Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

Campground Resorts, what’s the attraction?

I’ve only stayed very few times at Resorts. I like them for rally’s because it allows everyone to be close together and the rally buildings are a definitely a bonus.

As far as everyday camping I never stay at them. The ones I’ve seen are just huge open fields with concrete pads. No shade, scenery, and the pads are very close together. On top of all that they charge a premium price compared to state and National parks.

So what’s the attraction? Obviously I’m missing something but can’t imagine what it is.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

I don't like them but my daughter does. Pools, recreation rooms with filtered water, coffee provided, upscale laundy, ice on demand, bbq area, recreation activities like card games, movie night, etc.
I'm with you.... I like wooded areas with plenty of space.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I did like the lazy river at the last one, but agree, we try to stay at national/state parks for most things.

Payne in Acworth was really nice. Wooded, lake access and their "premium pull through site" was about $24 or something. I thought maybe that was a deposit...but that was full price.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
Site Team

It depends on what you are defining as a "resort".

I know of at least 2 places that were defined as "family campgrounds" but then were bought by a corporation and they changed the name and included the word "RV resort" at the end. Very little or nothing was changed about the layout of the campground and it's amenities.

But the prices doubled...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I’ve only stayed very few times at Resorts. I like them for rally’s because it allows everyone to be close together and the rally buildings are a definitely a bonus.

As far as everyday camping I never stay at them. The ones I’ve seen are just huge open fields with concrete pads. No shade, scenery, and the pads are very close together. On top of all that they charge a premium price compared to state and National parks.

So what’s the attraction? Obviously I’m missing something but can’t imagine what it is.
I don't get it either. I've stayed at a few of these places if they were close to a major attraction we were going to, or for an overnighter on the way to something better. I find them dull and uninteresting. I'll take boondocking, state park, national park camping over those any day. But to each their own.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #6

We like them in fact MI. has several that my wife and I will stay at. Such as Duck Creek in Muskegon, MI., Rivers Ridge Resort in Standwood, MI. and Hidden Ridge in Hopkins, MI. to name a few. There are several reasons that we will use them over a state park. The number one reason is a sewer, than 50 amp electric water, cement pad long enough to fit my truck and trailer on. We want full hook-ups!

Trees are spaced so, they will not rip my roof or scratch the trailer sides. For the most part the road surface is paved so, there is less dust with traffic passing by. Another thing to remember is when the trailer is 13'-6" tall and 37' long you do not fit in very will at state parks or parks that are not will maintained. So, I will pay the extra money for a deaccent resort to stay at.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #7

It all boils down to convenience.

With parking, with utilities, with having things for the kiddos to do, places to get beer, etc.

In the end conviniece sells.

Just look at the prices for a bundle of firewood at those places as an example.

I'm with you though. Id rather boondock where I can't even see my neighbors and have to spend some time generating electricity and running for water.

Edit: if you like irony that's all posted while we sit in a campground enjoying a lot of these conveniences lol. Though I wouldn't call it a resort
Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
Defender of America

They offer what their customers want. It's called Capitalism!
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #9

You might get more responses if this was posted in the General topics forum vs the Dynamax forum. Unless, of course you were looking for responses related to your rig.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Dahagen

When I go camping, I stay at state parks, national parks, BLM land, and forest service parks so you can see the sights. In the winter, I go south and stay in resorts. The resorts in the southwest include pools and every type of activity you could ever want.You can have it all in one place.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I would also pay more for the Margarita/Miami Vice station at the last resort we were at. Very convenient to walk right outside of my rig and find this station set up.

That service needs to become a "filter" item now for future amenities.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #12

I've had at least one miserable stay at a "resort". But we have thoroughly enjoyed places like Anchor Down, WillowTree and Fort Wilderness. We camp mostly on weekends and holidays and I just like the glamping side of camping. Now that we are a little more experienced and our kid is older, I am ready to get more adventurous and try some state parks and Harvest Hosts.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
We like them in fact MI. has several that my wife and I will stay at. Such as Duck Creek in Muskegon, MI., Rivers Ridge Resort in Standwood, MI. and Hidden Ridge in Hopkins, MI. to name a few. There are several reasons that we will use them over a state park. The number one reason is a sewer, than 50 amp electric water, cement pad long enough to fit my truck and trailer on. We want full hook-ups!

