Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
Señor Miembro

Brigade rear view camera review

I just got to try out my new rear view camera today. Its a Brigade BE-801C camera with BE-870LM 7" monitor and its better than I expected! The picture is crisp and clear and easier to see than the Kenwood head unit screen. It has a built in microphone so you can clearly hear people guiding you back as well as it is heated for winter use and has low light or infrared for night use.
It was really hard to retrofit the cable though. 3 people tried to run down it down the back wall but couldn't. We ended up running it along the roof and into the sloped part of the roof at the cab over.
With cable it retails for about $900. It's a bit steep compared to most but it's a professional industrial grade setup. I'm glad I sprang for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new camera 4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	252948   Click image for larger version

Name:	new camera 3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	252949   Click image for larger version

Name:	new camera 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	252950   Click image for larger version

Name:	new camera 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	252951  
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
I just got to try out my new rear view camera today. Its a Brigade BE-801C camera with BE-870LM 7" monitor and its better than I expected! The picture is crisp and clear and easier to see than the Kenwood head unit screen. It has a built in microphone so you can clearly hear people guiding you back as well as it is heated for winter use and has low light or infrared for night use.
It was really hard to retrofit the cable though. 3 people tried to run down it down the back wall but couldn't. We ended up running it along the roof and into the sloped part of the roof at the cab over.
With cable it retails for about $900. It's a bit steep compared to most but it's a professional industrial grade setup. I'm glad I sprang for it.
Very nice and thanks for posting. I have been on the look out for a better rear camera system. Where did you end up buying it from?
Old 04-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #3

Is it split screen, and work with the side cameras also?
One rear view, or two (one for toad view)?

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Señor Miembro

The local dealership recommended brigade as they had a local brigade sales guy trying to get them to take on their product line. I bought it direct from the West coast sales team guy. I could ask him who to contact in your zip code if ya want and pass that along.

I believe it will do split screen, 2 way or 3 way. I think there were 3 camera leads for the monitor as well as a "trigger" wire to switch cameras. But it would depend on the individual system you choose. Mine is a simple system but they up through advanced 360 degree systems with collision detection and DVRs, sonic sensors, backup noise makers and all that more industrial and commercial stuff.

Brigade is based out of Great Britain and is a private global company. Their USA division is growing really fast and they are getting busy. You'll probably have to wait a couple months for their install team if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #5

Wow that even looks great in the forum app. I expect it eliminates some stress. I like to know who or what is behind me.

I not sure an upgrade would solve my problem. In daylight it is fine.

After nightfall any moisture on the lens interferes with the image.

And then there are the spider webs only noticeable at night but making the camera useless.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #6

With all of the new technology available I would go with a wireless camera built by VisionWorks. They have been in the Ag and Construction markets for years and have a proven product. They have opened up their product into the RV market in the past several years. The technical data I have read shows 1000' of unobstructed signal view and 160' of obstructed view without loosing a signal. No way would I try to run a camera cable when there are tools available like this.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
Señor Miembro

Hard wired v. Wireless

I'd considered wireless but everything has it's pros and cons. Personally for me, wireless always has quality/bandwidth issues. You simply can't get the same quality of video through wireless that you can through hard wired. Well, not without spending big bucks. Also seems like my wireless devices seem to fail a lot more often. I'm going on my 4th Equalizer wireless module in under 2 years. My wireless HDMI in my coach for one of the TVs was a little laggy and just wasn't the same quality as the other hard wired ones. Also, there are the batteries to replace. I have enough maintenance items on the list without adding that one.
Now if you can't run the hardwire, then clearly, wireless would be the way to go. Also great for quick install if your in a hurry. Also probably best for the toad if you're going that route.
Our plan B was to get a wireless transmitter/Receiver set for the Brigade camera system if we couldn't figure a way to run the wires.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:06 PM   #8
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer1016 View Post
With all of the new technology available I would go with a wireless camera built by VisionWorks. They have been in the Ag and Construction markets for years and have a proven product. They have opened up their product into the RV market in the past several years. The technical data I have read shows 1000' of unobstructed signal view and 160' of obstructed view without loosing a signal. No way would I try to run a camera cable when there are tools available like this.

I agree the vision works is the best on the market. Excellent picture quality. 120 degree viewing also makes for awesome look at what is around you. I would put my vision works up against any wired unit any day.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera