Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #41

Hey AKKW,

We had the same issue when we bought our 2018 Forest River FR3 DS29. The model year according to the dealership and Forest River is a 2018, but the Ford chassis is actually a 2017, so the wonderful state of California (being facetious) says it is a 2017. I’m guessing the chassis was built by Ford in 2017, delivered to a Forest River and the unit was not completed until 2018, hence Forest River calls it a 2018 year model. I seem to recall the dealership had us sign a notice indicating we were aware of the difference in years.
Hunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #42

Both of our Forester MBS 's registered in CA are registered as the manufacture year not the Sprinter chassis VIN. First one we bought in WA and had to go to CA DMV when we got home. DMV did a VIN verification and we were then registered in CA as mfg. year. The new Forester is registered as a 2919 even though the Sprinter is an 18. I'm thinking your DMV employee my be misinformed. Your coach should be registered per manufacture house year. FYI reg fees were $913. Expensive fuel and poor roads to boot.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Hmmm. I've brought two new out of state vehicles into CA. Both taken to any DMV off without an appointment. They do want a smog check (not applicable with my DX3). My RAM pickup was more of a hassle because I went to a busy DMV office. For the DX3 I waited 5 minutes for an inspector and they they took about 10 minutes to verify everything and give me my plates.
Did you have an out of state driver license when you brought those new vehicles into CA?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Not my issue. I wouldn't even travel to California let alone try to live there or register something there.

I'm with you, brother. Unfortunately, some of us are still stuck in Cali-for-commie land.

You folks in other states need to fight for your rights, NOW. Or lose them just like we have.

I went so far as to find a smog check loophole that exists for 8500gvw and greater vehicles: CA only does a visual check on these vehicles. I found a 2003 GMC 2500HD. It still costs $50 for the check, but at least it can't fail.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #45
Wheel Rider

chassis Vin numbers

I have recently found it very interesting looking at coaches that are for sale and doing a Vin check on them using vincheck. It shows the history of the chassis, where it was built and when it went to the RV manufacturer to be built and then if it's a used coach it tracks the sale dates.

With that in mind the build is not complete until the RV manufacturer has completed their up or down grades to it. The chassis year of some of the A class coaches are dated back in say 2014 yet it is a 2020 coach.
IMHO whomever was dealing with this title, as a previous owner mentioned, is doing the state a disservice because the registration costs will definitely be lower. I would adhere to Mr Clemens advice if I were you, as he is in the business.

Good luck in CA, pleased we moved away in 2014 and all the rigmorole going on there now.

Heres one place to check https://www.vehiclehistory.com/
wheelrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #46

Garyhopp, you are really scaring me! Stop, I can't take it....Oh yeah, I live in New York, California's stepchild wannabe state. At least our registrations are still cheap.

It is sad to see how California's distorted taxation and politics is spilling over to neighboring states such as Nevada or Colorado. Folks that can't afford to live in CA moving out, but then they demand and bring all of the problems they left CA for to their new state. Gotta be the salt from the Pacific blowing in during El Nino winds!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
The VIN verification form is fairly involved. AFAIK, only auto theft trained CHP officers are allowed to complete the form. It's much more than matching the paperwork with the VIN.
May apply to auto theft trained city cops and DMV employees as well.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=
I know this is a different comparison when I bought a used 1984 Honda 750 Interceptor in CA from a private party sometime in the early 2000's it wasn't registered in CA for over 10 years and from what I understand fell out of the system and I had to make an appointment and take it to a CHP Office for a visual inspection to renew the registration for whatever reason they wouldn't even allow me to watch the inspection.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #48

The only time I'm aware of NYS doing the secret inspections is when a vehicle is re-registered from scrap or salvage and I believe that is placed on the new title and reg's.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Interesting. Perhaps the difference is that in both my cases both vehicles were brand new with factory paperwork. I can see that used out of state vehicles could be a problem.
New vehicles come with a Certificate of Origin, no VIN verification needed.
But as mentioned, the 7500 mile rule applies..unless it has California emissions.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #50

When you go to DMV (or AAA) with something out of the ordinary you need to be prepared. The clerks don't know anything beyond the normal, they have to call a supervisor. I had to educate them on taking the RV endorsement test, nobody knew what it was or what I was supposed to do at first, then they found a supervisor (third or fourth the clerk asked) and they were close but wanted me to take the regular test, pay a fee, etc. all of which is not required but if I had not done my homework I'd have been screwed.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Did you have an out of state driver license when you brought those new vehicles into CA?
No. I live in CA. I just bought new vehicles out of state.

With my RAM I bought it in NV. The dealer sent the paperwork to a DMV office of my choice. I just presented my self to the DMV office. They had a stack of documents for other CA residents from other out of state dealers. I had to get a new smog test and DMV inspection verified Vin's etc.

The motorhome was easier. I carried all paperwork. No smog inspection. The DMV office just verified the VIN and did a walk around. BUT, CA sales tax and registration set us back $20K.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #52

Probably already been answered, but, working for an east coast, mid-sized insurance company writing both commercial and personal auto policies, the vehicle chassis VIN 10th position is the determining factor for vehicle year. My 5th wheel Shasta Phoenix was constructed in May 2016, marketed as a 2017 even though it never showed up in their 2017 literature. The 10th position of the VIN is H indicating 2017. I'm in the I.T. Department and have to deal with this every day including GM reusing the VIN to ID two different vehicles. Don't be surprised if your 2002 Avalanche suddenly gets identified as a Tahoe on your policy...
Herve Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
OK, never mind. I love a good mystery. So, after looking at all the 18's sold in NC, I was coming up blank other than one from Alaska, which might explain the screen name. BUT the repair items did not match some of the repairs you mention, so, I looked at some old posts and determined you got it from Lazydays...two weeks before your first post. That narrowed it down to Lazydays, Seffner, sold in early October which narrowed it down to 3 coaches.

The 2nd one, had a home address in NC, but VIN notes looking for dealers in Cali. And name initials of KW....I think we have a winner (I hope).

So, I guess I did not realize that we don't print the Forest River VIN on anything...I think it was confusing to the DMV. Trailers, ONLY use the Forest River VIN. Motors have one, but we don't really use it.

It is 5ZTCSGN08JC002067

And attached the Forest River CofO on your rig (I hope). It is just a copy, but shows your chassis VIN and Model year 2018.

I feel like I just unmasked the ghost on an episode of scooby doo. Maybe I missed my calling and I should go back to school for Forensic Science...other than I don't like blood, so there's that.
I am simply astonished at the lengths you go to for people here even though some are less then friendly. My hats off to you Sir.
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:09 AM   #54

Ca registration

We purchased our Sprinter based Sunseeker in 2016 in Nevada. It had 4900 miles on it. The previous registration listed it as a 2016. Ca DMV told us to take it to the CHP they stated they didn't need to look at it. DMV accepted that. They went out and wrote down our VIN and registered it as a 2015 as it had a 2015 chassis. We have no plans of selling so we didn't fight them. Figured were saving some in fees. Tags are 500+/year. Yes smog every two years which sucks on a new vehicle. We were told that is due to so many truck owners deleting emissons on trucks. I knew nothing about the rvia sticker having a vin on it. I had heard that Forest River put the build year vin in a kitchen cabinet but I couldn't find it.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #55

The only reason for smog checks every 2 years is state income. CARB has a 1 billion dollar annual budget, funded by smog checks.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #56

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions! Going to the DMV on Tuesday, wish me luck!
akkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #57

Quote:
No. I live in CA. I just bought new vehicles out of state.

With my RAM I bought it in NV. The dealer sent the paperwork to a DMV office of my choice. I just presented my self to the DMV office. They had a stack of documents for other CA residents from other out of state dealers. I had to get a new smog test and DMV inspection verified Vin's etc.

The motorhome was easier. I carried all paperwork. No smog inspection. The DMV office just verified the VIN and did a walk around. BUT, CA sales tax and registration set us back $20K.
I wonder how they missed the part of the law that does not allow CA residents to bring in an out of state vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I wonder how they missed the part of the law that does not allow CA residents to bring in an out of state vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it.
Maybe it was my friendly smile and easy going demeaner. Or, maybe it has to do with Sales Tax. I had to pay CA sales tax even though I bought it in TX. Paid no tax in TX.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #59
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkw View Post
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions! Going to the DMV on Tuesday, wish me luck!
Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Maybe it was my friendly smile and easy going demeaner. Or, maybe it has to do with Sales Tax. I had to pay CA sales tax even though I bought it in TX. Paid no tax in TX.
Not unusual and sounds like you told the dealer that you were going to register it in CA and therefore even if you paid TX sales tax (6% on new vehicles) it probably would have been sent to CA and you would have to pay the difference there when registering. I'm thinking.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california