Trees are spaced so, they will not rip my roof or scratch the trailer sides. For the most part the road surface is paved so, there is less dust with traffic passing by. Another thing to remember is when the trailer is 13'-6" tall and 37' long you do not fit in very will at state parks or parks that are not will maintained. So, I will pay the extra money for a deaccent resort to stay at.
I agree with you 100%
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #14

Rv Resorts

Agree with Jim34RL…most State parks, National parks cannot handle 62’ long rigs. My 2015 Force 37BH plus 25’ boat/motor/trailer is just too lengthy for most parks. Most do not have pull-thrus, most have overhanging branches, no sewer connection, etc. They do charge less but you get less. I boondock frequently at Walmart, Cracker Barrel (after dropping the boat in a remote corner of the parking area), Bass Pro Shops (Memphis) and Interstate rest stops. The Onan genset does it’s thing, quietly, along with the onboard water tank/pump and the gray/black tanks function as advertised. Very comfortable and very convenient. After a few days on the road we find a nice resort with a pool, full hookups, etc., and recharge, empty tanks and so forth. I would very much like remoteness,
fewer $$ per night but big rigs are not the focus of State/Federal campgrounds.
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #15

Some people like Motel 6...others like the Sheraton Grand.

I don't go camping period. I go to places I want to visit and play in and I don't want to give up cable or wifi or swimming pools etc,
I've never had a campfire in any of the 48 states we've driven to. Now when I have to book a RESORT in October for July or be told 6 months ahead of time that they're only taking only 3 month rentals and not monthly ones in the winter....I know I'm not alone.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #16

Well, there's the social aspect. The Cherokee 38P destination trailer is permanently sited at a "resort." We know all our neighbors and join them at the pool, or for darts, petanque, horseshoes, minigolf, in the restaurant, group dinners, karaoke, etc. The resort has lots more amenities, and one feature that's not real common that's a big draw. You can't get that at a park where everyone's transient.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many so called 'resorts' offer things like firewood delivery to your site, daily garbage pick-up, paved roads and sites, cart rentals, paver patios, covered picnic tables, swings/gliders, Tiki huts, outdoor living areas/bars, lodge clubhouses, restaurants, huge pools/spas game rooms, lots and lots of planned activities and on and on.

Obviously, not every campground that touts being a 'resort' have these things but folks will flock to the ones that do since they never need to leave the campground for anything once they arrive. Here on the East Coast, they fill up and sell out every site. Families love them because they can stay a week or more and never have to take the kids anywhere. It becomes a destination vacation.

Pays to do your homework when booking at a 'resort.'

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
You might get more responses if this was posted in the General topics forum vs the Dynamax forum. Unless, of course you were looking for responses related to your rig.
In the general topics forum I would expect more trailer folks who need full hookups and have a truck load of kids. This post was more focused on Dynamax self contained vehicles with solar and generators that are very capable boondockers.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #19

I don’t like them either. On my recent trip I cancelled all my reservations in upstate ID and WA when the unprecedented heat wave was coming in( 105-118 degrees thirty miles from Canada!) I decided to wing it and head to WA and OR coasts without reservations on 4th of July week. I ended up one night at Thousand Trails, Long Bch. WA. I was squeezed in on three sides, unable to let out my awning all the way. People camping on the other side using my site for their firewood all over the place. I end up keeping my blinds closed, not my idea of fun camping AND overpriced.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
In the general topics forum I would expect more trailer folks who need full hookups and have a truck load of kids. This post was more focused on Dynamax self contained vehicles with solar and generators that are very capable boondockers.
You're still going to get responses from people with all types of RVs. Most won't bother to see which sub-forum this is posted in.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg