RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #1

Broken bathroom mirror Isata 5 30Fw 2021

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken mirror.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	243773

This morning while enjoying a nice rainy day inside a cozy RV, we did hear a cracking noise coming from the bathroom, and here is the result. Fully level and no movement.

We don't run the heater during the night. This morning it was 43 dec inside (dogs and humans love sleeping under warm blankets) the coach before starting the heater to heat up to 68 dec. Seems like an issue with uneven expansion rates.

Question: Is that mirror clued and screwed to the door and should it be removed before going back on the road?
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

Looks like it's held on with screws. Since all the cracks are around the screws I'd say they were tightened down too tight. Unit still has warranty?
wet in washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet in washington View Post
Looks like it's held on with screws. Since all the cracks are around the screws I'd say they were tightened down too tight. Unit still has warranty?
Yes on warranty as we are still on our shakedown run. Working well so far.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
Yes on warranty as we are still on our shakedown run. Working well so far.
Add it to your punch list.
wet in washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet in washington View Post
Add it to your punch list.
That will be on the new punch-list since the original was taken care off after a 3 week stint at the dealer. I might fix this one myself once I get a new mirror. But before I do I would like to understand the cause of the failure to avoid the next one from happening.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
That will be on the new punch-list since the original was taken care off after a 3 week stint at the dealer. I might fix this one myself once I get a new mirror. But before I do I would like to understand the cause of the failure to avoid the next one from happening.
Easy enough to ascertain the cause. The mirror is mounted under stress at all four corners at the mounts. The glass has no room to expand and contract.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Clearance around screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Easy enough to ascertain the cause. The mirror is mounted under stress at all four corners at the mounts. The glass has no room to expand and contract.
Make sure the screws are thin enough that there's some space around them. Use rubber washers and don't tighten the screws beyond snug. (If you don't like the look of the rubber washers, you can put them on the back, between the mirror and cabinet.) Just get a pack of size "0" faucet washers for this project.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Motorized GM

We tried to glue but in major heat the glue failed, so we went to positive fastening.

While it "could be" that the screws are too tight, there is also another issue we have seen.

The plastic chrome caps that go over the screw have a plastic "neck" or collar. The neck is bigger than the screw shaft and protects the glass from resting on the metal screw shaft. The problem is, the plastic is too deep. It is set up for 1/2" or 1/4" depth when we really only need it for 1/8". So, we were cutting the neck down to 1/8", sometimes they cut it all off.

So, to take this burden off of our guys, we ordered in those chrome caps for 1/8" thick material...and what did we get? You guessed it, the supplier apparently does the same thing...they cut down the 1/4" neck off. We got some 1/8" depth and many with zero depth.

Apparently this is an art and not a science.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, roo