Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #1

Button Barriers for the kiddos while looking as OEM as possible

My wife made it 6inches into our Force before she turned and ask the salesman "... is there a lockout for those buttons so the kids can't touch them?!". Let me tell you, she had our 2 boys (1.5 and 4.5) figured out dead to rights. My handle is FORCE of Nature because she refers to them as "Her Tornados". Once we got the blue monster home and the boys had free roam of the coach, the shiny glowing buttons called out their names and like rare earth magnets they were attracted immediately to the Fuse Panel, Light Control Panels and Yellow Air Brake knob. Anyway, I knew right away I was going to have to figure this one out quick. The Air Brake Knob I bought a lock for on amazon, nice and quick solve with added anti theft feature in the rig now.

As for the Fuse Panel and Light Control Panels we had to get custom. I knew I wanted to use Smoked Plexiglass/Acrylic so the lighted buttons could be seen thru the panel, but at first I struggled with if I was going to go frameless, or try and make small wood frames. Then it finally hit me, and I walked around the house until I found some of my wife's old college pictures in Photo Frames that were going to be PERFECT to cut in half, and then down to size for each panel. I bought the rest of the supplies on Amazon (as if that had to be stated). Everything is all held together with Black 3M VHB double sides tape which I have long loved. Some black Aquarium Acrylic hinges were used as well. Good old black velcro was used here and there as well, but you have to watch as some has a white adhesive side that would ruin the blacked out theme if that's what you want like this. The final ingredient were some rare earth magnet drawer/door clasps that serve as the "oomph" factor to deter or slow down the Tornados. These came with two sided tape as well eliminating the need for fasteners. The strength of these magnets is pretty intense as best indicated by the very satisfying Ka-thunk in the videos below. Just wanted to put this together and show what we did to at least slow the F5's down into F2 or F1 speed Tornados! May add another magnet to each door as the 5-ish year old figures "leverage" out... help me!

Below are links to some videos of them in action.
https://youtu.be/oibCGiN8e9c
https://youtu.be/LdQjIB6Tw3A
https://youtu.be/VqHPrV5t4Ic
https://youtu.be/-z8wvv1vMGs
https://youtu.be/U3ljcajRZLA

Fuse Panel Cover. Front Winegard Controls, Coax and USB
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	266816Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	266817

Name:	Front1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	266818Click image for larger version

Name:	Front2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	266820
FORCE of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 05:21 AM   #2

Me to DH: I want this immediately for the kitchen sink buttons
Old 12-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

Great Idea! I would do this for the PrecisionPlex panel that shine a low light on my mirror that shines on me at night.
Where did you get the frame for the plexiglass?
Old 12-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseHouse View Post
X2 - Great idea!

Outstanding workmanship by OP!
Old 12-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm43 View Post
Great Idea! I would do this for the PrecisionPlex panel that shine a low light on my mirror that shines on me at night.

Where did you get the frame for the plexiglass?
Appreciate the nice feedback! The frame was quite literally that, generic black picture frame like you would get from Walmart or Target.

The Precision Circuits unit was high enough I chose not to cover it as my oldest didn't seem to show interest in it yet (phew). That said the panel where my Precision Circuits screen lives is "sunk down" below the surface of the trim boards. You may be able to use the existing trim boards as your frame and hinge surface.

I also noticed the edges of the acrylic/plexiglass get a neat twinkle of the button light too, pretty neat at night time.
11FT Triton ATV Trailer / Artic Cat SXS
Retired: 2011 Dutchman Aerolite/2015 FR Heritage Glen
Old 12-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #6

Some additional pics and instructions for anyone interested

I took some more pictures and thought a little elaboration on the Frame I used was necessary to make it a little easier. Here is a link to a picture frame at Target that looks like it would work. A picture frame with a simple Square wood design is what you are after. This way you have a nice flat surface to stick the tape to. I was able to cut the picture frame in half leaving you with a U shape. I then "shortened" the cut side of the frame down to make each U shape custom fit around the various button panels. I want to say the Frames I used were for standard 4x6 or 5x7 prints. I honestly don't know because I shopped for them in our Hallway where my wife hangs LOTS of photos!

