Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Brand new Isata 4- External LPK for BBQ almost killed us!

I have a new Isata 4 25FW, 5 weeks old. We've done 3-4 short shake out trips local. This Mom weekend did 500 miles round trip, on the way back onnthe freeway, two cars past us flagging us, first was some crazy kid the second an adult. We pulled over and looked around. Didn't see anything obvious. Walked around again and looked under the rig, the LPG external supply line for a BBQ had been dragging on the ground on the freeway! On inspection I saw 2 plastic clips to guide the supple line, but nothing to mount the connector to. no mount what so ever! Lucky i found these stainless steel zip ties at Harbor Freigh and secured it.

WHAT is really scary, this was a live LPG line for the BBQ unsecured! When ever it broke loss it was dragging on the Freeway! It has a connector and valve, both were well worn down! If I hadn't got flagged down by a passerby that I had a gas connector hanginging downing and sparking off the pavement, I Would not be here right now! I had the LPG on for the fridge rig.

So Clemens. Whats the deal? 2 plastic clips for the supply line and just let the connector hang down! No mount! You guys almost killed us!

I thought you guys were about safety, thats why bought a second one! WTF!
tvlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I'll have to look into it. I just checked a few online and they are secured about every 8-10". I'm not sure what code is, but that seems about right.

My apologies for the alarm. I often talk about the spirit of the law and the letter of the law around here. While it may follow the letter of the law (I'll find that out) it may not fully comply with the spirit of the law. There are some places we try and go above and beyond because it just makes sense. As with any mistake, damage, or failure I try not to just assume cause and effect but try and get to the bottom of things.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I looked at (4) units out in "ship row" meaning they are inspected and ready to ship. All of them looked like this...

I will be self reporting this to our office of corporate compliance to investigate. It could be a "one off" could have been damage, we don't know, but we'll find out. They'll determine best course of action.

In the meantime, just to be safe I would suggest anyone check their mounting of the LP line and make sure it is fastened to a framing member with screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Units ready to ship.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	172069  

Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

This valve & quick connect should not be mounted so low. It is an accident waiting to happen. All it takes is a steep or uneven fuel station entry, chuck hole, or whatever to knock it off. I raised mine but realistically, it should be in front of the rear wheels. I noticed on other manufacturer coaches, this valve is inside the propane tank compartment. I raise mine up a few inches but I am still not comfortable. I may look into possibly mounting it inside the rear bumper. It's on the list of improvements & fixes.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I actually disagree with mounting it in front of the rear wheels. Most people have a short LP line, which makes it difficult to put the grill anywhere other than under the awning. If there is a flare up or smoke its a bad thing. My preference is for the grill to sit just out side the awning...so if there is rain, you can always stand under and still grill.

On the FW, it is mounted horizontal above the bottom of the wall and there is an access door, same for the 5 series. The RW is one that was in a weird spot, but I asked to have that changed this morning. Picture is where the 4 series is mounted. I have asked that to be changed as well so that it is more easily inspected. I personally walked every single unit that was offline and 100% of them were screwed to a framing member.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 series location.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	172074  

Old 05-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

Having the quick connect inside in front of the rear wheels does not limit the users from extending the BBQ to a location that is not under the awning. In either case, a propane quick connect hose needs to be added between grille & coach. These come in all sorts of lengths. If the quick connect was more centered on the coach, it provides more options for locating the grille. On an RW, it would make more sense to have the grille near the front of the coach, away from bedroom windows and where there is no awning and not in the path of campsite traffic.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Commercial Member

No, it doesn't. But it means a longer LP line, and up front it has the potential for the LP line to be laying across the entry door area or cab door area.

I've been camping with it there for years and every campsite will vary on traffic.

This is one I would have to chalk up to personal preference and there is no way to please everyone. With the logic of any size hose, then of course there is no limit where you can place it.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

You're right, it is personal preference & also depends on the layout of the campsite. I bet most folks have a hose no less than 12ft to allow for flexibility. Without going out there to take another look at the underneath of the coach, I would propose locating the quick connect on an RW in between the coach door & cab passenger door, behind the passenger step. It's even a shorter run from the propane tank which is on the driver side behind the driver's door. I guess it could go whichever way the wind blows.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I actually disagree with mounting it in front of the rear wheels. Most people have a short LP line, which makes it difficult to put the grill anywhere other than under the awning. If there is a flare up or smoke its a bad thing. My preference is for the grill to sit just out side the awning...so if there is rain, you can always stand under and still grill.
<<snip>>
This may make sense, but for the record, all the FR/RW HW PUPS that come with the grill accessory have a gas connector and mount for the grill UNDER THE AWNING. No warnings about not grilling when the awning is extended. In general, this is the same grill that's offered for bumper mount on other FR/RW products.

