. She said no way Hosea to my question a few days ago. In 2 weeks we'll be near Orlando and I've had phone conversation with a Lazydays internet rep about these models. Plan is to go down a couple days early and "shop". I've also had email communication with a MI dealer who has given me good info on the Force and DX3. More to follow I hope there.

Lunch time and back to work on a repair to my new omni.

EDIT adding, yes I feel the BC and his participation on this forum and to owners is a great resource and one that I hope continues.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #10

We have a 2018 DX3, my racing buddy has a 2019 Renegade Verona. We drive to all the same racetracks, pull the same size/weight trailers and we usually end up parking next to each other. His has blue accents and mine is sunset/orange. Most people see them and can't tell them apart besides the colors.

We were living overseas, about to return home, when we decided to buy a Super C. My wife negotiated the best deal online with Lazy Days for a Dynamax DX3 and it was delivered 4 months later at their dealer in Longmont which is about 80 miles north of us.

Their are minor differences in floorplan between his and mine but interior fit and finish are very similar. He had his share of initial issues and he took his back to his dealer to get those items repaired, which took forever. I had some issues too (mostly poor dealer checkout) but I fixed them myself due to the distance to drive back to the dealer and my luck with getting good dealer service done right is not good anyways.

What has been the biggest factor to strengthen my loyalty to Dynamax is their factory support. Brian has always been very helpful and he will get other factory experts on here if needed to help folks solve problems. This forum itself has been invaluable as many owners find solutions to common problems and they get shared here. I've always had good luck getting parts from them too.

I think the only important difference between the two rigs is the DX3 wheelbase is slightly longer than the Verona. So the Verona probably turns a tighter circle but the slightly longer DX3 wheelbase is a little better for trailer towing since my 28' trailer's wheels track exactly inline with the rig, which makes negotiating tights turns with the trailer a little easier.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #11

However you have to do it, go look at and drive each manufacturer and models you are interested in. There are large differences in both Dynamax and Renegade lineups. The chassis/cab/engine is one thing. Floor plans, layout, and the rest of the build is something else. So much of this is personal preference, and budget. Ask lots of questions. Take your time. Pretty basic stuff. You are off to a good start on the forums. Although like a said, many people are pretty dedicated. It's like a Chevy / Ford thing.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:23 AM   #12
Norwood Auto Italia

Let me add one thing to this thread: Last February, when the Arctic Blast hit Texas, my Renegade was not ready for it. In fact it was prepped for a trip to FL and outside as the freeze warning was released. Nothing whatsoever was damaged.

Maybe we were lucky but protective construction went a log way towards this non event.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

Lunch time and back to work on a repair to my new omni.

EDIT adding, yes I feel the BC and his participation on this forum and to owners is a great resource and one that I hope continues.
Not to make this a Thor related post. However, at a resent camp spot we met a gentleman with a brand-new Omni next to us, and he stopped by wanting to see our Isata 5 30FW since he's never seen one in person. He told us about his Omni experience and wow what a disappointment to real world engineering. The comparison between the Omni and our RV is just night and day.

As to the forum, with all the constructive participation of all the members and yes Brian the General manager is by far the most important item for us to understand the RV, to minimize operator error and to help fix minor issues along the way.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #14

Just adding my 2 cents.....

I also live a long way from any dealer, 3 hours one way.
Both Renegade and Dynamax are a compilation of other manufactuer's parts.
The shell of the motorhome is the only "original" part of the build.

That being said,
I have had my rig 2018 Dynamax DX3 37TS in -2 degree weather. Then you can ADD a 20 knot wind chill. Was it comfortable NO was able to maintain the interior around 63. It was livable. 2 weeks in this environment.

Since I live a long distance to service, I have performed all of the corrections, break repair, warranty work myself. Parts have never been an issue with Dynamax support. Document, call, and part shows up. You can't ask for better after sales support.

For chassis/engine work I use the "local" (1.5 hours away) Freightliner and Cummins dealer. Have never had an issue with service there since it is a Super C and very similar to a standard M2 box van.

I have not owned a Renegade so cannot directly compare with Dynamax.
I can say that the support from Dynamax with the GM active in the forum, his service manager also active in the forum and regional reps that you cannot ask for better support. Answers are freely shared with the owners.

IMO this alone is worth the Dynamax brand.

Ken
Old 12-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Just adding my 2 cents.....

I have not owned a Renegade so cannot directly compare with Dynamax.

I can say that the support from Dynamax with the GM active in the forum, his service manager also active in the forum and regional reps that you cannot ask for better support. Answers are freely shared with the owners.

IMO this alone is worth the Dynamax brand.

Ken

^X2^
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote