Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Maybe it was my friendly smile and easy going demeaner. Or, maybe it has to do with Sales Tax. I had to pay CA sales tax even though I bought it in TX. Paid no tax in TX.
I was past the time required (90 days) but they drug out the 7500 mile law. I got an out of state license to match then I was ok. Maybe you purchased vehicles that were 50 state approved.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #62

They were 50 state approved.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Not unusual and sounds like you told the dealer that you were going to register it in CA and therefore even if you paid TX sales tax (6% on new vehicles) it probably would have been sent to CA and you would have to pay the difference there when registering. I'm thinking.
THIS^^^^^
When bought our new trailer in Chicago, to bring it back to California, the dealer charged us Illinois sales tax. But they said once we registered it in California, it would be sent to California DMV. California DMV charged us the balance since their sales tax was higher than Illinois.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Do not go with the flow. If it is a 2018 motorhome, they should register it as a 2018 motorhome. It will have TWO titles. The chassis title and the OEM (Forest River) title. The dealer should have give you both.

The mfg VIN (ours) is what determines model year on a motorhome.

If you go to the interactive owners manual, I always attache a copy of the RVIA letter on model year.

https://forestriverinc.help/#/dynama...7-627444F8ADAC

Interesting! I purchased an older used R-Vision Trail Lite motor home last summer. It was built on a 2002 Chevy cutaway incomplete vehicle chassis and was titled in Iowa using the Chevy VIN and a description of a 2003 Trail Lite on the seller's Iowa title. I'm still waiting on Missouri to issue my title since the local license office screwed up part of the paperwork. I don't know what I'm going to end up with as a description, but since I don't have a lot in it, I'm not really worried.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #65

So the latest update. Maybe the 3rd time to the DMV will be the charm! Went to the DMV today with my C of O, RVIA statement, NC and FL registrations and the information from the CHP officer that it should be registered as a 2018. I asked for a supervisor, the first person I explained it to had no idea what I was talking about. Long story short, the supervisor said she had never seen this in her 12 years at the DMV and apparently I had "an attitude"! So now I'm back to going to the CHP office and then to the DMV office, again. My wife is seriously talking about moving back east! This on top of the local Post Office losing the plate that I sent back to NC. Apparently it never left the local office but they don't know where it is! Why did I move to CA?
akkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #66

Welcome to California and the rudest people in America - California DMV personnel. I lived in Ca fir clues to 30 years and never ceased to amazed at the people working there and their lack of knowledge if willingness to help you solve a problem. As stated in an earlier post, I had this problem too (2017 MBS Sprinter on a 2016 chassis sold as 2018) which came back from Oregon DMV as a 2916. Oregon DMV worked with me to resolve and get register as a 2027 plus s follow up call to make sure all was correct. Not enough if anything to get me to move back to Ca.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
THIS^^^^^
When bought our new trailer in Chicago, to bring it back to California, the dealer charged us Illinois sales tax. But they said once we registered it in California, it would be sent to California DMV. California DMV charged us the balance since their sales tax was higher than Illinois.
That is standard since the government likes money and only gets it by taking it from people who they can force to give it. The rest are collectors.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkw View Post
So the latest update. Maybe the 3rd time to the DMV will be the charm! Went to the DMV today with my C of O, RVIA statement, NC and FL registrations and the information from the CHP officer that it should be registered as a 2018. I asked for a supervisor, the first person I explained it to had no idea what I was talking about. Long story short, the supervisor said she had never seen this in her 12 years at the DMV and apparently I had "an attitude"! So now I'm back to going to the CHP office and then to the DMV office, again. My wife is seriously talking about moving back east! This on top of the local Post Office losing the plate that I sent back to NC. Apparently it never left the local office but they don't know where it is! Why did I move to CA?
The only reason I can think of is the weather and choices of so many types of land features in one place. Surely not the government with its union protected incompetent personnel. Gold bricks. I don't have to to help you and I don't have to do or know my job but I am fireproof and keep getting paid.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
Interesting! I purchased an older used R-Vision Trail Lite motor home last summer. It was built on a 2002 Chevy cutaway incomplete vehicle chassis and was titled in Iowa using the Chevy VIN and a description of a 2003 Trail Lite on the seller's Iowa title. I'm still waiting on Missouri to issue my title since the local license office screwed up part of the paperwork. I don't know what I'm going to end up with as a description, but since I don't have a lot in it, I'm not really worried.

Title was in the mailbox today! Finally! Title described as 2003 Trail Lite as it should be based on the RVIA document referenced earlier in the thread.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california