Plexiglass is very easy to crack in a straight line if you score it with a Utility Knife a handful of times. Getting the first cut straight with a long ruler or straight edge really helps. Then the real trick is making the "break" at the score point over a very sharp table/worktop edge so all the pressure is focused on the scored area. At only $10 for a 12"x12" sheet of the Plexiglass, I would just buy one and practice on it first if you are not familiar with it. Or, if you go to Lowes or Home Depot some of them have the glass and plexiglass cutting section and they can even do it there for a couple dollars a cut (this is from memory years ago, but still see the cutting area in my store).

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	266832 Click image for larger version

Name:	222.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	266833

Name:	333.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	266834 Click image for larger version

Name:	444.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	266835

Name:	555.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	266836 Click image for larger version

Name:	66.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	266837
Old 12-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Wonderful fixes and fine looking craftsmanship. This should get BClemens attention. I bet you could sell those easily.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

The frame project looks great and a job well done. Maybe I was lucky when my two girls were probably 4 years and 6 years old. At that age we were in a constant state of house remodeling for years. I had a talk with them and I told them they could get hurt if they ignored what I have to say about safety. It was a long time before I was finished enough to put on the electrical outlet covers. Never had a problem. Why is it kids today will not listen to their parents and keep hands off when told not to? I am just amazed that kids ignore their parents so much today compared when I grew up. (I'm 74 now)

This is just my spin on such problems today and is not an attack on the OP.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
The frame project looks great and a job well done. Maybe I was lucky when my two girls were probably 4 years and 6 years old. At that age we were in a constant state of house remodeling for years. I had a talk with them and I told them they could get hurt if they ignored what I have to say about safety. It was a long time before I was finished enough to put on the electrical outlet covers. Never had a problem. Why is it kids today will not listen to their parents and keep hands off when told not to? I am just amazed that kids ignore their parents so much today compared when I grew up. (I'm 74 now)

This is just my spin on such problems today and is not an attack on the OP.
Ahh yes, a tail as old as time itself! Beyond dwelling on words like entitlement and "its googles fault" , I think the Father is to blame here as he was a never ending bucket of curiosity himself. My first kiss was not from the girl next store, it was likely from the same 110V outlet you speak of that I just HAD to understand more! It lead to a successful engineering career though and early retirement to stay home with the boys. Admittedly the path had some "instantaneous" life lessons mixed in along the way, but I think most importantly is to encourage the curiosity on top of a good knowledge of WHY.... and HOLY COW does my 4.5yr old ask WHY
Just a couple of my favorites
“A knowledgeable curious mind is the bridging ground for ideas, whereas a knowledgeable person without a curious mind is like poetry without essence.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when one contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries to comprehend only a little of this mystery every day.”
Old 12-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
Another adventure awaits!

Button barriers

Why not just teach the children "No don't touch; these are not for you" ...
My husband and I never child-proofed our home or RV; answered many Why's, What's that, How does that work, what does it do ...

Saying that, the renos look great ...
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
My husband and I never child-proofed our home or RV; answered many Why's, What's that, How does that work, what does it do ...

The 4.5yr old listens quite well and often sounds the alarm on little one seeking out mischief. The 1.5yr old is priming up quickly for terrible two's though and PUSH THAT BUTTON HE SHALL! My Italian Grandmother had a saying that roughly translated to "Trying to tame a toddler is very similar to trying to dig a hole in water"

Quite pleased everyone is liking the work though, and appreciate the comment
Old 12-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post

Parenting left the building at some point between now and when my mom use to spank me with a wooden spoon. Things have changed in the past 30 plus years.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #13

I never had to do much with my sons. They learned early, you break it and you won't get another one for awhile. It kinda worked. My youngest grew up to have a career disarming bombs.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseHouse View Post

Ditto! Constantly doing the belly bump on the lights under kitchen sink.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:58 AM   #15

Looks great. Really clean look. I like it.
X3 on the kitchen buttons...we might need one there too.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #16

I agree that the children should not touch the controls and need to be taught early what their boundaries are. Also, what are the consequences of their actions. Teaching them young will save you headaches in the future as they grow up. Both of my boys were boys when growing up, ​but they knew their boundaries and what they could and could not do.

