Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Cannot power up the coach

My 2016 DX3 was in storage for 3 weeks with a 110 volt shore power connection. When I got to the RV the couch had no power and the remote Xantrex panel would not light up.

The truck started without a problem and eventually, I was able to start the generator. Later I turned the truck off but left the generator running. However, at some point the generator stopped on its own. It seems the generator will only stay running with the truck engine is running as well.

The coach batteries are 5-6 volts with nothing running and 13.97 when I run the generator.

The red fault light on when I look at the Xantrex but pressing the reset button doesn’t do anything. I’m right at the inverter/charge and not the control panel.

Also I checked all the fuses and circuit breakers and they are all functioning.

Overnight I got the RV onto a 50 amp connection but that didn’t change anything.

I don’t know how much it matters but the RV is stored under a carport in Tucson where the weather has been 105 to 112 every day.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

My generator turned off a couple of times while driving across Arizona when it was 120 out. Yours probably got too hot, and went into an autostop. I would vote that batteries are no good...or the charge controller is bad. Will be curious what others say. I am convinced that the extreme desert heat is bad for RVs. My AC control board fried during my recent trip too!!
randocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Commercial Member

batteries could be toast. If the power went out or voltage got low, settings on the inverter could have been reset to default "Search mode enabled"...that could kick the charger off.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freedom SW 3012 Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (1.51 MB, 141 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

Since my last post. Today I turned the coach batteries off at the switch in the battery compartment. I also turned the engine battery off at the driver's seat, also there was no shore power. At this point the Xantres charger/inverter powered down. I left it this way for 30 minutes and then turned the coach batteries back on. I could hear the Xantrex powering up. Inside the coach at the panel I finally got a battery reading (Low) and it behaved properly when I press that buttons. I plugged in the shore power and it looks like the batteries are being charged and power is back into the coach. I cannot explain what happened. My only guess is a thunder/lighting storm caused a problem in which the system froze and over time the batteries died. I would like to hear other thoughts however. I will have to closely monitor the batteries to see if they will maintain their charge.

I followed the guide Mr Clemens posted. The only thing I had to change was the battery type. It was set to flood and I changed it to AGM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

I’ll note that in 2.5 years of ownership I’ve had my inverter freeze up on me 2 or 3 tines. Unresponsive touch panel and no output. There’s a resent button down on the inverter itself that’ll power it on/off and reset it. These things can be complex and like a computer sometimes just need a reboot.

Mine is a xantrex inverter (guessing yours is the same)

The red button on the remote panel is NOT the same thing. That one just puts it in standby (do nothing) mode and did not resolve my freeze ups
Old 08-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #6

Possible Explanation

Was there actually AC power at the shore power connection? From your description, the coach batteries were essentially “FLAT.” When lead acid batteries are completely dead (discharged in the 5 to 6-volt range), there is only “WATER” in the cells. It takes a very long time before current can flow though water and start the batteries recharging once the charging process is resumed. Likely there is a good amount of crystalized “SULFATE” on the battery plates and an equalization charge is in order to restore them to the best capacity that can be anticipated after a complete discharge that can result in some capacity loss.

Also, there could be a generator/converter problem as the converter should have provided any necessary current to keep the generator running once the generator was supplying current to the coach. Unless of course the generator shut down due to heat or other reasons other than electrical. I don’t know it is possible to turn the chassis battery OFF at the driver’s seat. Generally, the driver’s seat provides means to use the coach batteries to start the engine when momentarily held closed. Perhaps yours is different than most.

If your coach has an EMS surge protector, a storm, low voltage, high voltage, or a lighting strike could have cased the EMS to disconnect your coach from shore power to protect it and sacrificing the coach batteries in the process if the inverter was left turned ON when in storage. I turn my inverter off during storage.

Battery type is only important as far as charging batteries are concerned and whether AGM or Flooded, there is not much of a difference between the two. Only GEL batteries can be damaged by improper high charging currents.

Some coach problems will never show their ugly head until certain things change to make an existing problem apparent.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

Look for a loose connection on one of the battery terminals. Happened to me and it was a love ground. Simple.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #8

Thank you for the Freedom SW 3012 troubleshooting pdf.

As luck would have, we are ready to head out on a trip and are having some power difficulties.

After shutting off truck engine, coach power goes out after a few minutes and everything in coach shuts down. Everything restarts when engine turned on.

I went through the troubleshooting guide trying to get the green light on the AC In/Charge light. It would not light up after resetting the inverter itself in the driver side storage compartment, with the engine running or the engine off.

However, the green light did come on with the generator running. Is that indicative of anything?

Leaving the generator running for a while to hopefully get some juice, and will see what the morning brings.

Thank you.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #9

Check your battery voltages. The inverter does wierrrrrd stuff if it doesn't have minimum voltage. Even when fed generator or shore power (probably because it can't sense those without a minimal amount of 12v)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #10

Thank you. I'm still learning about power

Coach had no power again this morning. Started truck engine, then waited for coach systems to come to life.

Generator has been running for about an hour and xantrex reads as shown on photo below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xantrex panel 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	208420  
Old 06-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Whenever you get power from the chassis and not shore power, I think that normally ends up being the solenoid that connects all the batteries together. That seems to be the weak link.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Consumer of Space

Its almost as if the battery disconnect for the chassis batteries is disconnected and the circuit doesn't see power until the BIRD kicks in... Maybe check the fuses?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #13

Check for continuity across the solenoid posts. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Replaced the solenoid and everything back to normal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BBB460B-7DEF-46D6-A251-F6DCDAB79C9E.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	208732  
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 AM   #14

Thank you. We are experimenting through the last four days or our trip, then will trouble shoot at home. Fortunately we have an RV refrigerator so can get by with very little power. Using battery powered camp lamps and pouring water in toilet to not use water pump. Battery seems to get a little storage from solar, but I haven't tried to see how quickly it will run out because we want the fridge to keep lighting.

We now have a couple of days with shore power, and all systems are working fine.

We will see how it goes on the last couple of days without shore power.

Tags
power