The appropriate "fix" for the motorhome? Run the propane line up INSIDE the RV's rear wall. Access the line via a "pull-out" extension hose behind an openable weather cover in similar fashion to my PUP's installation. Have enough hose to connect to either the valve on the grill or an extension hose from that valve.

The photos of this factory installation reflect incredibly poor design and negligence. The gas line, whether soft copper or rubber, should be secured, and any accessible quick-connect fitting should be stowed INSIDE the camper when going down the road. You figured it out for the PUP - though you'd have me grill under my bag awning - what's the problem doing something similar on a motorhome?
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Not grilling under the awning is not a code issue, it is just my personal preference...which largely steers what we build here. I have no connection to the PUP division as all of our divisions run independently so I can't speak for why they do what they do. But we're always looking at new options or possibilities.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #11

" thought you guys were about safety"... HAH! The safety they are concerned about is their legal pocketbooks and making sure the RVIA remains a powerful enough arm to write their own flimsy rules so that the DOT, NTSB and other government stays out of their business... which is a farce as far as real regulation, quality control and being accountable.
It is so surprising from unit to unit on the same brand, model and year how different something can be. Maybe the reason the lack of actual schematics, diagrams and instructions in owners manuals.
I went to a dealer to look at two units to compare to mine for something and all three were installed differently. Grrrr
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
Commercial Member

We actually have to comply with DOT, we report and are accountable to NHTSA... So I'm not sure who "They" are.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #13

FWIW....I am pretty sure catastrophe would have been avoided. My back log of memory says the safety valve in the LP tank would had stopped the flow of gas. PIB? Yes, but maybe not a catastrophe.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #14

Well then you drive it on the freeway with the connector dragging and sparking and let me know how it works out!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #15

I like mine right where it is. I don’t see any safety issues with it. The mount is solid as well. Sounds like a one off problem.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlarry View Post
Well then you drive it on the freeway with the connector dragging and sparking and let me know how it works out!
Isn't the fitting made of brass? So it can't spark? I don't think a flint and a brass rod would make a good fire starter?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #17

Wow! What a stupid remark! The point is, its a brand new rig, bad design, poorly executed, endangering lives.!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlarry View Post
Wow! What a stupid remark! The point is, its a brand new rig, bad design, poorly executed, endangering lives.!
OK- I know it usually is counter productive to tell someone who's angry to calm down but here I go.

You won't last long here nor will you get much help when you call folks "stupid".

Bclemens is here on his own and has helped MANY owners with issues of all kinds. He is the EXCEPTION to the norm. You will have to look long and hard across all RV brands not to mention Auto, appliance and just about any thing else to find a factory rep willing to "duke it out" on the open forum.

Your LP hose fell off. That's scary.
It's NOT normal. We're glad you're OK.
Fussing and fuming here- especially at the very person who is trying to help you isn't a great plan....

We hope you get it fixed and back on the road to enjoy this camping season!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
OK- I know it usually is counter productive to tell someone who's angry to calm down but here I go.

You won't last long here nor will you get much help when you call folks "stupid".

Bclemens is here on his own and has helped MANY owners with issues of all kinds. He is the EXCEPTION to the norm. You will have to look long and hard across all RV brands not to mention Auto, appliance and just about any thing else to find a factory rep willing to "duke it out" on the open forum.

Your LP hose fell off. That's scary.
It's NOT normal. We're glad you're OK.
Fussing and fuming here- especially at the very person who is trying to help you isn't a great plan....

We hope you get it fixed and back on the road to enjoy this camping season!

X2 !

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #20

Brand new Isata 4- External LPK for BBQ almost killed us!

First, I agree with all having the GM here is incredibly helpful and reassuring. My 2018 4 series has had some issues but he and the company have been incredibly responsive.
Looked under mine and while my disconnect is in a different location it is securely attached.
[ATTACH]172283[ATTACH]172284
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7166.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	172283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7167.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	172284  
kentuckianjr is offline   Reply With Quote