Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

Bunk or Not? It Depends...

These may be questions only Brian can answer since so few people have the 2021 Isata 3 24FW with theater seating at this point, but here goes. Whether we get the Isata 3 24FW with the cab over bunk or the version without it looks like it will depend on the recently discussed theater seating option for that model.

Background: We (2 of us) have determined that we must go with the newer Sprinter chassis as in the new Isatas, but it must have two sleeping areas since one of us (for the sake of argument, let’s say, oh…me) thrashes around, snores, and sleeps through anything, but the other is a very light sleeper. We are not interested in the dinette, nor in the 24RW model. This suggests that the cab over FW would be the choice. However, about those seats:

Does the FW only come with the 3-seat option as indicated on the brochure?
Do those 3 seats recline in the same way as the 2-seater? As comfortable?
When the 3-seater is upright, could a person sleep on it as he would a sofa? That person is the heavy sleeper who has slept easily on motorhome sofas in the past and is 5’10” tall and 185lbs. I know the tri-fold sofa is an option but we really were sold on the recliners at the Hershey show last fall.

If that 3-seater could be used as a sleeper, we could forgo the cab over bunk and save 179 lbs. We would go with the aluminum wheels and the lithium battery which reduce some weight, but the levelers and a couple other options make us interested in saving some more by going this route if doable.

Thanks much for the input.
Herons5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Well, I think I understand what you are asking...

There really is NO difference in the recliner seating regardless of floor plan. The way we used to do it, was Right Recliner, Left recliner with middle folding section, all designed for a 64" slide opening.

That creates two minor issues. 1. the fold down section means you can't lay across. 2. The slide on the 24FW is actually bigger than 64" so you end up with a cap at either end. Not a huge dealer because you can store stuff along there.

So...My thought was, why not take advantage of the ENTIRE slide width. If we replaced the "center divider" with an armless middle seat...then in theory, one could use that as a sofa in a pinch. So what you have today, is a Right Side Power Recliner, Left Side Power recliner, with a middle-armless manual recliner (at least I think I recall that it reclines). So while you loose an arm...you gain the ability to lay mostly flat across. People have also found that the recliners, all the way back are good for a nap. I am a side sleeper...so that would work in a pinch, but laying across all three would be a better fit for me, which is why I did it.

So I think the short answer to your question is yes....one could sleep across all three in an upright position. In fact, maybe I will go test that...it is a little warm on a Friday afternoon.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
Commercial Member

OK...just tested this theory. For reference, I am way over 5'10"...probably as much as 9/16" over. Currently 210...but I did a 30 minute run yesterday, so I'm sure its on its way down.

My observations:
Each seat has a natural curve to it. To "cradle the bum" lets say. So, when I lay my head on the arm rest of an outside recliner, it is super comfortable as my hip, naturally rests in the middle seat. With legs slightly bent in my natural position, I have a little room left before I hit the opposite arm rest.

I will say, I felt like the arm rest I used as a pillow was "slightly" higher than I would prefer...but with the proper pillow, maybe it would ramp me up and be fine.

IF, I moved down, and tried to lay my head short of the arm rest on the outside chair portion, I felt like my hip moved onto the seam between the opposite/center recliner (the higher spot). And while not quite as comfortable it was certainly doable.

I also confirmed that the middle seat does have a small "pull tab" tucked in the side to manually recliner.

If you really wanted to trick it out, I would get a 2-3" memory foam section cut the length and width that could roll up and store. That would likely dial it right into perfection.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #4

Fantastic research, Brian! I like your thinking on this, appreciate the quick reply, and will go with the memory foam suggestion. I will test for myself at a dealer or two in the region when they get one in and at the Hershey show if it’s not COVID-cancelled. Hope to come tour the plant, too, later this summer, if tours are up and running.

Gotta appreciate a GM willing to “lie down on the job” in service to the customer!
Herons5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

So has the theater seating changed on all models? Do you not do the 2 recliners with the storage armrest between anymore?
duneviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneviper View Post
So has the theater seating changed on all models? Do you not do the 2 recliners with the storage armrest between anymore?
Yes/No. Where we can fit (3), we now fit (3). That is only on the 24FW Isata 3 and the 34KD on an M2 chassis.

In most floor plans that have a 64" opening (All M2, other than the 34 KD which is larger), they will get the two recliners with center storage.

On some floor plans that only have 60"...due to the width of the power recliners, we can only get a right an a left, no center console. That would be the 24RW, 30FW as I recall.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #7

Great explanation. I looked at ours last weekend and it looked like the center reclined, but didn't really investigate it. Will look at it this weekend to see how it works.
Hardhead417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Commercial Member

If you look in the gap between the seats (towards the rear of the middle seat) that is a small, black, plastic tab to pull that releases the foot rest.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

From our Isata 3 FW theater seating. Center has a pull tab to recline. Finally got photos to load properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isata theater seats (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	229725   Click image for larger version

Name:	isata center seat (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	229726  
Hardhead417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #10

BC, if you are still following this. Would this recliner seating fit in the Force 37TS? I actually started a thread looking for theatre seat that specifically did not have the large center storage piece, but didn't get any response that showed this piece or anything like it.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
BC, if you are still following this. Would this recliner seating fit in the Force 37TS? I actually started a thread looking for theatre seat that specifically did not have the large center storage piece, but didn't get any response that showed this piece or anything like it.
The center section is removable...that’s how they get shipped to us.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #12

I'm not following you. The Force theatre seats have a hard center armrest/storage. The one in this thread, which I guess is in an Isata-3, has a reclining center section.
"Yes/No. Where we can fit (3), we now fit (3). That is only on the 24FW Isata 3 and the 34KD on an M2 chassis. In most floor plans that have a 64" opening (All M2, other than the 34 KD which is larger), they will get the two recliners with center storage." I'm asking, will that unit fit in the M2 Force 37ST? I thought I read somewhere it has a 67" space for theatre seats. From your quote you indicate it does fit the M2 chassis. So is that the answer? If so, how do I get that?

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #13
Commercial Member

The only place that (3) recliners fit is the 24FW and 34KD. That setup requires 75”

Tags
bunk