I wonder do you let the boys play with any controls in the house such as the stove.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I agree that the children should not touch the controls and need to be taught early what their boundaries are. Also, what are the consequences of their actions. Teaching them young will save you headaches in the future as they grow up. Both of my boys were boys when growing up, ​but they knew their boundaries and what they could and could not do.

I wonder do you let the boys play with any controls in the house such as the stove.
Oh, cool yet another one of these presumably older, greatest generation people who decided its life lesson time instead of ACTUAL REALITY. Must be nice!!! Adding button covers to prevent a newly walking almost 2yr old boy who is discovering motor skills and the world DEFINITELY and most obviously merits sideways comments about playing with Stoves and oddly placed Life Lesson time. Yes, I regularly allow my 1.5yr old and 4.5yr old to play with the stove.

There really are some old crotchety folks on this forum!!! How posting some button covers turned into a Life Lesson of why the younger generation just needs to teach people better moral foundation is staggeringly odd to me. BACK IN MY DAY!!!! Yeah yeah, we KNOW the snow was deep both directions, as were the hills uphill both ways. These are the things I will one day tell the younger generations myself, and its ABSOLUTELY what your own Grandparents said about you too...

I have a long day ahead of me though now that all this REFRESHING LIFE INSIGHT has been cast down upon me!!! I shall run upstairs and lay out all the things my son should not touch and insist to him that his 500 day old life was long enough to get adjusted to Yes/No boundaries and what he should and should not touch!! "Ok buddy, I know you don't speak or really understand these words coming out of my mouth, but the old people online said this is a REALLY important moment in your life, and I need you to NOT TOUCH this stuff... OK bud... No touchy or else you make dad look bad on the interwebs!!...

I will go with the real world where I am getting ahead of protecting my 300K investment from Murphys Law and curious boys and their friends!
Old 12-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCE of Nature View Post
Oh, cool yet another one of these presumably older, greatest generation people who decided its life lesson time instead of ACTUAL REALITY. Must be nice!!! Adding button covers to prevent a newly walking almost 2yr old boy who is discovering motor skills and the world DEFINITELY and most obviously merits sideways comments about playing with Stoves and oddly placed Life Lesson time. Yes, I regularly allow my 1.5yr old and 4.5yr old to play with the stove.

There really are some old crotchety folks on this forum!!! How posting some button covers turned into a Life Lesson of why the younger generation just needs to teach people better moral foundation is staggeringly odd to me. BACK IN MY DAY!!!! Yeah yeah, we KNOW the snow was deep both directions, as were the hills uphill both ways. These are the things I will one day tell the younger generations myself, and its ABSOLUTELY what your own Grandparents said about you too...

I have a long day ahead of me though now that all this REFRESHING LIFE INSIGHT has been cast down upon me!!! I shall run upstairs and lay out all the things my son should not touch and insist to him that his 500 day old life was long enough to get adjusted to Yes/No boundaries and what he should and should not touch!! "Ok buddy, I know you don't speak or really understand these words coming out of my mouth, but the old people online said this is a REALLY important moment in your life, and I need you to NOT TOUCH this stuff... OK bud... No touchy or else you make dad look bad on the interwebs!!...

I will go with the real world where I am getting ahead of protecting my 300K investment from Murphys Law and curious boys and their friends!

I agree. Many, Many, Many threads on this forum get off track very quickly and turn into “I told you so” or “remember when”.

Nice job posting a resolution to your problem. Dont take much account into the other comments. They have nothing better to do.

Keep it up and enjoy traveling with your kids.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I agree. Many, Many, Many threads on this forum get off track very quickly and turn into “I told you so” or “remember when”.

Nice job posting a resolution to your problem. Dont take much account into the other comments. They have nothing better to do.

Keep it up and enjoy traveling with your kids.

X2. If you don’t have something nice or constructive to add then it’s better to say nothing. Wondering how these self-proclaimed great parents ended up such wonderful kids when they don’t have basic social skills and manners themselves.

This a great mod that even those without kids could benefit from. Thanks for posting it. Ignore the negative people.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #20

Great mods. Thanks for posting them. Don’t pay attention to the negative stuff.
Back in my day……. LOL
2002 Yamaha V Star 1100
Cb25 Joe is offline   Reply With Quote